De Soto Model

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
I got really interested in De Sotos 'cause of Sam & Max and I was wondering what the model was. Also which model do you think is cool, and which color?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Its definitely a early to mid 60's De Soto convertible... It may be worth looking into getting a model and painting it up like S&M's

EDIT

While googleing the car I came across this picture ..... It seems like a perfect picture for Max-o-vision picture flashes. Why? Its old weird and that woman is posing next to a De Soto engine

FiredomeV8%2C1952.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    They drive a 1960 DeSoto Adventuerer if I remember correctly. The model undergoes some obvious bodywork before the Telltale seasons.
  • edited May 2010
    I thought they said that they got a brand new de soto altogether in the telltale games.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah the TTG one is different the comic, LA game and Cartoon all had a hardtop desoto.

surfin_original.jpg
    sam-max-freelance_super.jpg
    71301.jpg
    DeSoto.png
    sam-max-culture-shock-desoto.jpg
  • edited May 2010
    I just spent a lot of time looking for a reasonably priced DeSoto model kit so I can put it together and paint it up like Sam and Max's
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks. I thought it was the 1958 model or 1957 the 1960 was only hardtop so it can't be that. Either way it's a way cool car
  • edited May 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Yeah the TTG one is different the comic, LA game and Cartoon all had a hardtop desoto.

Freelance Police also had the hardtop. However, one of Culture Shock's throwaway lines:

"Remember our old car Max?"
    "I said I was sorry!"

'Nuff said really.
  • edited May 2010
    I have a feeling the internal reasoning was simply because they couldn't fit Sam's head and hat under the roof without clipping issues.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    They drive a 1960 DeSoto Adventuerer if I remember correctly.

Wow, those things look pretty cartoonish to start off with.
    Irishmile wrote: »
    I just spent a lot of time looking for a reasonably priced DeSoto model kit so I can put it together and paint it up like Sam and Max's

So did you find one?

If I was in the market for a car, I'd be looking for a DeSoto to paint up like Sam & Max's (only with my initials on the badge).

Either that, or a DeLorean to customise with a flux capacitor.

OR maybe even a reasonably priced second-hand model of whatever's reliable and going cheap. :p
  • edited May 2010
    No... most are the wrong year so the front grill and headlights are all wrong.
  • edited May 2010
    DeSoto, DeLorean... What's with these car names that start with "De" and then have another capital letter in the middle of the word?
  • edited May 2010
    They are last names..... Hernando de Soto and John DeLorean.. My last name actually has two capital letters as well.....
  • edited May 2010
    I guess it just feels weird because French names never do that. Like, it's Descartes, not "DesCartes". Either it's two different words, or there is only one capital letter at the beginning.
    But in English, I keep seeing things like "LeChuck", and it just feels weird after being taught for so long that capitals letters are only found on the first letter of a word (except if the whole word is in capitals, that it).

But then again, French uses capitals less often to begin with. Like, weekdays and month names don't take a capital like they do in English, neither do adjectives ("an American friend", "American" wouldn't take a capital because it's an adjective) and other things like that.

EDIT: oh, and in book/movie/song titles, English capitalises the first letter of every word (except articles or particles) while French only capitalises the first word, the second if the first was an article, and words that would normally be capitalised (names, places, etc).
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    SRTie4k wrote: »
    I have a feeling the internal reasoning was simply because they couldn't fit Sam's head and hat under the roof without clipping issues.

Actually Steve told us he thought it would be cool if the roof was removed, is all. One initial backstory was that the roof rusted away after a decade of neglect, and the pinstriping and over-styling came from a low-budget, high-style attempt to repair the damage. I don't think that ever made it into the game, though. I think, actually, that Steve had a story for Sam & Max to return home and discover what happened to their car planned in the webcomic, but in a later chapter we never saw. He may have mentioned that recently in one of the billion interviews he's done lately...
  • edited May 2010
    In the Private Forum, in fact: It was because the Car got under pidgeon poop for about a decade.

While I was pretty sure it was partialy because It would be easier do not animate the doors of the deSoto. Which I'm pretty sure those doors do not work anymore =P
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    While I was pretty sure it was partialy because It would be easier do not animate the doors of the deSoto. Which I'm pretty sure those doors do not work anymore =P

One day we'll toss doors on there. It's not too hard the way it's modeled, but back when doing 101 it wasn't necessary so we skipped it. I would love to see doors though :)
  • edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Actually Steve told us he thought it would be cool if the roof was removed, is all. One initial backstory was that the roof rusted away after a decade of neglect, and the pinstriping and over-styling came from a low-budget, high-style attempt to repair the damage. I don't think that ever made it into the game, though. I think, actually, that Steve had a story for Sam & Max to return home and discover what happened to their car planned in the webcomic, but in a later chapter we never saw. He may have mentioned that recently in one of the billion interviews he's done lately...

In the "ask Steve Purcell" subject of the preorder forum, he said that he did intent on finishing the webcomic, and that we had to see what years of rust did to their car.
    I guess you've ruined it for us now, eh? :p
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    In the "ask Steve Purcell" subject of the preorder forum, he said that he did intent on finishing the webcomic, and that we had to see what years of rust did to their car.

Darnit, Avistew! I'd already forgotten Steve mentioned that! At least before, I could have led myself to believe it was a surprise ... :( :p
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

I though that was Pidgeon Poop.
    One day we'll toss doors on there. It's not too hard the way it's modeled, but back when doing 101 it wasn't necessary so we skipped it. I would love to see doors though :)

Me too. Me too. For some stupid reason. Not really an actually valid one. =P
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    I though that was Pidgeon Poop.

I didn't remember what it was, but since Jake mentioned rust I assumed that was that.

Oh well, now we don't know for sure! The Mystery is still alive!
  • edited May 2010
    I like to think the gooier treats Sam and Max noshed on in the DeSoto contributed to the doors starting to glue themselves shut (hooray for godawful cleaning habits!). The years Sam and Max spent MIA finally did them in -- from severe sticking to a hermetic seal. Since the roof had gone to pot too, Sam didn't see the point in rushing to repair the doors, and Max had found a MoonPie he'd stuck between the cushions in the back seat for safekeeping eleven years earlier and didn't care anymore.

... What?
  • edited May 2010
    But I was wondering what year model like 1963 or 1969
    ( I don't think there was a 1963 model)
  • edited May 2010

oh man i would love to see the desoto get a little more love like that. Its kind of the unofficial third main character.... that and its just a really kickass car.

quick question arent many of the background cars desotos as well only with hardtops?
    was permission needed from Chrysler to use the car?
    I find this behind the scenes stuff interesting thanks for sharing that stuff Jake.
  • edited May 2010
    I'd find a way to put all the crazy attachments from the last two seasons and the decals on it (and stick Curt, Bob, and Chippy in there). maybe even some red ground lighting, being demonically possessed and all.

Has anyone noticed their supposed to be police but never invested in a police light?
  • edited May 2010
  • edited May 2010
    Gammon wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed their supposed to be police but never invested in a police light?

They never invested in "no stinkin' police badges!" either. Guess they think the black and white car and the guns is enough.
  • edited May 2010
    The following is taken directly from the Freelance Police cartoon series bible written by Steve Purcell himself...

72665703.jpg

Here is a little known version of the DeSoto that I did not include in the pictures in an earlier post... Its concept art showing a futuristic version of the DeSoto, from the canceled action/adventure game Sam & Max Plunge Through Space Not to be confused with the also cancelled Lucasarts title Freelance Police

300px-Green_Mama%27s.jpg
Sign in to comment in this discussion.