TOMI running extremely slow

edited May 2010 in Game Support
Hi,

I have updated DirectX and drivers, TOMI first shows a black screen for a while and then starts but is very very slow, the sound is ok but the graphics are too slow. I am attaching the DirectX settings file. I have played with the resolution and also reduced the quality however, its still very slow. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

Zee

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950

It is slow because you only have a slow integrated graphics chip.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. When I bought the game I looked at the following requirements posted on the Direct2Drive website:

Tales of Monkey Island™ Download Minimum System Requirements
    Operating system: Windows XP / Vista
    Processor: 2.0 GHz + (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent rec.)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB rec.) Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better

The card my system has is:

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
    Memory Size: 224 MB

Doesnt the graphics card fulfill the requirement mentioned above? it has 224MB memory.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2010
    ZeeZee wrote: »
    Doesnt the graphics card fulfill the requirement mentioned above?

It does, but that requirement specifies what you need to get the game running at all, not the required performance of the graphics card, which is the problem in your case.

Take a look at the How can I tell if my video card will work with your games? section of the support FAQ for detailed information. It also mentions that most Intel graphics are not suitable for these games.

If you can't get it to work well in the lowest quality setting and resolution there's not much you can do. You could give http://www.gmabooster.com/ a try, although i don't know if it's any good.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have a few concerns, I would appreciate if you could help in resolving them:

1) Firstly, I dont think I can call the game as "Running" on my machine because:

- It shows a black screen for 3-5 min then shows the screen of the game
    - I cannot control the player as the system hangs when I try to move the player, so I dont think its slow, infact its not playable at all at any speed (as you told me that my video card driver is mentioned in the FAQ section that it will not work with the game)
    - I am very willing to share my desktop with your representative so he can see for himself whether he can consider that the game as "Running" on my machine or not

2) Secondly I think that the "How can I tell if my video card will work with your games?" section of the support FAQ should be mentioned somewhere at the time of buying along with the minimum hardware requirements, so that we can buy something that would at least work.

3) I have paid 35 dollar to buy this game online after reading the minimum system requirements. If I still cannot play the game whether slow or fast what is the use? I would appreciate if I could be informed about the process of getting a refund as this game is totally useless on my system which is above the mentioned "minimum requirements" shown at the time of buying.

I would appreciate if you could help me in getting a refund for the game or direct me to someone who can help me. Thank you.
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited May 2010
    Whether considering a refund or asking any question (technical or not) regarding one of Telltale's games, it never hurts to e-mail support@telltalegames.com.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks, I will do that.
This discussion has been closed.