Sam and Max 301 startup problem

edited May 2010 in Game Support
Ok ive had S&M for a while now and ive been able to play it on my laptop (laggy like hell though) so i dicided to put it on my tower and for some reason it wont start at all. it shows "lauching S&M..." and that window just dissapears.
Firewall is allowing it, ive updates my sound and graphics card drivers, and ive tryed:
Booting clean in Windows XP:
1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
6. Click on the Services tab
7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
6. Click OK
7. Click Restart
8. After reboot
(after viewing these forums)

I honistaly dont know whats going on.
Steam box pops up "Launching Sam and Max" then dissapears
Im using Windows XP and atm i dont know my specs ill upload them if need be

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing. If you try to start the game and check your Task Manager does the game (SamMax301.exe) show up under the Processes tab?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Do you have any USB devices plugged in other than your standard mouse and keyboard? If so, could you try unplugging and rebooting?
  • edited April 2010
    The .exe dosnt even start (ive checked aswell) so i have no idea whats wrong and all i have is my USB Gaming mouse and Keyboard. thats all i have in it at the moment.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2010
    Do you have LUA installed?

Maybe a dxdiag log could give us useful information.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited April 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »

Maybe a dxdiag log could give us useful information.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

I dint know what LUA is so no i dont and ill just Copy n Paste my specs later.
    Right now im trying to fix the bigger isue of the Steam BETA stoping my connection -_-
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Do you have any USB devices plugged in other than your standard mouse and keyboard? If so, could you try unplugging and rebooting?

ummm, what if Steam and 'The Penal Zone" are stored on an external USB harddrive? and what about a USB headset?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Hmm, well I certainly don't want to say that it is DEFINITELY the problem, but I'd say there is at least a significant chance that it could be the problem. If you aren't able to get the game to work doing the other basic tests, installing the game to a non-USB drive would be next test.
  • edited April 2010
    Well ive tryed installing it on a USB device, external and internal hard drives and i still cant get it to work. but on my laptop first time i installed it, it ran ok (laggy as hell though xD)
  • edited April 2010
    My main problem is that my computer doesn't have very much space left. Would it be possible to download only steam with the devils playhouse to my computer and keep the other version of steam on my hard drive? (yes I know this isn't a Steam forum thread, I was just wondering if anyone knew here.)
  • edited May 2010
    There you go
  • edited May 2010
    I tried opeing the game with only my mouse and keyboard attached (and the external hard drive of course) and Sam & Max 301 still won't launch. Is there any kind of fix for this?:confused:
  • edited May 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »

What if he did? I'm having the exact same problem as the OP and I have installed Lua recently. Please help me; I don't wish to uninstall Lua.

I've invested ~81 minutes into Sam and Max 204 (according to Steam) and I installed Lua over the weekend and since then, it crashes immediately after launching.

My specs: WinXP, ATI Radeon 4770 -- latest Catalyst drivers installed.

Thanks!
  • edited May 2010
    I found an older thread about deleting Lua environment variables from Contol Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables. Specifically, I deleted the LUA_PATH and LUA_DEV system variables and restarted the computer.

The fact that this issue may persist with season three seems frankly absurd on Telltale's end. Many games embed Lua for scripting purposes, yet this is the first I've heard of such conflict.
This discussion has been closed.