How to impove S&m 3x01 speed!

edited June 2010 in Game Support
I just finished the game and since my PC is not that powerful I sometimes had scenes wher I had to wait for my hard disc and the game nearly stopped. After a short time of gaming the game went slower and slower - it took me a few seconds to get into the menu screen and even more to get back to my desktop after ending the game.

Now I've tried something which for me works better than expected. I have two hard discs and so I

1. defragmented both discs.

2. changed the settings for my swap file to permanent (2x amount of my physical memory) on one disc.

3. installed the game on the other disc.

After that I started the game and the loading times were a lot shorter and the game was much better to play. It only took me 1-2 seconds to get to the menu screen or to my desktop. I don't know if this works for everybody but since it worked so well on my PC I thought I could share it with you.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Up!

I had the same problem, I used your tip and it worked!
    Thanks!
    :cool:
  • edited June 2010
    Not really possible with one disc, but cool nontheless ;)
  • edited June 2010
    What are the reading and writing speed of those two hard drives? If I had to guess, the secondary hard drive has a higher RPM level, which is unsurprising, all things considered. You usually get a second hard drive some time after getting the computer, and hard drive speed standards improve. Even if you bought it at the same time as the computer, it wouldn't be surprising to have a faster second hard drive, as computer makers such as Dell use sub-standard parts to make the computers have a higher profit margin.
  • edited June 2010
    People still buy pre-built computers? O_o
  • edited June 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    People still buy pre-built computers? O_o

Yep, they do. I still do, as I have not learned everything about computers, unfortunately.

EDIT: Oh, and happy birthday.
  • edited June 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    Yep, they do. I still do, as I have not learned everything about computers, unfortunately.
    I see. I don't know that much about hardware either, but still you can easily ask on forums (or google for people who already asked ;)) for people to write specs for you (some people enjoy it), order that from the computer store and, well, if you ask them they'll build the computer for you, so you don't have to mess with that stuff. If it's not free it still shouldn't cost much. For me it cost 8 NIS (~$3) for them to build my comp.
    If the shop builds it according to your specs, then it's not a prebuilt ;)
    Power46 wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh, and happy birthday.
    :D:D:D
  • edited June 2010
    I see. I don't know that much about hardware either, but still you can easily ask on forums (or google for people who already asked ;)) for people to write specs for you (some people enjoy it), order that from the computer store and, well, if you ask them they'll build the computer for you, so you don't have to mess with that stuff. If it's not free it still shouldn't cost much. For me it cost 8 NIS (~$3) for them to build my comp.
    If the shop builds it according to your specs, then it's not a prebuilt ;)

That is true. I personally have never had the money, so my dad buys all of our computers.
  • edited June 2010
    Generally, you can get a better computer for the same money if you build it yourself.
    (again, 'build it yourself' means choosing the parts)
  • edited June 2010
    Generally, you can get a better computer for the same money if you build it yourself.
    (again, 'build it yourself' means choosing the parts)

Yeah, I know; it just takes time, and the last non-laptop computer we got we got for free. It was made around the time that the PCI-E standard became available, and my dad was unhappy that it didn't come with a PCI-E slot.
This discussion has been closed.