Odd (and hilarious) Penal Zone graphical glitch

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
I think this speaks for itself...

penalzonesmall.png

Basically, at the point where Sam & Max were in the Penal Zone, Sam at one point flung Max upward, as is usual for when they overlap in an area... And Max 'landed' in midair and stayed there until I switched to Max mode and back (since this seems to place Sam & Max in default positions).

Thought you guys'd get a kick out of it.
(click for full size, I guess)

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Yeah, I think I remember noticing Max ending up floating slightly just by walking around in that place. Not sure if it's intentional or not, given the nature of that area
  • edited April 2010
    He was just... Stuck up there, and didn't move, no matter what I did. So I call glitch on this one. :p
  • edited April 2010
    I always assumed it was intentional. Though even if it wasn't, Telltale would do best to claim it was, since I thought it was one of the funniest moments in the game.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, I thought it was on purpose too. If not ... well, at least the glitch happened in the once place where it would make sense! :D
  • edited April 2010
    I figured it was an issue with the level compilation. Especially considering that Sam throwing Max into the air sped up the whole deal, and the fact that there was no in-game dialogue acknowledging that everyone's favorite hyperkinetic rabbity thingie took an all-expenses-paid vacation to halfway-up.
  • edited April 2010
    Same thing happened in my playthrough
  • edited April 2010
    I wouldn't make sense if it were a glitch, you can see Sam is looking up at him not looking straight ahead.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, Max will also just walk up to that spot on his own if you leave him be. I'm guessing there's a "Max-only" ledge up there or something.
  • edited April 2010
    Meh, we'll get an answer eventually. And I would assume that Sam just autotargets Max wherever he may be.

Either way, I figured it was a glitch since I kept getting game-ending bugs and various other glitchery with the DeSoto earlier, as well as some other general issues.
  • edited April 2010
    Didn't consider it a glitch, but now I'm curious as to whether it is or not. Telltale?
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, thought it was intentional too (and the bug is he drops down if you wait around for a while)...
  • edited April 2010
    I punched him there, too. But he didn't get stuck for me. He just walked down again.
    It didn't occur to me that this could be a glitch at all. That particular room has no floor, so there is no reason why everyone should stand in the same height either, I guess.
  • edited April 2010
    Well actually, I considered the purple part on the bottom the 'floor.' So, eh.
  • edited April 2010
    I don't think it's a glitch, because when you enter Max's head he's standing up there anyway, since if you look about you can tell cause Sam is lower than you.
  • edited April 2010
    Am I the only who got Sam stuck up there right after teleporting to that zone? Seriously, it did happen. I was scared as sh*t because it looked like I'd have to restart from the last save but thankfully Max vision solved the problem.
  • edited April 2010
    I assumed it was deliberate. It's really obvious, so I'm sure it would've been noticed when the game was tested.
    I wouldn't make sense if it were a glitch, you can see Sam is looking up at him not looking straight ahead.
    I assumed that Sam was programmed to make eye contact with Max when he speaks to him, not matter where Max's eyes are.
  • edited April 2010
    I assumed it was obvious, too. :P
  • edited April 2010
    I bet he unlocked the Toy of Levitation and didn't bother to tell Sam, or the fans. Which is a shame because I always wanted to make Max fly...
  • edited April 2010
    Maybe it's like that screw-up in Half-Life 2: Episode One, where there was an animation glitch in one of the scripted scenes, but they left it in because everyone thought it was deliberate, and it added to the scene in a positive way. Or something like that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.