Disabling interference

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Not sure if it's on purpose, or a problem with my display, but when playing sam and max the screen looks a lot like I've set my displays refresh rate to something it doesn't support (results in pixelated images constantly changing slightly giving me a headache)
I've already checked my display during play but it's running at normal settings

Turning down the graphics level to 1 also didn't make a difference

So, is this interference for everyone and on purpose? Or is it a driver problem ?
And is there a way to fix this ?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    It's on purpose, to make it look like a crappy schlock movie from the previous several decades.
  • edited April 2010
    It didn't really bother me first and I just forgot about it, so I think your problem may still be kind of unusual if it bothers you. Can you post a screenie or something?
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I'm not sure what he's describing is the film grain effect that seems to be bothering some people.
  • edited April 2010
    I think the grain filter is a bit harsh. Normally film grain filters are "softer", but this seems to almost look like the film that they're trying to emulate is dirty and being played on bad equipment. maybe that's the point, though. :D
  • edited April 2010
    I figured it was emulating a television transmission, since it gives off that Twilight Zone vibe with the narrator. That works fine for me IMO, but I'm thinking that if you get a lower framerate in the game, the grain may appear more grating.
  • edited April 2010
    I think the grain filter is a bit harsh. Normally film grain filters are "softer", but this seems to almost look like the film that they're trying to emulate is dirty and being played on bad equipment. maybe that's the point, though. :D

The film-grain in Stubbs The Zombie was worse. But in that game you could disable it in the options.
  • I reckon the filter is nice but in some areas it looks like it doesn't belong or it's too much.
  • edited April 2010
    The noise filter was nearly unnoticeable at a resolution of 1920x1200. I can imagine that it would look less appealing at lower/default resolutions though. I think it adds a bit of feel, removing the cleanness of digital if you like.
  • edited April 2010
    I immediately disabled similar effects in Mass Effects and stuff, but since the option lacked here...

I wonder if I would have done just that if possible. But it's too late to wonder about that now.
  • edited April 2010
    I'd be curious to see some screenshots as well. I played it at 1680x1050 (monitor's native resolution) at highest quality and while a grain effect was detectable at times, I didn't find it to be over-the-top or distracting in any way. I hardly noticed it, and I was looking for it since I saw some complaints about it before I got home from work and got a chance to play it myself. I wonder if the effect varies from video card to video card or something.
  • edited April 2010
    As you can't disable it, i kind of solved the problem by using a high resolution and moving the sofa away from the screen, until it wasn't noticeable this much anymore.
  • edited April 2010
    Everyone keeps talking about a grain filter. I haven't seen any of it. Am I blind?
  • edited April 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    Everyone keeps talking about a grain filter. I haven't seen any of it. Am I blind?

Unblind. You can see everything better, and can probably hold up a staring contest against the Sun.
  • edited April 2010
    Here are some screen captures at 1920x1200, it looks worse as still images than when you're actually playing (fps between 30-60)
    Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01a.jpg
    Clipboard01b.jpg

Here's a 30 sec. movie at 1920x1200 (95MB). Because of video capture the fps was around 20.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=109b225423b1370eab1eab3e9fa335cab6aa0d14a17f6493
Sign in to comment in this discussion.