Sam & Max text-adventure, engine done: now we need content

Comments

• edited April 2010
    The engine was done in an evening and while the code is a mess, at least it works (in Firefox 3.6: sorry for users of other browsers [...] )
    so, uh, i clicked on the link you first posted and it doesn't show anything. I'm using chrome.

The thing about text adventures is, you have to read all the clues ;)
    Sam wrote:
    I can't use these things together ...
  • edited April 2010
    Can I just suggest maybe making a story that's not anything to do with the current series? This will be probably a whole lot easier, and all round more entertaining. I'd be really up for helping out with this but I can't be bothered to just rehash a load of Telltale's stories and characters! I'm a Javascript programmer and have done a fair bit of story writing in my time so I think this'd be great fun.
  • edited April 2010
    Sure, if you have a good suggestion... and if The Highway agrees. He's contributed as much as have, so it's as much his call as mine.

About the dependency on Firefox. Sorry, I told you it was quick and dirty: Firefox has a number of niceties that go beyond ecma262 and I've used them shamelessly: new Array methods, block scope variables, short function notation :)

I've been spending yesterday evening trying to find a good online editor (something like Mozilla Bespin) that can actually be used by people who don't mainly work with vi... long story short: I couldn't find any that allowed real-time colaboration and didn't cost an arm and a leg.
  • edited April 2010
    Haha, this is gold! Really good job on the engine, that programming is way beyond anything I could ever do. And you've actually managed to personify Sam and Max really well.
    Oh btw, you spelled "habit" wrong in the 3rd dialogue.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks, but it's really just a placeholder. I've uploaded the source to Google Code so that everybody can work with it. Just send me a PM with your Google name if you want access:
    http://code.google.com/p/micro-tawe/
  • edited April 2010
    hey, hans, have you heard of google wave? i can invite you and we can collaborate that way. also, serializer has a good idea, but because we have already begun on this project, i think we could try that as an improved "sequal".

But now we should begin working on the plot for the second scene!
  • edited April 2010
    Heard of: yes. Used it or even remember what it offers: no.

Google name is (surprise): hansschmucker :)

You're probably right... one thing after the other. We've started with this and should try to get through with it without too many changes. I was simply missing the Commissioner :)

OK, so what do we do at the digging site. At the end of the scene we need the phone number of the museum... we can add pretty much any items and character we want to make this a little more difficult. The archeologist is an obvious choice for a character having the phone number.... so what kind of hoops would such a character make Sam and Max jump through? Well, I know few archeologists (one to be precise) but luckily our character is more supposed to be a stereotype than a real person.

So what stereotypes are there about archeologists? Well, I think of a guy with glasses who's pretty much dead to the world while he is engrossed in his work. So, obviously: we have to disrupt his work somehow.

When we have that we'll probably face the problem that he is so full of himself that he won't hand out the phone number to mere mortals...

I'd think there would be two ways to get the number from him:
    1. Convince him that Sam and Max are "true believers"
    or
    2. Make him leave. Archeologists seem like the forgetful type, so he'd probably forget his notebook.
  • edited April 2010
    The link doesn't work.
  • edited April 2010
    SuperBosco wrote: »
    The link doesn't work.

What browser are you using?

Edit: I'm using a Firefox 3.7 build here, so maybe there's really an incompatibility with earlier versions, i.e. 3.5/3.6 . It's just a prototype so I didn't do any testing.
  • edited April 2010
    SuperBosco wrote: »
    The link doesn't work.

It works like a charm with Firefox
  • edited April 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    It works like a charm with Firefox
    Since when do charms work?
  • edited April 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Since when do charms work?

Since 2 minutes ago
  • edited April 2010
    Come on guys... what could be a good puzzle for destroying an archeologist's work that would fit in with the Sam and Max universe? It can pretty much involve any items that may be at the digging site... Something like sabotaging a T-Rex statue so that it falls down, but slightly more plausible
  • edited April 2010
    Here's my outline for the second scene (after they escape fro the cave of the molemen):

- IN THE SUBWAY/SEWER, THERE IS AN INSCRIPTION ON THE WALL
    - IT HAS PALEONTOLOGIST'S (NOT ARCHAEOLOGIST) CELL NUMBER ON IT, BUT IS IN AN ANCIENT LANGUAGE
    - NEED NEW TOY OF POWER TO DISCIPHER IT, SOMETHING LIKE A SPEAK & SAY
    - HOWEVER, TOY IS UNDER WATER
    - WE HAVE STINKY'S CELL, MOLEMAN CLOTHING AND FIND AN OLD DOOR HANDLE IN PILE OF JUNK.
    - WE CAN TURN THE MOLEMAN CLOTHING INTO A MAKESHIFT ROPE, AND ATTACH THE DOOR HANDLE AS A HOOK.
    - USE FISHING ROD WITH RIVER, AND IT WILL CATCH THE SPEAK & SAY TOY BY THE PULL STRING
    - NOW USE SPEAK AND SAY WITH ANCIENT LANGUAGE
    - MAX WILL MEMORIZE PHONE NUMBER. NOW, TELEPORT.
  • edited April 2010
    Love the fishing part, but I'd be careful with the toys. Especially a "read-secret-language" toy is practically an invitation to use it with anything. I'd rather add that puzzle maybe somewhere in the tunnel or at the digging site. Question is: If it's not in order to get a toy, then what is it for?
  • edited April 2010
    i thought we were in the tunnel? also, the majority of the scene is to get a toy, so we can advance to the palaeontologist.
  • edited April 2010
    also, this can be the motivation for having to go against the guy; he wants to steal this thing so he can decipher ancient languages. so, my bad, he should probably be an archaeologist.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, let's try to put this together: we've gotten into the tunnel, inside which is a lot of rubbish, including for some reason a broken door (Apparently a lot of trash has been dumped down there through a hole in the ceiling (maybe we can create a link to that lateron, so that we can see where the hole leads). We walk through the tunnel and get to the digging site where an incredible busy archeologist refuses to even talk to us. We destroy the digging site FIXME somehow, gaining his attention, but he won't talk to us anymore. We'll need to give him a little present. Looking around, we find a pond with something shiny-looking at the bottom. We try to get to it, but the water is too deep. So we go back to the tunnel and get the doorhandle, combining it with the robe (FIXME I still hope we can find something that makes a tad more sense) and using it to fish for the item. The archeologist is happy, babbles something about a breakthrough and gives us the phonenumber of the museum before rushing off.
  • edited April 2010
    Sorry, I was still writing while you posted. Which guy? The one from the museum? I thought he was supposed to meddle with time and space, sending the Sam and Max duplicate back in time lateron.
  • edited April 2010
    wait, hang on, im confused as well. i thought we began in the cave with the mole people where we finished in in the penal zone, and the skeletons we find in this game were those ones of sam & max, and then the tunnel i'm talking about is the subway, which is why we must fish, doors and stuff have fallen through the crack with the mimesweeper cartriges, and we can only get out by teleporting to the archaeologist's cell.
  • edited April 2010
    it's so hard to communicate clearly from other sides of the world when my INTERNET KEEPS DISCONNECTING EVERY 20 SECONDS!
  • edited April 2010
    No, the tunnel is behind the skeletons :) We can't get back through the subway, there's still the river there. This is another tunnel leading to the dig site.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, I just momentarily fell asleep and almost broke my laptop. I'm going to bed. I'll come back tomorrow and try to sort our clashing ideas into one "mesh" of ideas.
  • edited April 2010
    You do that. I'll make a Google Doc for the story so that we have it in one place. Can you give me your Google ID (PM)?
  • edited April 2010
    No, the tunnel is behind the skeletons :) We can't get back through the subway, there's still the river there. This is another tunnel leading to the dig site.

oh. shit. now i get it. ok, night, gonna sort this out tomorrow! i hope

wait, google ID? would that just be my gmail account?
  • edited April 2010
    Right :)

Here's the read-only link until then.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AXAAlxvh5w0aYWZqcXZyamh4d3JyXzk2ZmRzcHQyams&hl=en

Invitation sent. Just write anything into the document if it worked.
  • edited April 2010
    ok, good night for realmeanor as a nexecutable file? or even an iphone app :P how awesome would that be if we did it! well youwhile, is there a way you could get this to work on chrome?
  • edited April 2010
    Definitely as application (XULRunner makes it easy). iPhone app is out of the question though, since that would cause trouble copyright-wise in so many ways. Right now this is a sort of homage to Sam and Max: A parody so to speak. Turn it into a commercial application and things get a lot more difficult. About Chrome: not really a problem... I'll try to fix it. If the outdates JS engine in Chrome is the only problem then it should be a matter of minutes.
  • edited April 2010
    see? Im crazy with madness at this time!

i even asked for an iphone app? im delusional!

alright, im in, and i bookmarked it. see ya!
  • edited April 2010
    Urgh... this is almost as bad as Internet Explorer: Unexpected Token in line 280 ... too bad the friggin document is only 210 LINES LONG!!!!
  • edited April 2010
    OK, it should work in Chrome now.
  • edited April 2010
    awesome!
  • edited April 2010
    ok, wait. did the mole people run away, or are they there? because they are there in my dialogue. also, did we change the "MAX" command into "HELP"? also, i think we should have a way to have the cave's skeletons, etc explained or else people wont know what the hell they're doing.
  • edited April 2010
    There isn't any of your content aside from your intro text in there yet. I spent yesterday evening trying to find an appropriate place to host it instead :) Just ignore it for now... we'll do story first, then dialog, then put it into the prototype, then playtest, then fill the gaps.

Anyway, I'm off to bed now :)
  • edited April 2010
    right, also i think we should find a more blocky font. it would feel more appropriate :)
  • edited April 2010
    Man, I'd like to help...but I seriously haven't played Penal Zone yet...
  • edited April 2010
    oops! steer clear of this thread then, we neglected to use spoiler tags!
  • edited April 2010
    Spoiler tags shouldn't be necessary, I'd expect everyone interested in this to have played the episode already.
    Anyway, I love this idea and simply can't wait to see the finished product. I've tried to think of ideas the last few days but to be perfectly honest I'm not the most creative person.
    If I do think of some good puzzles/story advancements I'd love to pitch in but for now all I've been able to come up with involves Sam shooting stuff and senseless violence.
  • edited April 2010
    I think Sam shooting stuff would actually be appropriate. Anyway, nothing getting done today (probably not tomorrow either) because it's my birthday :)
  • edited April 2010
    Happy Birthday! This works out well, because I planned to stay up tonight finishing the plot! And, yes, we MUST have lots of shooting. What's the point of Sam having a gun if it is useful 2.3 times per season?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.