Tales of Monkey Island: Chapters 1-5: Does not start

edited May 2010 in Game Support
I've bought TMI on Steam.
I try to run the Chapters on Vista Ultimate 64bit IntelQuad/4GB/NVidia 9600/dual monitor configuration.

When first started, each chapter anounced that it will install DirectX.
And nothing else happened.

At further trials to start the game (also after restarting the PC) nothing, but a small little window, splashing with a "Preparing to launch ..." on the Steam colours...

Is this a PC configuration problem, a Steam problem or one of Guy's puzzles? (I've played ... once upon a time... the old DOS ... )

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Try turning off your second monitor and/or Steam overlay.

Apparently they cause crashes with S&M 301 too, wouldn't be a stretch the same could occur with ToMI.
  • edited May 2010
    I have S&M 301 (was in the same Steam package) and it works fine.
    Do I have some diagnostic tool or some log to look for?
  • edited May 2010
    After a long week and some messages changed with Steam, the Tales are still not starting. The only thing what could be seen is a very briefly apearing small window with a "Preparing to launch..." in it. After that, the voidness. No error, no game, no nothing.

The same happens with all the five chapters.

NVidia driver, Window and DirectX are all today updated.
  • edited May 2010
    It seems that it is a problem with Telltale's Tales of Monkey Island and 64 bit Windows Vista.
    While Sam&Max 301,302 start right, ToMI has a problem (at least on the Steam version). What is strange is that the two games has somehow similar folder structure and very similar files (as style and name at least).
    When checking dxdiag, it apears a DirectShow crash when running in 32 bit mode. If the DxDiag runs on 64 bits all goes well.

What's the difference between S&M and ToMI from this DirectShow 32 bit crash point of view?

Has ToMI some command line options, which could be used to jump over this crash point.

*When launched, ToMI shows a short (seconds) window with Preparing to launch, afterward nothing. If running with 256 colors setting enabled, it shows a secondary window, with an error message about 3D mode initialisation error.

What can we do?
This discussion has been closed.