S&M The Penal Zone Crashes on startup

edited May 2010 in Game Support
I purchased the game on my XP computer via the Telltale Games site, played it for about an hour without any problems. I went to play it the next day and the screen went black for 5 seconds or so, and went back to normal like nothing happened. No error message, no notice at all. I restarted my computer and tried again, and it still didn't work. I uninstalled the game (deleted save files also), and redownloaded it and it still does not work.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    It goes back to normal? So you can play the game except for the short black screen on the start?

Otherwise try updating your graphics drivers and DirectX and please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited April 2010
    What I meant by "back to normal" was that it went back to the desktop. I was unable to play the game at all.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Try installing the latest Graphics Driver and Audio Driver for your system.
  • edited April 2010
    The game still does not run after downloading the drivers.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    The game still does not run after downloading the drivers.

I hope you installed them too.

Next thing i would try is starting the game during a clean boot.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited May 2010
    I found out that in order for this game to run, my computer needs to be disconnected from the internet. I am not sure why this is, but I suspect that the pop-up launcher's community features are not working properly for whatever reason. Thanks for your help.
  • edited May 2010
    My sammax301.exe crashes at startup. Currently I've pretty much fed up with giving money for non-working games, so I'd like to get my money back. How do I go about doing that.
  • edited May 2010
    habkb wrote: »
    My sammax301.exe crashes at startup. Currently I've pretty much fed up with giving money for non-working games, so I'd like to get my money back. How do I go about doing that.

Maybe we could try to help you with the game first?
    Are you experiencing something similar as the user in the first post of this thread or has this game always crashed?
    If it always crashed: Do you use dual screnns? If you are try disabling the second screen, start the game once. If it runs it should run now even with the second screen enabled.
  • edited May 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    Maybe we could try to help you with the game first?
    Are you experiencing something similar as the user in the first post of this thread or has this game always crashed?
    If it always crashed: Do you use dual screnns? If you are try disabling the second screen, start the game once. If it runs it should run now even with the second screen enabled.

Only one screen, latest drivers, latest directx, uninstalled rebooted reinstalled, disabled AV, disconnected from network. This isn't the first time this has happenend with Telltale games, as I had plenty of similar trouble with the Monkey Island series. This isn't worth it anymore.
This discussion has been closed.