Penal Zone - Favourite Culture references

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
Allo!

I loved this ep, I got so taken with it all that I don't remember many.

Apart from the obvious Twilight Zone references.

Rosemary's Baby reference

Flash Gordon Reference - Skunk'ape "Gordon's Alive!?!"

Love it :) Any other favourites?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I loved the Narnia reference. And the Scarface reference was funny, if not a bit obvious.
  • edited April 2010
    The Steve Jobs reference.
  • edited April 2010
    i think there was a halo reference. the part in the begining where harry is repeating his name, number and so on, it is just like captain kean from halo, when possesed by the swarm.
    Another one may be a reference with the group called "Toybox", but i'm not sure about it.
  • edited April 2010
    oh, and maybe a ghostbusters reference ?
  • edited April 2010
    I'll name the most obvious and for me coolest since it has so much to do with Max:
    Pandora's Box - "The Devil's Toybox"

It has just sooo much to do with Max going crazy and "Destroying the Universe" with ungodly powers(which can be read in the mysterious tunnel).
  • edited April 2010
    maitap4o wrote: »

Yes, that reference was great. I really enjoyed it either because of it being a reference to one of my most favorite movies, or seeing Max showing some short-lasting but really dirty dance moves.
  • edited April 2010
    Ganon159 wrote: »
    I loved the Narnia reference. And the Scarface reference was funny, if not a bit obvious.

I thought that was clever, if a little obvious. Sam's rejoiner made me really happy, though. So few people remember The Phantom Tollbooth!
  • edited April 2010
    I cracked up at the Miss Cleo reference, and the diamond commercial easter egg. I'm pretty sure only Americans will "get" those though.
  • edited April 2010
    The Steve Jobs reference.

wow, I missed that one. Where is it ?
  • edited April 2010
    Soup wrote: »
    So few people remember The Phantom Tollbooth!
    Really? I was pretty sure everyone read that.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    The Narnia one was my favourite, mostly because of the "thinly disguised religious allegory" dig.

One no one's mentioned yet is Lord of the Rings - taking Grandpa Stinky's personal belongings out of the drawer, Max does a great Gollum, hissing "What does he have in his pocketses?"

I get the feeling my pop cultural education is narrow enough to mean that I'm missing a lot of references. :)
  • edited April 2010
    6kPf4.jpg
  • edited April 2010
    I liked the Matrix reference in Momma's lab. :)
  • edited April 2010
    The "Gordon's Alive?!" reference stands out the most to me :P
  • edited April 2010
    The DeBeers reference, with matching music. Also Narnia's "thinly-disguised religious allegory!""
  • edited April 2010
    Randulf wrote: »
    The DeBeers reference, with matching music
    Definitely... for a throwaway joke like that there was really a lot of effort put into it :)
  • edited April 2010
    maitap4o wrote: »

Where was that? I caught all of the references but I can't believe I missed this one. Ghostbusters references are what I want to see the most of, as this is New York. That and maybe some Space Quest or Maniac Mansion references.
  • edited April 2010
    My favourite reference was the one to the Phantom Tollboth, because I don't think I've ever seen it referenced before.

Max has been addressed as "Harvey" before. In Moai Better Blues when Abe says something like "Step aside, Harvey, you're blocking my tan".
  • edited April 2010
    I love the diamond commercial reference. I forget what company it was, but the whole dramatic music with the shadows was hilarious.
  • edited April 2010
    Where was that? I caught all of the references but I can't believe I missed this one. Ghostbusters references are what I want to see the most of, as this is New York. That and maybe some Space Quest or Maniac Mansion references.

Ghostbusters references were the ones that involve ectoplasm. Kind of a letdown actually...
  • edited April 2010
    The Riff Generator starting up is a Ghostbuster's ref. as well.
  • edited April 2010
    Definitely... for a throwaway joke like that there was really a lot of effort put into it :)
    The music file for that Easter Egg is actually named "diamondsarealagomorphsbestfriend". Heh. :p
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe we should compile a more comprehensive references list, with a clear description of when it happens in the game and exactly what it references. For the people among us who are rather bad at catching them (me >_>)
  • edited April 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    Maybe we should compile a more comprehensive references list, with a clear description of when it happens in the game and exactly what it references. For the people among us who are rather bad at catching them (me >_>)

And me, since I still can't find the Diamond Commercial...
  • edited April 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    And me, since I still can't find the Diamond Commercial...
    Give engagement ring to Max, right in front of BoscoTech Labs.
  • edited April 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    I cracked up at the Miss Cleo reference, and the diamond commercial easter egg. I'm pretty sure only Americans will "get" those though.
    Any chance of explaining what they are for ickle British me?

Was I imagining a Soylent Green reference when the Moleman ran through the streets shouting stuff about mole sweat? I forget what he said precisely.

Gordon's Alive had me cracking up the most of any reference.
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Soup wrote: »
    I thought that was clever, if a little obvious. Sam's rejoiner made me really happy, though. So few people remember The Phantom Tollbooth!

Wait, explain this one to me. Did I miss it?
  • edited April 2010
    nikasaur wrote: »
    Wait, explain this one to me. Did I miss it?
    The Phantom Tollbooth is a children's novel published in 1961, a fantasy story not unlike The Wizard of Oz or Alice in Wonderland. It actually has some really great wordplay, metaphors, and an poignant overall theme. Sam comments about it after you examine the wardrobe, soon after making a jab at the Narnia books.
  • edited April 2010
    Any chance of explaining what they are for ickle British me?

Was I imagining a Soylent Green reference when the Moleman ran through the streets shouting stuff about mole sweat? I forget what he said precisely.

Gordon's Alive had me cracking up the most of any reference.
    The scene when you use the engagement ring on Max is a parody of some commercials for diamond rings that ran in America a few years back.

The Miss Cleo thing: At one point in interacting with the ape guard at the pawn shop (I forget how it's triggered exactly) Max says "Call me now for your free reading!" with a funny accent. This was a catchphrase of Miss Cleo, an ersatz-Jamaican "psychic" who advertised on many American TV channels for a number of years, offering "psychic advice" to telephone callers (for a modest fee, of course). Until she was shut down by the FTC, that is.

And you're right, Harry Moleman running through the streets shouting about mole juice is definitely a Soylent Green reference.
  • edited April 2010
    ATMachine wrote: »
    The scene when you use the engagement ring on Max is a parody of some commercials for diamond rings that ran in America a few years back.
    Even if you don't know it's a reference/parody (like me) it's still extremely funny though...
  • edited April 2010
    I guess that Diamond joke only works on computers that can run shadows, because I initially saw nothing but blank walls. :(
  • edited April 2010
    Flash Gordon Reference - Skunk'ape "Gordon's Alive!?!"[/spoiler

I did NOT catch that! Haha!

And 'messing with the phantom tollbooth' was hilarious as well.
  • edited April 2010
    Here's the diamond (or one of them at least) commercial.

...And now that song is going to get stuck in my head for a few days. Damn the 90s.
  • edited April 2010
    Was I the only one who thought of plan 9 to outer space at the beginning with its notoriously bad introduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xes0F36eTJA
Sign in to comment in this discussion.