I'm liking the... dirtiness

I want to applaud Telltale for finally managing to make the environments look like the comics. The amount of dirt and stuff in the street is a real improvement in comparison to season 2 and makes it feel more like Steve Purcell drew it.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Definitely. Kind of wish Telltale had gone with this art direction in the first place!
  • edited April 2010
    They probably didn't have the texture resources to do that until after Monkey Island, or at the very earliest Wallace & Gromit. You know, since that's when they tweeked their texture engine so the character models would look like they were made out of clay in W&G...
  • edited April 2010
    the world does seem more alive this time around... rats, roaches, and birds all over... graffiti, and grime.... heck even the in game newspaper talks about it.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm liking the... dirtiness
    Go wash your mouth! ;)

Guess that's what happens if you play too much with The Penal Zone...
  • edited April 2010
    I've been playing the game on max graphic settings and yes... I got to say, it looks just great :) Nice little details all over the place (especially all those strange, transparent, items floating all over the place whenever Max uses his psychic powers).
  • edited April 2010
    I *love* the new engine. I thought TOMI and W&G looked great, but this blows 'em out of the water. My only problem is with the eyebrow movement. It's used a bit too often. But that's a minor niggle.

Also, Holy cholera-having Oregon-goers fording the river and failing miserably!
    That first teleportation sequence with skeleton Max was amazing! It was actually kinda creepy.
  • MRNMRN
    edited April 2010
    ^^ It was! So awesome!

Plus, lol at
    bessy the cow
    appearing in max's phsychic powers
  • edited April 2010
    The griminess is great. Also props to those certain German interns for bringing it all to life with the vermin scuttling around everywhere.
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Also, Holy cholera-having Oregon-goers fording the river and failing miserably!
    That first teleportation sequence with skeleton Max was amazing! It was actually kinda creepy.

Haha, yes! I laughed way too much at that.
  • edited April 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »

You mean like this?

(Linking so as not to spoil - throughout my playing of the Devil's Playhouse I'm compiling a screenshot library, and I currently have over 8 screenshots :eek: )
  • edited April 2010
    You mean like this?

Cheers! I was going to go back and grab a screenie for my desktop, so this saves me some time. :D
  • edited April 2010
    I'm going to have night terrors from that sequence...
  • edited April 2010
    You mean like this?

Why isn't it on fire? Is that because you had low graphics setting (reading the other thread)?
  • edited April 2010
    i think the fire was at a different bit...?
  • edited April 2010
    You mean like this?
    There's a curious thing about that shot that has been bothering me since I first saw it. Did you notice it too?
    The skeletal Max has six upper teeth, but Max is only supposed to have five, even in the rest of the games. See this shot for example, and note Max having a middle tooth below his nose, while the skeleton clearly does not.
  • edited April 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    There's a curious thing about that shot that has been bothering me since I first saw it. Did you notice it too?
    The skeletal Max has six upper teeth, but Max is only supposed to have five, even in the rest of the games. See this shot for example, and note Max having a middle tooth below his nose, while the skeleton clearly does not.
    It's not
    Max's actual skeleton. It's Max's projection of himself as the creepiest looking rabbity thing skeleton he can be, because Max is a twisted little bunny. Besides, it's in Max's brain, and I heavily doubt he has any idea what his skeleton looks like. Also, this looks cool, shut up
  • edited April 2010
    Hey I never said it wasn't cool, so relax.
  • edited April 2010
    He is relaxed! WE ALL ARE RELAXED! Grr..

Besides that, isn't teeth a part of the skeleton anyway? I mean like... Max's teeth are clean, flat and smooth but in the skeleton version, they're not. It's done NOT TO be accurate.
  • edited April 2010
    possible explanation for that being in it
    they made the Max skeleton for the end of the episode and they thought it would be funny for max to freak sam out in that first teleport scene and the designers said oh hey lets use the Maxeleton we made....that would also explain the aged decayed look of the teeth my guess is those skeletons are from some space/time travel anomaly and are very old....
  • edited April 2010
    Does anyone have a shot of
    the Max skeleton at the end? I'm wondering if it also has six top teeth.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone have a shot of
    the Max skeleton at the end? I'm wondering if it also has six top teeth.

It does.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm actually thinking of the part when
    Max was laughing at Skunkape's downfall. Just before the moment of entering the Penal Zone, Skunkape takes a last look at Max and it kinda scares him because when Max laughs, his ears are in a rather demonic shape and a flame in the background make it look like Max's head is flaming. Something IS being hinted.

Okay so... Max is the president, ruler of the ocean chimps and I guess he's the demonic destroyer of the entire universe. Maybe it shouldn't surprise me at all.
  • edited April 2010
    I like the TOMI references in the game. like at one point max is holding the crab claw crowbar from "The Siege of Spinner Cay" and when you are in future vision in the tunnel, you can see the ferry mans boat float by with a cow in it.
  • edited April 2010
    That's not so much "reference" as just re-using old assets though.

No point making a new crowbar when the old one works great.
  • edited April 2010
    I noticed that too. I guess it's like Rather Dashing said.
    And maybe the other skeleton isn't really Max?
  • edited April 2010
    That's not so much "reference" as just re-using old assets though.

No point making a new crowbar when the old one works great.

Yeah TTG re-uses things from previous games A LOT it really annoyed me at first my reasoning was I already saw that I want to see new things.... but I have since "learned to love the bomb."
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah TTG re-uses things from previous games A LOT it really annoyed me at first my reasoning was I already saw that I want to see new things.... but I have since "learned to love the bomb."
    Reusing assets would also make it much easier for Telltale to sneak Treasure Crab into Sam & Max...
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah that is where loving the bomb comes into play ;)
  • edited April 2010
    Don't recall seeing him though :(.

Although there were a billion cows... Bit overused.
  • edited April 2010
    And chickens. Don't forget about Monty Muzzle's chickens...
  • edited April 2010
    All I am saying with all the crazy things max is imagining in the whole Max-o-vision mode... if there happens to be a money pile in the game and they do not have max imagining a crab dancing on the money I will be really disappointed with TTG
  • edited April 2010
    In case anyone wants that flaming picture....
    2gt67mu.png
  • edited April 2010
    They may also mean this flaming Max though (sorry about the muchos blackos, was a little too late with my print screen :()...
    burnmaxburn.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    I loved the dirtiness, it seemed so right. The facial expressions are brilliant too. Everything about it, visually, was fantastic. Gameplay-wise maybe a little easy but I don't mind, great game.
  • edited April 2010
    although Max's eyebrow jutting out... it sort of ruins his innocent look
  • edited April 2010
    *Applause*
    It is what we said back in season 1.
    More dirt and more useless stuff happening in the background (aka. detail)

Now its there, even better than in Tales of Monkey Island.
    Season 3 feels like it could become a worthy Sam and Max Hit the Road again :D

Grats so far
    Keep it up :D
    And Thanks

Ps.
    I'm excited to see how TTG performs on the content reuse issue :D
Sign in to comment in this discussion.