Installer Integrity Check Has Failed

edited April 2010 in Game Support
I'm getting the NSIS integrity error on my S&M 301 installer. I've re-downloaded the installer three times already. I'm running Windows 7 Pro x64 and have already installed and played S&M season 1 successfully from the DVD.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Have you tried deleting your browser cache before redownloading?

Do you use any download managers and have you tried disabling them?

Have you tried using a different browser?

Deleting the browser cache:
    Before downloading the game again you should delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

Internet Explorer 7: In the menu choose "Extras/Delete Browsing History...". In the resulting Window select "Delete files..." for "Temporary Internet Files".

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer 8 you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.

In Firefox you would only select "Cache".

In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files".
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.
  • edited April 2010
    No dice. Tried emptying Chrome's cache, tried used IE. I've never had a download manager. Still same integrity error.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    What kind of internet connection do you have?

Do you have another computer you could download it with?

Do you have any security software that could interfere?
    Then try downloading and installing during a clean boot.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited April 2010
    I have Comcast DSL. Downloading on my laptop through my wireless and transferring it over on thumb drive produced the same error. The only security I'm running is MSE. A clean boot following all those instructions produced the same error.

I suspect this is the same problem that causes a few .rar's to insist that I have the incorrect password no matter how many times I download them. I've never found a solution for that either.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Paine wrote: »
    Downloading on my laptop through my wireless and transferring it over on thumb drive produced the same error.

It sounds like a problem with your network hardware. I had a case of a defective modem causing that kind of problem once.
    I assume your laptop uses the same internet connection as your desktop?

Just to be sure: Does the installer also fail on your laptop?
  • edited April 2010
    Try using a download manager, that worked for me.
  • edited April 2010
    punisox wrote: »
    Try using a download manager, that worked for me.

Thought i'd add that i had the same problem but download manager to help solve it for me so it probably varies from person to person. However... get this... it worked on my last resort was downloading it through bitcomet. So if your still stuck download bitcomet and try downloading it through that and it should work.
  • edited April 2010
    The laptop is the same connection, but wireless instead of wired. I can't try the installer since the laptop is a Mac, so the file would be different.

I've usually avoided download managers since I don't like extraneous software on my computer. Anyone have a suggestion for a small simple manager?
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm having the same issue. It's a little strange, I've never had any issues downloading from Steam, or GOG.com, but I'm a little concerned that it might be my roommate's router. I might try downloading from work tomorrow night after everyone goes home, heh.
  • SegSeg
    edited April 2010
    Just checking in with some background on why the Integrity check exists.

This check is a basic CRC check to make sure the file you downloaded is exactly the one we created here in the studio. If we didn't have the check, it would be very hard to know if your download was complete and unaltered. This is espeically an issue with large files.

If the CRC check wasn't in and the install happened anyway, you wouldn't have all the game data and who knows what broken things would happen!
  • edited April 2010
    Well, I got it working by downloading the installer from another source. Thanks for the help, I guess my internet is strangely broken.
  • edited April 2010
    I downloaded the game with IE8, Chrome and Bitcomet but the game doesn't work and I still get the NSIS integrity error.
    The MSconfig trick doesn't work either. Is there anything I can do besides trying a different internetconnection?
  • edited April 2010
    Also having the problem. I'm on XP, SP 3 and IE 8. Msconfig is clear (I make sure I do this on a regular basis), all I've got running is ZoneAlarm and AVG antivirus. I've tried downloading with DAP and with regular downloads, neither of which appear to be working.

I've never previously had a problem with Telltale games downloads, so it must be something specific to Sam&Max 3.

I don't suppose there's any alternate download links, is there?

Edit: Yep, I've tried about seven times now, still not working.

Of note: The file keeps saying it's 436.56 meg when it downloads, but registsers as 447.042 in Explorer. Thta might be symtomatic of the problem.

I can try tomorrow and use my sister's upstairs computer and see if it works any better there. Else I'm pretty much SOL, as they say, until the nice chaps at Telltale can figure out what the problem is and fix it.
  • edited April 2010
    You did try turning off both (AVG and ZoneAlarm) before starting the DL, right?
  • edited April 2010
    I ended up activating the game on Steam, where it downloaded successfully. Looking forward to playing tomorrow. :D
    Seg wrote: »
    Just checking in with some background on why the Integrity check exists.

This check is a basic CRC check to make sure the file you downloaded is exactly the one we created here in the studio. If we didn't have the check, it would be very hard to know if your download was complete and unaltered. This is espeically an issue with large files.

If the CRC check wasn't in and the install happened anyway, you wouldn't have all the game data and who knows what broken things would happen!
    I get the purpose of the CRC check, but it just seems strange that it's happening so consistently when I don't have problems with other DD services. Of course, maybe they don't perform the CRC check and I've been playing horrible broken games? I dunno. It's just a little frustrating trying to download something from you guys multiple times, then finding that it works just fine elsewhere.
  • edited April 2010
    You did try turning off both (AVG and ZoneAlarm) before starting the DL, right?

No, because a) I haven't had problems with it before with Telltale stuff (or indeed any other downloads) and b) - and more pertinently - it was taking 20-30 mins to download yesterday.

I might try that as very, very last resort. I am next going to try on my sister's machine upstairs now she's not doing unimportant, non-Sam & Max related things like sleeping...

Edit:

Right. That appeared to download on my sister's machine and work on both that and my main machine once brought over via USB stick, despite the file seeming completely identical to the others that failed.

The downstairs machine is linked directly to the modem, whiole the upstairs is wireless, so I don't think it's a connectivity error issue.

The only other major difference between them I can think of is that my current machine is using a beta version of Zone Alarm which the upstairs one isn't. (And I'm only using a beta because of the conflict that arose between ZA and AVG a few months ago that lead to the internet behaving very erractically. In actuality, the beta version seems to have replaced one problem with another, which is why I haven't tweaked any of the other machines.) This may or may not be the culprit, but it might be a possibility. I mention it anyway.

If it is, one workaround might be to trying disabling ZA while you INSTALL the game (rather than while downloading it and seeing if that works). (I'm not going trying it myself, now, since I've just got it to work!)

Clearly, whatever is casuing this glitch is quite subtle, though.
This discussion has been closed.