Question about Conroy Bumpus

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
In Hit the Road, is Conroy Bumpus supposed to be a spoof of Conway Twitty?

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited April 2010
    In Hit the Road, is Conroy Bumpus supposed to be a spoof of Conway Twitty?
    His name was most likely inspired by Conway Twitty, and the poofy hair probably was too. :)

But, Conroy Bumpus is extremely short and Conway Twitty was tall (6'1), so I don't think he was a spoof of him. Like most Sam & Max characters, he was most likely a pastiche of different country stars (like how Flint Paper is a pastiche of different hard boiled detectives).
  • edited April 2010
    I thought he was a bad parody of Elvis, geez the more I know, the more I don't want too...
  • edited April 2010
    im assuming that youve started playing this game recently. I should probably start, too...
  • edited May 2010
    Jennifer wrote: »
    His name was most likely inspired by Conway Twitty, and the poofy hair probably was too. :)

But, Conroy Bumpus is extremely short and Conway Twitty was tall (6'1), so I don't think he was a spoof of him. Like most Sam & Max characters, he was most likely a pastiche of different country stars (like how Flint Paper is a pastiche of different hard boiled detectives).

Well, I figured that Bumpusville was supposed to be a reference to Graceland (Elvis's) estate, and he's from Liverpool like the Beatles (particularly John Lennon, who sounded a bit like Conroy Bumpus and lived in America from the break-up of the Beatles until his death.)
  • edited May 2010
    Oh, and by the way, which private detectives does Flint Paper spoof?
  • Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's any particular detectives. Just lots and lots of detective stereotypes.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh, and by the way, which private detectives does Flint Paper spoof?

I always imagined Flint as sort of a juxtaposition to Sam and Max's off-the-wall detectiving as the straight-up, pro detective.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.