SoMI:SE crashing on startup

thpthp
edited May 2010 in Game Support
I've just ordered SoMI:SE from the shop here, and downloaded and activated the game. The game always crashes when starting, I don't even see a splash screen. I've tried both on an oder XP SP3 machine and a newer MacBook Pro running Windows 7.

Is this a known problem? Anything I can try to fix the issue? Additional information I can provide that helps in debugging the issue?

Comments

• thpthp
    edited May 2010
    Attached a screenshot of the error details in Windows XP SP3.
  • thpthp
    edited May 2010
    ..and here is the screenshot from the Windows 7 machine.
  • thpthp
    edited May 2010
    Fixed it now on the Win7 machine by updating DirectX and .NET with the help of this thread:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918696
  • edited May 2010
    Hi. When I try to run SOMI:SE I get the white rectangle and then the "stopped working" message. Running Windows Vista with DirectX 11 on GeForge 8800 GTS 512MB. Display is my LCD HDTV (VGA connection) television running at 1920x1080 32-bit color. Tried some smaller resolutions. Tried compatibility mode for XP SP2 as well as "disable visual themes" "disable desktop composition" and "disable display scaling on high DPI settings". No love. Turned off all the Norton Internet Security protections too. Oh and I have all the latest from Microsoft Update.

I see in the forum a couple people got it working in windowed mode by downloading a prefs file but I haven't gotten into the game so I don't have a "My Documents/Telltale Games/<Name of game>" folder to put it in.

Please help and thanks! Attached dxdiag output.
  • edited May 2010
    @sherah137 I'm afraid I couldn't open your dxdiag zip file, but hopefully this will still help. Windows Vista/7 uses DirectX 10, so even if you get all of the automatic updates, I don't think you will have what SOMI needs, which is an updated 9.0. Go to Microsoft and install the latest DirectX End-User Web Installer. That's what fixed SOMI for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3
  • edited May 2010
    Well telltale didn't make the Special Editions... I'd ask for help on a Lucas arts forum.
  • edited May 2010
    MoxSliver wrote: »
    @sherah137 I'm afraid I couldn't open your dxdiag zip file, but hopefully this will still help. Windows Vista/7 uses DirectX 10, so even if you get all of the automatic updates, I don't think you won't have what SOMI needs. Go to Microsoft and install the latest DirectX End-User Web Installer. That's what fixed SOMI for me.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

Bingo... worked... THANKS!
  • edited May 2010
    You're welcome, paramedicma. And thank you for not pointing out my terrible grammar. "I don't think you won't have...?" Ugh! That's been edited.
  • edited May 2010
    MoxSliver wrote: »
    @sherah137 I'm afraid I couldn't open your dxdiag zip file, but hopefully this will still help. Windows Vista/7 uses DirectX 10, so even if you get all of the automatic updates, I don't think you will have what SOMI needs, which is an updated 9.0. Go to Microsoft and install the latest DirectX End-User Web Installer. That's what fixed SOMI for me.

Thanks but we have DX 11 running. Not sure I could/would want to install DX 9 alongside it.

Another interesting development...after playing TOMI for the first time on the same machine and then re-trying SOMI...it worked.
  • edited May 2010
    sherah137 wrote: »
    Thanks but we have DX 11 running. Not sure I could/would want to install DX 9 alongside it.

Another interesting development...after playing TOMI for the first time on the same machine and then re-trying SOMI...it worked.
    That's probably because the installer for ToMI also installs DirectX 9, because ToMI needs that to run too.
    And there's no harm in having multiple versions of DirectX installed, as far as I know.
  • edited May 2010
    sherah137 wrote: »
    Yes. Yes, you would.

DirectX 11 is only backwards compatible to DirectX 10, so without installing DirectX 9 you couldn't play a single non-DirectX 10/11 game, which today still happens to be almost all of them.
This discussion has been closed.