Some friendly tips for PC gamepad controls

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
(This is not a "direct control sucks!" thread. If you're going to say "direct control sucks!", do it somewhere else.)
Let me start out by saying I really like the gamepad control scheme for The Penal Zone, and will probably use the gamepad for the whole season. With that out of the way, here are a few things that may help you improve it further:
  • When I bring up
    Teleportation
    , I'm suddenly forced to use the mouse to
    select a location
    . Please allow cycling through them as with hotspots.
  • For some reason hotspot highlighting is currently getting mapped to moving my right analog stick. That's just weird.
  • The picture showing which control gets mapped where is really nifty, but depends on having the right type of gamepad. If you could add button numbers to it that would make it more generic and useful.
  • For that matter, while the default setting is really good, an option to change the bindings would still be appreciated.
Well, that's about it. Again, I really do like the gamepad controls a lot.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Yeah, when using Max's powers, if it can be accessed with the mouse, it should be accessable with the control pad too. When I'm on the roof at Boscotech, I can't use future vision on Sam because Max won't look far enough to the right. But if I use the mouse, I can click it...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Right stick selects psychic power targets (and phone dialing) in max mode!

I will add numbers to the mapping screen in the future. I tried it with a 360 pad and a few others with slightly different layouts and the mappings lined up, but putting numbers on them should make it more clear even on more odd controllers. Didn't run into the right stick selection stuff you were seeing. What gamepad are you using?
  • edited April 2010
    I'm using a cheapo-brand chinese gamepad I got off eBay, which I later discovered looks very much like a PS3 gamepad. The mapping is close, but not exact. I'm also getting pause/menu mapped to one of the right shoulder buttons while the two buttons in between the sticks stay unused.
    Pak-Man wrote: »
    When I'm on the roof at Boscotech, I can't use future vision on Sam because Max won't look far enough to the right. But if I use the mouse, I can click it...
    I also had this issue! I had no idea it worked fine with the mouse.
  • edited April 2010
    Harald B wrote: »
    I also had this issue! I had no idea it worked fine with the mouse.
    Oh, it works with the mouse?! I am currently having this issue. I should go back up there and future vision with a mouse, I guess!
  • edited April 2010
    I have the same with WASD and mouse. It only happens with Sam on the pole though it seems, since you can't rotate there.

Same with the newspapers at the street with Skun-Ka'pe's ship, you can't turn right enough to click them, you have to do so way back from at your office...
  • edited April 2010
    Is there anything I need to do to enable the controller? My controller works in Control Panel, but doesn't appear to do anything in the game.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm using a Saitek P2900 and I have the same issue with the right analog stick being assigned to reveal hotspots. For me, it only does it when I hold the stick up.
  • edited April 2010
    my Logitech Rumblepad 2 worked really well with everything.....
    on mine the 5 and 6 buttons (L1 and L2) cycled through most everything well.

Like Jake said the right stick worked perfectly fine in Max-o-vision.
  • edited April 2010
    I just noticed a slight glitch with the interface. After activating
    the rift generator
    in the finale, the back button is indicated as "X" instead of "2" on the notebook and the psychic powers. edit:I just noticed the X is part of the interface that comes up when you use the mouse. So the only glitchy thing is that it's not changing back, when it is in the rest of the game. Hm...
  • OMAOMA
    edited April 2010
    For some reason, my Logitech Wingman Cordless Rumblepad doesn't work at all with TTG games under Windows 7 x64 (so I have to use XPadder to make the gamepad mimic mouse and keyboard), but it does work in Windows XP. Why is that?
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Right stick selects psychic power targets (and phone dialing) in max mode!

I will add numbers to the mapping screen in the future. I tried it with a 360 pad and a few others with slightly different layouts and the mappings lined up, but putting numbers on them should make it more clear even on more odd controllers. Didn't run into the right stick selection stuff you were seeing. What gamepad are you using?

Just to confirm, it works absolutely fine with a 360 controller, no mouse or keyboard needed. Sometimes Sam wouldn't move in the direction I was pressing but it wasn't a problem really.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    my Logitech Rumblepad 2 worked really well with everything.....
    on mine the 5 and 6 buttons (L1 and L2) cycled through most everything well.

Like Jake said the right stick worked perfectly fine in Max-o-vision.

Wierd, with my Cordless Rumblepad 2 I can't cycle through the teleportation targets - tried every button on it, with and without MODE set...
    I'm running the game on Windows 7 64bit.
  • edited April 2010
    I am running on Windows 64bit as well... but my rumblepad 2 is corded
  • edited April 2010
    direct control sucks!
  • edited April 2010
    Dear Telltale,
    For both the gamepad control and the click-and-drag control, you should make use of the analog format to control running/walking speed. Having a "run" button is a bit silly when you're using an analog input that can easily control both direction and severity of movement. Please check out Super Mario 64 for an excellent example.
    Thanks,
    LuigiHann
  • edited April 2010
    Liked the gamepad controls , would be nice in the future if they could detect xinput controllers (360 and compatible gamepads) and show hints and button layout as they would in their 360 version of games( e.g Blue "X",Yellow "Y",Start, Back ) as newer windows games do.
  • edited April 2010
    nissen wrote: »
    Liked the gamepad controls , would be nice in the future if they could detect xinput controllers (360 and compatible gamepads) and show hints and button layout as they would in their 360 version of games( e.g Blue "X",Yellow "Y",Start, Back ) as newer windows games do.
    I see those in The Devil's Playhouse when I play with a wired 360 controller.
  • edited April 2010
    I see those in The Devil's Playhouse when I play with a wired 360 controller.

ahh cool , must be something wrong with my setup then :P. ( button shows up as 1,2,3,4,5,7 etc on my wireless 360 controller )
  • edited April 2010
    nissen wrote: »
    ahh cool , must be something wrong with my setup then :P. ( button shows up as 1,2,3,4,5,7 etc on my wireless 360 controller )
    Are you using the Microsoft USB adapter for the PC, or a For Windows controller? Because I've used the USB adapter, and the thing provides an experience that is...shoddy, at best.
  • edited April 2010
    Are you using the Microsoft USB adapter for the PC, or a For Windows controller? Because I've used the USB adapter, and the thing provides an experience that is...shoddy, at best.

Using the 360 usb adapter from Ms ( http://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/Hardware/Controllers/Pages/XboxWirelessGamingReceiverforWindows.aspx/ )

Never had a issue with it in games. ( well except that the fuse blows almost before you open the package , but that is fixable :P )
  • edited July 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    direct control sucks!
    omg ... -_-
Sign in to comment in this discussion.