Is this a glitch?

edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
I notice that at the end of The Penal Zone
Max's head doesn't light on fire
like on youtube videos, is this a glitch?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    I think I know why. If you use future vision after activating the rift-generator (I think that's what it's called), when you view the final cutscene, Max's head doesn't light on fire, and the environmental music will play over the cutscene music. It happened to me on my second playthrough, and it also happened in this video.
  • edited April 2010
    You sure about that, because I did that, and Max lit fire?
    Although if you mean you don't have to leave the area afterwards (after the plugging in), then no, that I did not.

Sounds more like something that wont happen on lower graphics settings.
  • edited April 2010
    You sure about that, because I did that, and Max lit fire?
    Although if you mean you don't have to leave the area afterwards (after the plugging in), then no, that I did not.

Sounds more like something that wont happen on lower graphics settings.

Well, its not the graphics settings, I'm playing on max settings (pardon the pun). I just wanted to know the problem, and I'm hoping there's no other graphic spike that has a significant impact on the story, mainly because I think the max lighting on fire thing was a bit of foreshadowing for something, especially the look that Skunkape gave Max when he lit on fire.
  • edited April 2010
    My guess? When you use the future-vision on Skun-ka'pe, it sets a data flag that it isn't supposed to be set yet that has to do with the final cutscene, and as a result, the cutscene is broken. Y'know, since using the future-vision on Skun-ka'pe shows you part of the end cutscene.

Or at least, that's my guess. I've seen weirder stuff happen as a result of data flags being set ahead of time, too late, or just incorrectly in the past.

I dunno if there's a data flag related to that cutscene that would cause that, or if that even makes much sense though. Just speculation. So don't quote me on this. Wait for someone that knows what he's talking about to answer you before you go around preaching this as fact.
  • edited April 2010
    I can't find any youtube videos of what you're talking about nor did it happen when I played through.
  • edited April 2010
    Actually, if you load a saved game at the very end of the game; and then finish it. Max's head won't light on fire.
  • edited April 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Actually, if you load a saved game at the very end of the game; and then finish it. Max's head won't light on fire.

Realy, I tried it and it worked just fine.
  • edited April 2010
    Well on my machine, whenever I reload that spot Max's skull won't burn.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, I just tried some stuff and it indeed seems to appear when using FV on Skun-ka'pe.

Which makes it odd I didn't have it happen my first playthrough, since I definitely used FV on everything and everyone.
  • edited April 2010
    riappi wrote: »
    I can't find any youtube videos of what you're talking about nor did it happen when I played through.

same
  • edited April 2010
    riappi wrote: »

Seems to happen more in the PS3 version. (@ 0:25) Though to be honest I can't figure out a way to trigger it, though it does seem consistent once it happens in a save file. Usually it works fine.
  • edited April 2010
    I didn't have any fire, either, but wasn't aware it was a glitch, because I didn't bother to watch an entire video playthrough of a game I'd just played through. I just through Skunkape was reacting to Max's laughing.

I'm not sure what I did to cause the 'glitch' as at the time I didn't know it was a glitch so I wasn't really keeping track of what I was and wasn't doing. I was too busy enjoying the story. I certainly hope I didn't miss anything else.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.