Wii have region lock >_<

edited December 2006 in General Chat
Hey all. I hope everyone is enjoying their wii's (for those of you who have managed to get one). I saw the thread for friend codes which is nice also. Something that is a bit of a problem is starting to rear it's head on the Wii. I'm talking about the regional lock. One of the big things which was touted by next gen systems was the removal from region lock. Many 360 games do not have this lock as well as sony not having locks on their games for the ps3. Nintendo Nintendo DS and PSP are lock free. However, Nintendo is locking many of their games on the Wii. This is a real pain in the ass since many good games in Japan never make it to our shores. Importing these games is an option if you can get over the language barrier. Anyway, with Nintendo allowing regional lock on their games it is like spitting in the face of loyal fans. I encourage you to write to the big N and voice your support. Hopefully we can break down the internationall walls and stop getting the short end of the stick when it comes to software from Japanese companies.

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2006
    There's always this.
  • edited December 2006
    Wouldn't something like this be breaking the DMCA? (granted I don't know the DMCA as well as I should and in actual fact it doesn't apply to me)
    All Nintendo has to do is make an adjustment to the firmware in an update. (in theory at least)
  • edited December 2006
    The Gamecube had region locking as well, and it was no secret in advance of the Wii's release that it would support region locking as well, so I think it might be a little much to call it "spitting in the face of loyal fans".
  • edited December 2006
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732748p1.html
    according to this article Nintendo lied to us though since first party games are locked too and 3rd party probably had little choice in the matter.
    I'm not about to run out and buy a ps3 because it doesn't have region lock but thats something sony did right for a change.
    Why force people to crack open their systems and mod them just so they can play import games. It paves the way for the very piracy they were intending to prevent because when people get pissed off at a company for turning their back they want them to pay for it.

* Yes I am being a little harsh but there are a ton of games that never make it to the shores of North America because the execs say it wouldn't sell in my market.
  • edited December 2006
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732982p1.html

That article was corrected the next day.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.