Crash at end of intro section

edited May 2010 in Game Support
I'm trying to play steam version of Sam & Max Penal Zone. Every time I pick up the max bazooka, the screen freezes. I've left it running for 30mins +, and it just will not move further.

I've tried full screen and windowed, and I've tried every graphics setting from 1-9, as well as an assortment of different resolutoins.

I've updated my graphics card drivers to catalyst 10.4 and updated to latest directx.

I've tried a completely clean boot.

In all cases, it freezes. Same place, every single time.

I tried it on my wife's computer, and it works, but let's just say her computer isn't as fun to play on.

I even tried playing on hers until just after the intro, saving the game, copying it to my computer, and loading it - but then it just locks up as soon as I click "load".

Computer is
Athlon II x4 630, 8gb ram, dual hd5750 in xfire, windows 7 64.
DXDIAG attached.

Comments

• BenBen Former Telltale Staff
    edited May 2010
    There is a big load that occurs at that point, but it shouldn't take 30 minutes.
    I even tried playing on hers until just after the intro, saving the game, copying it to my computer, and loading it - but then it just locks up as soon as I click "load".
    This should work in theory, if you copy both the *.save files and prefs.prop. Make sure you have your wife's computer set to a resolution and graphics quality your computer will support before copying prefs.prop. There may be other things that can go wrong with this, and we don't officially support transferring save games as far as I know...but we do it internally sometimes and it usually works.

You could also try making saves on your wifes computer in different locations. Right after the credits, you are on the street which is the largest area in the game. Try walking into Stinky's and making a save there. Of course if your computer can't load the street specifically, you won't really be able to play. Would be useful information to have though.
  • edited May 2010
    I'll try that. I actually copied all of the saves before, and some of the saves from in the ufo worked, but the one save on the street would lock up. I'm playing hers on 800x600 minimum graphics (it's a pretty rudimentary machine), so it should be a compatible setting. But I only tried that street, didn't try any of the nearby buildings or anything. Will update once I've tried.
This discussion has been closed.