Sam, Max and Windows 7 64Bit

edited September 2010 in Game Support
I am having a problem with Sam and Max 301. I am running Windows 7 64bit. The game will start and then not 5 min into it the screen goes black, the sound slows way down, and the computer becomes unresponsive.

I saw a similar problem with Elder Scrolls Oblivion which was solved by turning on immediate mode on my Realtek sound driver. Immediate mode is still on.

I am running Windows 7 64bit on a Toshiba Qosmio x305-Q701 laptop.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this issue?

Previous Seasons of Sam and Max run fine.

Comments

• Well, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on an Acer 5732Z and I haven't had this problem so I'm not so sure it's definitely a Windows 7 problem. Might be more specific to your hardware or a piece of software you have that I don't.
  • edited April 2010
    It could be a piece of hardware. However, when I had the similar problem with Oblivion, it ran fine under 32bit Windows 7. Unfortunately I no longer have 32bit Windows installed to test. However, I am suspecting a 64 bit compatibility issue.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Here is a hardware rundown from dxdiag.
    NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS Driver Version 8.17.0011.9562
    Realtek High Definition Audio Driver Version 6.00.0001.5904
  • edited April 2010
    I have Win7 Pro 64-bit and am experiencing no issues. Core 2 Duo at 2.9 GHz, NVIDIA 8800 GTS driver 196.21 (newest is 197.45, so I think I'm one version behind).

-HM
  • edited April 2010
    64 bit Winders 7 here too, no problems
  • edited April 2010
    64-bit Windows 7 Pro here too. 2.53 Core 2 Duo, 9600M GT. I'd say it's a problem related to your setup - something you're running, or an issue with the hardware. It's a rather odd problem though.
    Try turning all the settings right down (minimum res, graphics quality down) and seeing if that solves anything. If it runs ok, then try turning them back up - could be an issue with your gpu maybe?
  • edited April 2010
    Have you tried messing with the compatibility mode settings for the program? (I remember those working on Vista, not sure on 7)
  • edited April 2010
    The game, aside from being slow, works fine on Win7 64. Though, I did have it lock-up when I viewed the inventory awhile ago.
  • edited April 2010
    The Nvidia website identified my driver as follows, I am trying an updated driver.

NVIDIA GeForce 9700M GTS 195.62
  • edited April 2010
    I updated my video driver and turned down the graphics quality from 9 to 6. I guess I was asking my video card to do too much. What are the differences at the different quality levels?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Hal15900 wrote: »
    I updated my video driver and turned down the graphics quality from 9 to 6. I guess I was asking my video card to do too much. What are the differences at the different quality levels?

It is also possible that your laptop overheated after a few minutes, which now doesn't happen with lower settings because the load is less.

You can also install the latest Realtek HDA Driver.
  • edited September 2010
    Hi!

I have gone through the same problem (on multiple games including SC2, MW2, ArmaII, etc) and i believe i am familiar with it.

Qosmio crashing during games (even freecell) with a black screen and loopy sound from the speakers. Solved only with a hard reset. Problem does not happen if you are running off the battery.

I believe i might have a solution. I have seen the problem crop up across the board on all Qosmio laptops (including my own X300) and i eventually did quite a lot of research and found out a solution.

The problem really pertains to fixing the clock frequencies between the GPU and the CPU and that caused all the problems. They apparently loose sync with each other at variable speeds due to a bug in the power management.

The detailed explanation and solution are on http://www.fixmyqosmio.com and you can check out the writeup there.

It worked for me and it has worked for over 100 other people who have liked it and used it. !!Warning!! it is a COMMERCIAL solution (although it has a 100% refund guarantee) so dont go to the site unless you want to.

I am not soliciting for business. just letting you know that there IS a way to solve the problem and Toshiba are either not concerned or unable to solve the problem. Please dont make the mistake that i made (taking my out of warranty laptop to toshiba) and paying for servicing it.

The service center cant help as it just DOES NOT KNOW how to solve the problem. They service it and hope for the best.

Hope that was some help

LordNOD
This discussion has been closed.