Sam & Max 301 steam version crash at startup

edited August 2010 in Game Support
I just ordered and downloaded the new Sam and Max from Steam, but it crashes on startup. My screens flicker (dual monitor setup) and appear to change the resolution, but then I just get the the "SamMax301.exe has stopped working" error message. I am running Windows 7 64bit. DxDiag.tx in zip file attached.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Delkarnu wrote: »
    I just ordered and downloaded the new Sam and Max from Steam, but it crashes on startup. My screens flicker (dual monitor setup) and appear to change the resolution, but then I just get the the "SamMax301.exe has stopped working" error message. I am running Windows 7 64bit. DxDiag.tx in zip file attached.
    Try disabling your second screen - that made it work for me...
  • edited April 2010
    Disabled the desktop on screen 2, ran the program. no issues, but it did re-enable screen 2. Still needs a patch to fix the startup issue.
  • edited April 2010
    Just to say I'm having the exact same issue.

Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4Ghz
    HD5770 1Gb graphics
    Windows 7 64-bit.

2 monitors. I like to have my second monitor for browsing the internet/IMing friends, so a fix would be appreciated. And disabling the monitor isn't really a fix.
  • edited April 2010
    I am having the same exact problem and really I don't think we should be I know it is a little bit of a flame but common Telltale the other 2 seasons worked just fine along with Monkeys Island, Wallace and Gromit and etc with dual monitor and there were no issues this is 2010 get use to the idea people use more then one monitor I for one can not disable my 2nd mon cause I use it for other things that require my attention through out the day.

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE A PATCH?!?

I am running Win 7 64bit, bought the steam ver, 8gb ram and 260gtx vc.

Here is the crash info after I run the game and it goes black then this comes up

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: SamMax301.exe
    Application Version: 2010.4.14.42569
    Application Timestamp: 4bc62d46
    Fault Module Name: SamMax301.exe
    Fault Module Version: 2010.4.14.42569
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4bc62d46
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 001a2a88
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
    C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
  • edited April 2010
    Core 2 Quad, GeForce 9600 GT, Windows 7 64bit, bought game on Steam. 1680x1050 on main monitor, 1024x768 on secondary. Same issue of crash on start up - and yes, disabling the second monitor (via NVIDEA Control Panel > Set up multiple displays) allows the game to run. Nice fix, but a pain in the behind.
  • edited April 2010
    Having the same problem here.....Windows 7 64bit, ATI 5850, dual monitors: 1680x1050 primary, 1440x900 secondary.
  • edited May 2010
    Well I got the game to run and I shouldn't have had to do it this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I HAD TO DO was get cracked exe then it ran just fine! So I setup my video settings and then went back out of the game and put the original exe back in place and guess what

IT RAN FINE

I am by no means promoting piracy in anyway thus I will not tell ANYONE where to go to get the crack. I did pay for this game in fact you can check out my games I have just through steam alone by going here

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kayden/games

This doesn't include the 2 400+ cd holders that are almost full with cd and dvd games I have bought over the past 15 years.

Anyways what this tells me is that there is a problem with the exe for the steam version and it needs to be fixed for initial start up of the game so it will configure correctly.
  • edited May 2010
    Kayden3 wrote: »
    Well I got the game to run and I shouldn't have had to do it this way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I HAD TO DO was get cracked exe then it ran just fine! So I setup my video settings and then went back out of the game and put the original exe back in place and guess what

The game runs fine with 2 screens once you started it with only one first.
    This was explained in this thread even before your last post.
    WRITING WITH BIG LETTERS DOES NOT HELP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IGNORED
  • edited May 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    The game runs fine with 2 screens once you started it with only one first.
    This was explained in this thread even before your last post.

Well you obviously didn't read what I posted before because hmm you ignored it. I will not disable my 2nd mon because programmers and qa are lazy!! Which obviously you are as well. Also every one else was ignored so if caps gets there attention might as well try it.
  • edited May 2010
    I've got a dual monitor setup too, and Sam & Max 301 ran fine for me, without having to disable my second monitor.
    I bought the game directly from Telltale though.
  • edited May 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    I've got a dual monitor setup too, and Sam & Max 301 ran fine for me, without having to disable my second monitor.
    I bought the game directly from Telltale though.

Yeah see that's the point Telltale did something (either maliciously or inadvertently I don't know) that hosed the steam ver for people with dual monitors. This should be an easy fix but they haven't fixed it yet.
  • edited May 2010
    Kayden3 wrote: »
    Yeah see that's the point Telltale did something (either maliciously or inadvertently I don't know) that hosed the steam ver for people with dual monitors. This should be an easy fix but they haven't fixed it yet.
    Nowwaitaminute, Telltale wouldn't do something that nefarious - what they really did was hosing EVERY PC version for people with dual monitors... :D

np: David Bowie - The Prettiest Star (The Best Of David Bowie 1969-1974)
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, that's crazy talk. It just happened to me with a telltale version and dual screens. Just seems like a crappy bug they can't be bothered to fix.
This discussion has been closed.