Unable to Run Sam & Max 301

edited April 2010 in Game Support
Hi all, I recently bought and installed Sam & Max: The Penal Zone via Steam, but I have been having problems with running the game.

Apparently, something about the Plug and Play is conflicting the game from starting (SamMax301.exe shows up in the processes but not in the applications when viewing the Task Manager).

If I disable Plug and Play from booting, the game starts up normally, but there's no sound.

I use Realtek HD on a MSI G31M3 motherboard with Windows XP service pack 3. Can anyone help out?

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Bump for solution. I'd really like to have a go with this game BEFORE my exams with sound.:(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Have you tried updating your sound and graphics drivers and running the DirectX updater?

Also please post a dxdiag log and try a clean boot.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited April 2010
    I did try a clean boot. That's what made me realize that it was the Plug and Play that was conflicting with the game (the game ran fine with Plug and Play and every other service disabled, but without sound). Haven't tried running the DirectX Updater, will do so if I see that reinstalling Sam & Max doesn't solve the problem.

In the mean while, I've got a DX diagnosis attached.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will most likely give an update tomorrow.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Card name: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    Driver Date/Size: 4/29/2009 04:17:04, 335872 bytes

Description: Realtek HD Audio output
    Date and Size: 2/14/2008 11:04:06, 4676096 bytes

The problem is probably your old sound drivers. Try installing the latest Realtek HDA Driver.

There's also a newer Graphics Driver for you.
  • edited April 2010
    Blarg. Sorry for the delay, but I've had stuff to do. Anyways.

I re-downloaded S&M and tried to play it: same as before. So I updated my video and audio cards, but still no change to my predicament.

I've tried to run the DirectX updater, but from the link you've provided neither Mozilla nor Internet Explorer can commence the download (I get the 'Webpage cannot be shown' error in both).

Maybe it's the DirectX? Is it possible to get an alternate link?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Maybe it's the DirectX? Is it possible to get an alternate link?

You can pick one.

I just looked at your dxdiag again and saw the "DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectInput (stage 1)".
    Do you have any non essential USB devices connected that you could disconnect?
    Do you have a graphics tablet or it's driver installed?
  • edited April 2010
    No dice. Tried unplugging my USB tablet, speakers (I use a non-usb headset nowadays) and external hard drive and reboot, but again, nothing's changed.

I also finally managed to download DirectX updater, but when initializing it gives me an error message saying that it cannot download a file and quits the installation. I don't think it's my internet that is the problem, but who knows?

I'm losing all hope.:(
  • edited April 2010
    Can you try downloading and installing the self-contained DirectX updater instead of the web-install one? It's 104MB, but it won't try to download any additional files once you run it.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56511&clcid=0x409
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    No dice. Tried unplugging my USB tablet, speakers (I use a non-usb headset nowadays) and external hard drive and reboot, but again, nothing's changed.

Can you try uninstalling the USB Tablet drivers? If it works then try installing the latest ones.
  • edited April 2010
    It worked!

Apparently having Macro Key Manager installed for the Genius Media Tablet Series was what caused the problem! I hope someone from development sees this, because as much as I'm glad that S&M works, I'd still like to enjoy drawing with my USB tablet without re-installing depending on my mood as to whether I'd like to play Sam and Max. A fix should be made.
This discussion has been closed.