Tales Of Monkey Island Doesn't Start on Vista 64.

edited May 2010 in Game Support
Hey, I just recently bought the bundle pack with Monkey Island: SE. The special edition works fine. Tales of monkey island does not start at all. The thing is, I downloaded the demo not too long ago on steam and it worked absolutely fine.

Whenever I try to launch it, moneyisland101.exe starts to run. I see an hour glass cursor, then the program eventually just disappears from task manager. There's no error message or anything. I'm running this on Vista 64 machine. I updated graphics drivers and everything. The game does not even start up, nothing happens. I don't even get to enter my cd key or anything.

Keep in mind, even though I downloaded the demo on steam, I didn't purchase the full game through steam. I bought it through the telltale site. So I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I've tried downloading and reinstalling, nothing works.

If anyone has had this problem and knows how to solve it, please let me know.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2010
    You can try starting the game while disconnected from the internet. Also try a clean boot, and please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited May 2010
    I tried the msconfig stuff to no avail. I noticed that when monkeyisland101.exe runs in the taskmanager so does dllhost.exe then closes along with it. No error messages of any kind, just disappears from the task manager. I included the DXDiag.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Do you have LUA installed? It causes that kind of symptoms.

You should also try installing the latest Realtek HDA drivers.
  • edited May 2010
    You know what, yeah I think i do have LUA installed. That's wierd, does the game run using LUA?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2010
    monkeyfan wrote: »
    You know what, yeah I think i do have LUA installed. That's wierd, does the game run using LUA?

It does. The environment variable LUA_PATH conflicts with the games.
    You can remove it entirely, or unset it in a batch file before starting the game if you need it.
  • edited May 2010
    thanks I uninstalled lua and it worked, I wonder if this caused any problems with other games to run slowly.
This discussion has been closed.