So what's the satire theme in Season 3?

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
Season 1 was a satire of media, ideals and public stupidity.

Season 2 was a satire of religion and people's beliefs.

So what's Season 3 going to be? It seems less satirical than the other seasons, and more focused on the funny.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Ancient Egypt?...
  • edited May 2010
    season 3 is a satire of satirical situations.

also space and psychic powers
  • edited May 2010
    70s and 80s movies...
  • edited May 2010
    Wait, what?

Season 1's theme was hypnotism, Season 2's was the occult. Season Three seems to be going for a different approach, episodes linked more by a narrative than a theme, though we'll see more of the full picture after another episode or two.
  • edited May 2010
    Wait, what?

Season 1's theme was hypnotism, Season 2's was the occult. Season Three seems to be going for a different approach, episodes linked more by a narrative than a theme, though we'll see more of the full picture after another episode or two.

"Main subject of satire" and "theme of the plot" are different things, I have to inform. As ABlackEyedPea pointed out, along with the theme of plot of a season some key issues are made fun of much more. Yes, Season 1 made fun of media and public stupidity (because
    Hugh Bliss
    tried to "hypnotize" people using that sources and etc) and Season 2 made fun of generally believed fictions (Santa, portals, vampires, UFOs) and religion (hell).

I don't think they're making fun of 80's scifi movies. They're rather paying homage to them with a total respect. It's not like I'm trying to say they don't respect things that they make fun of (developers, i mean, Sam and Max would totally disrespect those things), but I mean more like... you know, I never said anything like "WOW, that was a big blow up in the nose of 80's movies!" or anything.
  • edited May 2010
    Sam & max isn't particularly satirical though. Though the word seems to be getting a more broad meaning all the time.

Case in point
  • edited May 2010
    Season 2 was a satire of religion and people's beliefs.
    wait what
  • edited May 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    wait what

Easter island's statues were part of Rapa nui religeon, although now it is usually refered to as a mythology. They worshiped Makemake, who is now the namesake of a dwarf planet (non, i don't think Pluto should be a planet in case you were wondering).

Christianity was made fun of with the extremly casual setting of hell. I guess Ice Station Santa also makes fun of Christianity.

Night of the Raving Dead and Chariot of the Dogs makes fun of my religeon. I happen to worship worthless typewriter ribbons.
  • edited May 2010
    So Hugh Bliss' cult was not a satire of religion? What?
  • edited May 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    So Hugh Bliss' cult was not a satire of religion? What?

I always thought Hugh Bliss's Prismatology was more a slap in the face to all that self-help stuff, but then I remembered what the Scientologists offer to the uninitiated
  • edited May 2010
    I was under the impression that this season they would be lampooning the Twilight Zone, I mean that's kinda what it all resembles what with the narrator and very Twilight Zone-esque set up for the first episode.
  • edited May 2010
    70s and 80s movies...

I agree. Just look at the titles. They sound like movies to show to the general public during lunchtime to drive them crazy in order to take over the world.
  • edited May 2010
    I was getting a Twilight Zone / 50's b-grade sci-fi horror vibe (Plan 9), but that's not to say it's a satire of those things, more a homage as has been mentioned already.
  • edited May 2010
    For now, film. The actuall center of the satire isn't usually apparent untill the 4th or 5th episode.
  • edited May 2010
    I figured that Season 1's satire was clear enough by the end of 102, but Season 2 was tons more subtle, and only 202 and 205 were a bit more recognizable as to the target.

There's not just one theme of satire amongst the Telltale games (they tend to mix and match a bit, at least in Season 1), but they seem to have been toning it down of late.

I suppose we'll have to wait for 302, anyways. XD This month, right?
Sign in to comment in this discussion.