Game crashes in Mac

edited April 2010 in Game Support
I installed the Sam&Max in my MacBook Pro. I plaied the "prologue" and, after I finish this part and the opening scene starts (after the final Narrator speach), the game crashes.

I tried to play twice, and both times the game closed without reason. My system is the Mac OS X 10.5.8

Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Lucio Luiz wrote: »
    I installed the Sam&Max in my MacBook Pro. I plaied the "prologue" and, after I finish this part and the opening scene starts (after the final Narrator speach), the game crashes.

I tried to play twice, and both times the game closed without reason. My system is the Mac OS X 10.5.8

Thanks.

I had the same problem on my macbook 10.6.2, but on the iMac it worked perfectly so...
  • edited April 2010
    let me guess, Right on a shot of Sams face and max's furry little behind?
  • edited April 2010
    Yep, game is crashing for me, on that exact frame... and I upgraded from 10.4 SPECIFICALLY to play this. Ugh!

Edit: MacBook Pro, running 10.6.
  • edited April 2010
    Same here, my macbook pro is running Mac OS X 10.5.8.

I played through the demo first to really make sure that it would run on my mac, it worked great.

Purchased the full version, played through the prologue again, then it crashed.

Played through the prologue a third time, saved before the bazooka shot, but it crashed in the same exact point again.

Loaded that save point, altered the graphics quality, it crashed again.
  • edited April 2010
    I unmarked the "full screen" option and the game worked well. It has a lot of strange lags that only finishes when I restart the computer, but, at last, it's working :)
  • edited April 2010
    Tried unmarking full screen, still crashed at the exact same spot. Gonna try re-installing, see if that helps.
  • edited April 2010
    athom wrote: »
    Tried unmarking full screen, still crashed at the exact same spot. Gonna try re-installing, see if that helps.
    You have to unmark "full screen", close the game, turn off the Mac, and, only after all this, restart the game.

At least, I did this way and worked.
  • This thread probably belongs in the Support Forum.

To Will or anyone else on the TTG staff: is there's going to be an update or patch of some sort to improve the the gameplay for us Mac users? I'm interested in buying S&M 3, but I can't tell if it's ever going to run properly or not. Could you please update us fans?
  • edited April 2010
    I went to windowed mode and it worked perfectly after that. Thanks.
  • edited April 2010
    You have to unmark "full screen", close the game, turn off the Mac, and, only after all this, restart the game.

Typically when the game is in this state, either switching resolutions OR switching between Fullscreen<->Windowed (and back) is enough. Closing the game is not necessary.
  • edited April 2010
    Yes I am really disappointed by the Mac port of Sam and Max. Hopefully they can patch these issues.
  • edited April 2010
    it's funny because, tales of monkey island ran almost flawlessly, the sam and max app is suprisingly unstable, i just beat the game, and was able to play from beginning to end. BUT LOST MY GAME SEVERAL TIMES WHEN IT CRASHED!! seriously if i didn't save my game so often i doubt i would've been able to beat it, there was one period of time where at almost every scene change, it would freeze, and i waited like 15 minutes. the new graphics really do look great, although i can't find a graphics setting that looks great but doesn't slow down at some point, but i can't help getting frustrated at the sheer number of force quits and unexpected error i had to do or deal with. that said, don't stop pushing the envelope! it looks fantastic and i know you'll work out the bugs, please don't forget about us mac users tho! we do need an update!
  • edited April 2010

Wow. I recommend installing a Windows partition via BootCamp if possible. I have a MacBook Pro (2009 model) and there are no issues with the game on that. However, for those that refuse to have a partition dedicated to Windows gaming -- sorry to hear about the issues. I'm sure TTG is working on a resolution as it seems to be affecting a lot of MacBook Pro users.

Personally, I have been enamored with the PS3 version for the sheer comfort and convenience of it all.
  • sascha23 wrote: »
    I'm sure TTG is working on a resolution as it seems to be affecting a lot of MacBook Pro users.

I wish I could agree with you, but TTG has been VERY quiet about it. Will asked for our specs on the Support Forum some days ago, but hasn't said a word about it since. It's a little concerning for us Mac users.
  • edited April 2010
    Has this been resolved yet or is there a safe workaround how to play the game on OSX? I was about recommending the game to a die hard Mac user, but only if it also works.
  • No, there's no word yet, which is driving me up the wall. The Penal Zone has been practically unplayable for us since its release a week ago and we don't even know if there's someone at least working on a solution. I think we've been pushed to the bottom of the list of things to do. Maybe we'll get to play Episode Two...
  • edited April 2010
    Same here, crashes right after the narrator's speech and the car drive when you see Max's behind, like Remolay wrote. Switching to windowed mode doesn't help, neither does switching to a different resolution.
  • edited April 2010
    Found another thread with a workaround:
    http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=289804&postcount=12

Just change the graphics quality to setting 5. Works for me, doesn't crash anymore, yay :)
  • Unfortunately, this didn't work for me.
  • edited April 2010
    This didn't work for me either.

I have a theory that I wanted to throw out there. The point that this game crashes is when the first text credit is about to be displayed. Since this is not pre-rendered animation, could this be something as silly as a font problem? Whatever font they're calling for to display the credits exists on the Telltale machines, but not on our machines in the field.
  • edited April 2010
    Dunno if TTG fixed something but it works fine on a MacBook Pro with an GT330M. The only problem is the fillrate and that the AA looked a bit awful compared to the PC, but maybe this was due to the resolution.

Anyway it runs pretty well at 1024x768 with full settings but as soon as you increase the resolution, the framerate drops. It's not enjoyful and playable at the native resolution anymore whilst the GT330M isn't a screamer but also not the slowest notebook gfx card.

It feels a little bit strange but nice that Sam&Max, beside of ScummVM&Hit the Road, now also runs on a Mac. :O)
  • BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited April 2010
    I have a theory that I wanted to throw out there. The point that this game crashes is when the first text credit is about to be displayed
    This is actually a really good observation. All the font data is packed with the game, so it can't be missing any fonts. It could be a problem related to text rendering though. I haven't found anything yet, but I am looking into it.

Anyway, thanks jholstei for the tip, and everyone else who is posting crash dumps. Those are useful too.
  • edited April 2010
    Ever thought about adding a bug report tool?
This discussion has been closed.