Do you like the narrator?

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
I've been seeing a lot of loving and a good amount of hating of this guy, so I'm wondering. I like him myself, though he may be a bit too prominent and could do with less reminding about this being a game.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Love him. Breaking the fourth wall was what made the character so good. I think he's going to be contributing to the overall plot in more direct ways soonish.

Don't get why people think he's constantly interrupting. His screentime is barely 5 minutes in a 6 hour game.
  • edited April 2010
    The narrator is great. He's going to be revealed to be pure evil, you'll see.
  • edited April 2010
    I love him.
  • edited April 2010
    I dont like him... I LOVE HIM! I like his comments in his parts
  • edited April 2010
    24/0/3
    Excellent. I'm glad TTF visitors have such good taste.
  • edited April 2010
    I love him. Sure, he breaks the 4th wall and all that, but he's also darn good at carrying the story forward. I just look forward to seeing how the whole story develops over time, and I kinda like the idea of this narrator being there to push it along :D
  • edited April 2010
    The Narrator looks like a cross between Truman Capote and Jack Lord, and sounds like Vincent Price à la Thriller. What's not to love?
  • edited April 2010
    I like him, but I feel that his appearances should be limited to the beginning and end of the game, unless he's going to just narrate. I could do without him walking onscreen in the middle of the action.
  • edited April 2010
    I like the idea of the narrator but I just don't feel he actually is like his inspirations. His interruptions are clumsy, unlike his inspirations, and his role as Mr. Tutorial is just the breaking point. I'm really not sure what the deal is with his "you are in control" spiel. Is Telltale trying to communicate that this is a game, not the B-movies and The Twilight Zone that inspired him? I gathered that I was playing a game, thank you. Are they just outright talking down to the casual iPad crowd, explaining that the most basic concept in gaming is that you control someone else? I think that that would be underestimating them. Even if it turns out he's talking to someone else, these are the vibes I'm getting, and I don't like them. But if he is talking to the player, I also expect them to stop because the tutorials are more or less over. Besides, Telltale more or less always recovers from stumbles thanks to the episodic format. So I'm not concerned, it'll turn out all right.
  • edited April 2010
    The narrator is awesome! He's got that kind of coolness I like, and I quote him whenever I can! :D
  • edited April 2010
    I'm really not sure what the deal is with his "you are in control" spiel. Is Telltale trying to communicate that this is a game, not the B-movies and The Twilight Zone that inspired him?
    I thought it might be a twist on The Outer Limits opening narration:
    There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Instead of "we are in control" the narrator tells us "you are in control".
    SlasherMan wrote: »
    The narrator is awesome! He's got that kind of coolness I like, and I quote him whenever I can! :D

I still grin at the delivery of his first line -- "In all the universe, the only power beyond the mind's comprehension is the power to comprehend the power of the mind."
  • edited April 2010
    While I do like the narrator, I hope he reminds us less of the "Game" status next game...
  • edited April 2010
    Like him alot, imo its one of the better if not best character / voices telltale has done, it really fits quite amazing.

It could be fun if there was actully some interaction between him and Sam & Max somehow.
  • edited April 2010
    I think it's too early to tell whether he'll be an intrusive presence or not. Considering we're only an episode in, the Narrator's expository role is a suitable one. And since I think he's played extremely well with both those considerations and his influences in mind, I can't help but love him. For now, he's a-okay in my book.

Oh, and Lena_P brought up the other thing I dig about him:
    Lena_P wrote: »
    The Narrator looks like a cross between Truman Capote and Jack Lord, and sounds like Vincent Price à la Thriller. What's not to love?

How could you possibly go wrong when a character comes even somewhat close to replicating such a godly voice, all else considered? Not at all, is what. Not. At. All.
  • edited April 2010
    actaully, I agree with Lena, he sounds like VIncent Price in Thriller. Maybe just the delivery
  • edited April 2010
    The Narrator is like the Voodoo Lady I guess, except he's freaking awesome and she's just extremely creepy.
  • edited April 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    I thought it might be a twist on The Outer Limits opening narration:
    Man, finally somebody picked up on that.
  • edited April 2010
    Chuck wrote: »
    Man, finally somebody picked up on that.
    Yay! What do I win?

I suspect some of these awesome references are going over the heads of a lot of your customers -- and instead they complain about them.

Everybody off my lawn, now!
  • edited April 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    The narrator is great. He's going to be revealed to be pure evil, you'll see.

I concur. Especially due to his line "Welcome, friends, to my Playhouse of the bizarre." But I thought it was the Devil's Playhouse? Unless...

DUN DUN DUN!
  • edited April 2010
    While I do like the narrator, I hope he reminds us less of the "Game" status next game...
    Yeah, it was fine in the very first intro, but the later scene where he mentions button mashing seemed to be a needless reminder that it's a game.
  • edited April 2010
    I thought it was fine at first, but he just went on and on about Sam and Max being a game, and how it was better than button bashers.

I don't mind a fourth wall reference here and there, but it was just lame.
  • edited April 2010
    I like him well enough. Although I can already tell Sam and Max are gonna make a comment about him constantly interrupting and are gonna break the fourth wall by speaking directly to him at some point.
  • edited April 2010
    I like him well enough. Although I can already tell Sam and Max are gonna make a comment about him constantly interrupting and are gonna break the fourth wall by speaking directly to him at some point.

I, personally, await this moment somewhat eagerly.
  • edited April 2010
    Max: "Shut the *bleep* up!"
    Sam: "Max, I thought we made an agreement never to bring the *Bleep* Poppers up ever again!"
  • edited April 2010
    i like him. kinda reminds me of the narrator from plan 9 from outer space. BEST MOVIE EVER! i mean WORST MOVIE EVER!
  • edited April 2010
    i like him. kinda reminds me of the narrator from plan 9 from outer space.
    Me too. Funny movie. :)
  • edited April 2010
    His opening narration actually had me thinking of Ed Wood lol... the needlessly flowery wording and all. It made me giggle. That said, his intrusion and the enforced tutorial section kinda irked me. we're three seasons in guys! I think we understand the basic control scheme by now!
    He works well as a framing device though, it's very B movie heh. I appreciate that, much like the rather obscure film references littered throughout episode one mwhahaha.

But I dunno... Something about the narrator bugs me. Maybe i'll come around as the season progresses.
  • edited April 2010
    His voice and character design are really excellent. I love the narrator.
  • edited May 2010
    I find him really creepy and unsettling, of course that's probably supposed to happen. Somehow I feel if there's any evil afoot he's somehow behind it or at least has something to do with it. "What a Twist!" heh.

I liked the random button mashing line and it gave me a good laugh, but I took it more as a way of him insulting your puzzle solving abilities up to that point, or the relative easiness of the puzzles compared to what was about to transpire... Not a reference to any other games....

Also S&M speaking to the Narrator directly at some point would be great! Just cut right in and interrupt him, heh.
  • edited May 2010
    I like him. That's a cool-sounding narrator... Unlike the special editions of some old games out there..... *cough*Monkey Island*cough* Boy is that narrator annoying...
  • edited May 2010
    SubSidal wrote: »
    I like him. That's a cool-sounding narrator... Unlike the special editions of some old games out there..... *cough*Monkey Island*cough* Boy is that narrator annoying...

He only had 3 lines. Meanwhile on monkey island
    THe recipie for monkey island,
    and warning the dogs arent dead, but sleeping.

Why do people complain about if him if he only had 3 stinkin lines.
  • edited May 2010
    exactly. it would have been worse if they were the only lines not spoken.
  • edited May 2010
    Gman5852 wrote: »
    He only had 3 lines. Meanwhile on monkey island
    THe recipie for monkey island,
    and warning the dogs arent dead, but sleeping.

Why do people complain about if him if he only had 3 stinkin lines.

What about "Deep beneath Monkey Island... blah blah... in a river lava"

I don't mind the Meanwhile... but the long part is annoying...

But back on topic... S&M narrator sounds great.. has charisma.
  • edited May 2010
    Max: "Shut the *bleep* up!"
    Sam: "Max, I thought we made an agreement never to bring the *Bleep* Poppers up ever again!"

Were did this come from? I would really like to know why they were talking about the *Bleep* Poppers in the first place.

BTW: *Bleep*ing love the narrator! He's so creepy and so seems like he would be the main baddy for this season!
  • edited May 2010
    Were did this come from?
    From me :p.
  • edited May 2010
    From me :p.

That should so be part of the the game, you know because of what happend to the *Bleep* Poppers.
  • edited May 2010
    I love the narrator. Something about him reminds me of Criswell, the psychic narrator from the beginning of Plan 9 From Outer Space...maybe it's the hair?
  • edited May 2010
    BEST MOVIE EVER! i mean WORST MOVIE EVER!

Nobody said they have to be mutually exclusive.
  • edited May 2010
    There should be a 'not really sure yet' option in the poll...

Cause I'm kinda on the fence about him, to be honest.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.