Sam and max: the penal zone screen problem

when I play the penal zone my screen is messed up and won't display as it should, I'll show you.

I'm playing the steam version by the way

kWisf.jpg
ijYws.jpg
JUtIT.jpg

these images weren't cropped in any way, these were taken in fraps and were directly uploaded after taking them.

sorry about the sizes, I don't know how to re-size

Comments

• edited April 2010
    ??? That's weird...

I have never seen this before. Probably because I have the PS3 version
  • edited April 2010
    My experience with the Telltale-version of The Penal Zone: When I launch The Penal Zone through Steam I get the same strange images as above, but when I run The Penal Zone outside Steam i looks completely normal.

So perhaps it is the Steam Overlay that causes problems?
  • edited April 2010
    Enlighten me, what's the problem... I see no issues on those screenshots? :confused:
  • edited April 2010
    Here is a couple of screenshots from my laptop showing the proper menues:
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.

And also a screenshot of the graphics menu when the game is launched through Steam.
    Attachment not found.

Since the resolution is widescreen (16:10), less of the screen is apparently cut off in comparison with enlargedhousecats' and my desktop computer's 4:3-resolution.
  • edited April 2010
    This is pissing me off.
  • edited April 2010
    Wootman wrote: »
    This is pissing me off.

I'm going to assume that you mean the glitch and not the thread.:rolleyes:
  • edited April 2010
    I'm going to assume that you mean the glitch and not the thread.:rolleyes:

The glitch.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    A couple of questions for you all:
    1) is this in fullscreen or windowed mode
    2) does the problem change at all if you go in and out of windowed mode
    3) What resolution are you playing the game in and what is the native resolution of your monitor
    4) are you graphics drivers and directx fully up to date?
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    A couple of questions for you all:
    1) is this in fullscreen or windowed mode
    2) does the problem change at all if you go in and out of windowed mode
    3) What resolution are you playing the game in and what is the native resolution of your monitor
    4) are you graphics drivers and directx fully up to date?

for me, you can just look at the pictures for question #1 and 3. it's the same if it's windowed or not(as long as it's not in wide screen) I'm using an nvidia gts 250 (2 of them :)) with 196.21 drivers and latest directx version

I've noticed that this only happens on the first menu and then goes back to normal in game, it will randomly crop out the sides and zoom in at times but restarting the game fixes that for a little while.
  • edited April 2010
    I can not play the game! I get a box in the middle of the screen stating that I should be running at 1920 x 1080 resolution--that IS what I am running. I get very rumbly sound that can not be understood. I have an HP computer running Windows 7. HELP!
    edited April 2010
    Sj, I think you have a different issue. When you see that message, could you try hitting alt+enter to take the game out of full screen? That will then let you get into the game and adjust the resolution and such.
  • edited April 2010
    When I take the game out of full-screen, the game box is only about 4 x 6 inches. When I go back to full-screen, there is a box in the center of the screen that says: Not optimun Mode. Recommended Mode: 1920 x 1080 60Hertz with a small box below that with a ? mark in the center. I can not get rid of this box. The sound is VERY muffled.
    edited April 2010
    When you leave fullscreen, you should be able to go into the graphics setting menu. From there you can change the resolution to something that isn't 4x6 inches.
    edited April 2010
    Good news guys! Steam has tracked down and put in a fix for this issue. The next time they push an update for Steam itself, the fix will go live. They said it would probably sometime next week that it goes out.

In the meantime, you should be able to fix this by right clicking on the game in your steam list and disabling the in-game community support. Thanks!
  • edited April 2010
    I was able to change resolutions, but I still can not get the sound to work--just some muddle noises
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, in that case could you try updating your DirectX and your sound drivers?
This discussion has been closed.