Grain or video problems?

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
I started Episode 1 of Season 3 and I'm introduced by this yellow tint in the intro. Is this some grain filter, or is this some video corruption problems?

sm3x.jpg

This is a downsized pic. It's much more obvious fullscreen @ 1080p.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    it's supposed to be grainy for cinematic effect
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010
    I don't like the effect much. Maybe, there should be an option to turn that effect off.
  • edited April 2010
    No, cinematic experience is always for the better in my opinion.
  • edited April 2010
    I thought it would just be the intro, but the full game has that ugly filter. Please make it optional. This isn't cinematic, it's downright distracting.
  • edited April 2010
    The filter could be ok, but the problem is that this effect enlight the scene too much - see the screenshot: the black backdrop turned out grey/brown.
  • edited April 2010
    No, cinematic experience is always for the better in my opinion.

You may say that, but an option to turn that particular effect on or off would still be welcome :)
  • edited April 2010
    I'd have to agree with OMA, I'm not liking this effect. It makes the graphics seem worse than the previous titles so far in my opinion, or perhaps that's a combination of other things.
  • edited April 2010
    I like the effect. It makes the graphics look better, not worse.
  • edited April 2010
    I'd have to agree with OMA, I'm not liking this effect. It makes the graphics seem worse than the previous titles so far in my opinion, or perhaps that's a combination of other things.

...hmmmmm

samnmax_s3_1_klein.jpg
    samnmax_s3_2_klein.jpg

The streets and everything looks much more dirty. True :(
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010
    The graphics are definitely NOT worse :)
    But still that effect is annoying sometimes. Not a big issue, though.
  • edited April 2010
    OMA wrote: »

Actually, after playing some more, don't mind my comment. It does look nice, it's just the film grain I'm having trouble getting used to.

Edit: What the? That was strange. I just went into the bar, and the cinematic fuzz went away in there, but I thought it was particular to that region. But then when I went back into the city streets it was gone, it looks much better now. Sorry for my previous comment :).
  • edited April 2010
    I don't like the effect much. Maybe, there should be an option to turn that effect off.
    vocab wrote: »
    I thought it would just be the intro, but the full game has that ugly filter. Please make it optional. This isn't cinematic, it's downright distracting.

This pretty much sums up my experiance with the film grain filter. While I do appreciate the attempt at making it look like filmed footage from the BetaMax era, it dropped my FPS like Hell on Quality Level 1 on full screen mode at the default screen size. The only way I was able to bring it up to Quality Level 3 (the same level I played ToMI on) was to set the resolution to 800 x 600 and turn off full screen. Something I didn't have to do with ToMI.
  • edited April 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    This pretty much sums up my experiance with the film grain filter. While I do appreciate the attempt at making it look like filmed footage from the BetaMax era, it dropped my FPS like Hell on Quality Level 1 on full screen mode at the default screen size. The only way I was able to bring it up to Quality Level 3 (the same level I played ToMI on) was to set the resolution to 800 x 600 and turn off full screen. Something I didn't have to do with ToMI.

Wait, what? Turning off full screen normally has a negative impact on frame-rates, in my experience.
  • edited April 2010
    Turning off Full Screen minimized the filter on my monitor to the point where it was practically invisible unless the scene had a large amount of black areas.

And for some reason, that actually helped me increase my frame rate and quality level.
  • edited April 2010
    I like the grain filter. It adds a nice touch, as it, for what experience, is subtle enough. The amount of the filter in Mass Effect 1 is, if anything, overdoing it.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, i like the grain filter in S&M. Didn't like it in Mass Effect or The Lot and Damned. That said, if I could sacrifice the grain filter so my grtaphics card could handle the real-time shadows I would
  • edited April 2010
    Bah, double-post mcpoo
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, I'm not really sure how to describe what happened. I played the tutorial fine and noticed that the graphics looked great. But then when I got on the street it seemed as though the film grain from the cinematic had stuck, making everything seem worse... I don't really know how else to explain it. I stopped my play session there and came back a while later. For some reason, when I went to Stinkys, the heavy film grain went away and the game looked a lot better. I'm glad it was a just a little bug otherwise it would have taken away from the visuals.
  • edited April 2010
    Is it turning into a vote about the film graining effect? :)

I don't like it too much - it's not too disturbing, but I'd definitely like to be able to turn it off.
    On the other hand, it's my biggest issue with the game so far :cool:
  • edited April 2010
    I think the bigger issue here is that we need to start seeing customizable graphics settings and key mappings. Even if they're hidden behind some big scary button to frighten new users from messing with things they don't know about, it'd be really nice to let us get in there and pick and choose what effects are important to us, and customize how we want to control the game, etc.

:)
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I think the bigger issue here is that we need to start seeing customizable graphics settings and key mappings. (...)

Unfortunately, besides the obvious extra work with the configuration GUI, it would also mean a lot of extra testing (at least the graphics, the keys less so). It can be a problem with the monthly release schedule.
  • MRNMRN
    edited April 2010
    It's the grain filter on the PS3 aswell?

I didnt notice it.........
  • edited April 2010
    Okay, so I didn't even notice the grain filter until after everyone was complaining about it. Even now, I don't find it very bothersome at all. I'm not quite sure why its such a problem, but perhaps making it slightly less obvious might be the solution.

Then again, I don't really care.
  • edited April 2010
    I guess I'm the only one where the filter causes a frame rate drop.:(
  • edited April 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    I guess I'm the only one where the filter causes a frame rate drop.:(
    You don't know that. It could just be that the game is slightly more advanced then TOMI.
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I think the bigger issue here is that we need to start seeing customizable graphics settings and key mappings.
    Agreed. My monitor has a pretty high native resolution (2560x1600) which causes lots of trouble if I leave antialiasing turned on. ..but this game doesn't give the option of disabling that one feature so my framerate plummets after switching from graphics quality 6 to 7.

After manually disabling antialiasing in my graphics drivers, the framerate was back up to normal, even at quality 9.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.