Required PC Components

edited April 2010 in Game Support
I have an old Dell PC from 2005. I've been wanting to play some of the games I have on the PC, too. But since it's pretty old, I'm pretty sure I don't have good enough components to play any games on it. Does anyone know what the best components are if I want to play, at least, Tales of Monkey Island on my PC?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Ehm, what? Components?

You could try looking at the recommended system requirements on the ToMI site (or the S&M season 3 site to be better prepared for the future).
  • edited April 2010
    I'm looking for a 128 MB video card, a 3GHz Processor, and 1 GB of Memory.
  • edited April 2010
    Noaxzl wrote: »

Well, most modern video cards are at least 512MB, but that's good, and the requirements also state the card must be DirectX 8.1 compliance, meaning that the card must support every feature of DirectX 8.1 to run at a good speed with the quality setting on the maximum 9. 2GB of RAM would be better, especially if you're running vista. You don't need an exact 3ghz processor, either, that is for a Pentium 4 CPU. Most people would get a core2duo of 1.6-2ghz or a core 15, or 17 processor.

The one thing that will determine what video card to get is what slots you have in your motherboard. There are 3 types: AGP, PCI and PCI-Express. The latter is the latest one that most people use to play games. AGP is lower performance, but you can still get a good card and play plenty with games with one. I don't know much about PCI, but I know its not good for games. Hope this helps.
  • edited April 2010
    And (at least) a new motherboard, and a new power supply - what is it with people always trying to upgrade their machines to barely meet some minimum requirements?

Trust me - getting a new PC is probably cheaper, and a new one will be much faster than any upgrades you could make to a 5 year old machine, it'll draw less power (which also produces costs in the long run) and it'll last longer for newer games than any upgraded ancient machine could...

np: Dakota Suite - Second Hand Light (Emanuele Errante Remix) (The Night Just Keeps Coming In)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    But since it's pretty old, I'm pretty sure I don't have good enough components to play any games on it.

We can check that if you post a dxdiag log. You might also want to check out the Tales of Monkey Island and Sam & Max S3 Demos.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited April 2010
    Leak wrote: »
    And (at least) a new motherboard, and a new power supply - what is it with people always trying to upgrade their machines to barely meet some minimum requirements?

Trust me - getting a new PC is probably cheaper, and a new one will be much faster than any upgrades you could make to a 5 year old machine, it'll draw less power (which also produces costs in the long run) and it'll last longer for newer games than any upgraded ancient machine could...

np: Dakota Suite - Second Hand Light (Emanuele Errante Remix) (The Night Just Keeps Coming In)

Sorry. I haven't played computer games since the beginning of the last decade. I've mostly been a console gamer, since then. But, there are a few games that make me want to try PC gaming, again. Provided that said games don't come with the draconian DRM that has plagued many PC gamers for quite some time.
This discussion has been closed.