S&M 302 - unrecoverable gameplay bug?

edited June 2010 in Game Support
On the second reel
after picking up the bust the first time, I put it back down on the plinth and got sent back to being a hieroglyph. Got out of that with the same cucumber line, but when I did, the bust had gone from the plinth and my inventory too!
Have I missed something, or is this a bug?

Comments

• SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Happened to me too.
  • edited May 2010
    At least it's not just me. Be great to get a confirmation from one of the tt peeps as to whether it's meant to happen or not. Mind you, I'm guessing they're probably a little busy today fielding quite a few similar questions!

Did you start again, or keeping playing?
  • edited May 2010
    Hello! My name is Caleb. I'm the QA Lead at Telltale Games. We're really sorry to hear that this issue slipped through, and we're working on figuring out what the underlying problem is here.

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this following the steps listed in the initial post in this thread. Is there anything else you can think of that you did in the game prior to getting this bug that might have caused it? Had you switched reels a lot, did you have any of the mole curses when it happened... any specific information would be helpful.

Better yet, if you're playing on PC and could send us a save game where this has happened, that would be extremely helpful! :)

Thanks in advance for helping us help you!
  • SquinkySquinky Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Uploaded a save file here. (I'm playing the Mac version, if it matters.)
  • edited May 2010
    Happened to me as well...
    Can't give much info, as i only noticed it when wanting to get the bust back much later...
    I might have been under the sexo rejecto curse, but i can't be sure.
  • edited May 2010
    Unfortunately, my save is quite a way after the bug must've occurred, but I just didn't notice at the time... :rolleyes: Hope it helps though.

As much as can remember, the running order went like this:
    - put the bust in right niche
    - put the bust in left niche
    - did some stuff (might have changed reels, not sure)
    - came back and pressed the plinth button (can't remember if this triggered s&m turning into hieroglyphs or not. If it did, I got down.)
    - put the bust on the plinth.
    - got down
    - did some more stuff, and some time later realised the bust was gone.
    I definitely wasn't under any curses whilst doing this.

PS As an aside, it'd be useful if your own forum's upload restrictions weren't so tight that we can't upload your game's save files! :D
  • edited May 2010
    Playing the PS3 version, and I had the same issue. I believe I put the bust back on the original pedestal and picked it up again only to have it vanish when I got off the wall again. Can't even interact with the pedestal anymore.
  • edited May 2010
    I'm running into the same issue. Here's my save file.
  • edited May 2010
    Try using astral projection to go to a different reel temporarily, then go back to reel 2 afterwards. The bust should reappear on the plinth.
  • edited May 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Try using astral projection to go to a different reel temporarily, then go back to reel 2 afterwards. The bust should reappear on the plinth.

I tried that and it didn't work, just to let other people know...

Luckily for me, loading my auto-save fixed it.
  • edited May 2010
    I ran into this bug pretty much immediately after solving the riddle. Hadn't gotten any curses yet. I mucked around with the bust in the niches a bit, then placed it back on the plinth and it disappeared during the animation. Couldn't get it back - the bust was gone and the selectable area only referred to the guardians. Switching reels fixed it.
  • edited May 2010
    Okay, just successfully replicated it. In case TTG hasn't figured it out (unlikely):

* Place the bust back.
    * Get the ventriqilist dummy.

Gonna do it again step-by-step now to see the precise cause, as it could have been anything between...

(Also interesting as additional note is that placing the bust in the RIGHT niche makes the trip-plate dissapear as well. Although that bug seems completely unrelated to this one)

EDIT:
    Problem isolated. It's Max turning into a cow, as it also happens after you just talk to her after pissing her off, turning Max into a cow (note: I did not place the bust until I had the dummy obviously!). Did quite a lot of other stuff in the tomb, and nothing had the same effect, just the cowturning.
    Don't ask me why the hell it's related though, that's for TTG to know/figure out.
  • edited May 2010
    This is very weird. I got this bug as well.

However, I think I got up to that point through a bug. I turned into the can of nuts while not on the bust ramp and then when sam and max were reappearing from the can, it moved up to the platform where you pickup the bust. :/
  • edited May 2010
    Happened to me as well.

I placed the bust on the pedestal, put Earhart into Grampa's hands, waited for her to escape and climb into the hole in the wall, then walked back out and the bust was gone and the pedestal was no longer clickable.
  • edited May 2010
    I also have experienced this bug. Switching reels does not restore the bust to the plinth.

-M
  • edited May 2010
    I also have this problem. Has a fix been found yet?
  • edited May 2010
    caeska wrote: »

I also tried that to no avail.

My last save game is quite a while back...hope a fix can be found.
  • edited June 2010
    i also got this problem , but only realised i need that to complete the game ! , now i cannot progress any more into the game untill i get my bust back , any idea how long on the fix?
  • edited June 2010
    I just ran into this issue, too. After picking up the bust, I put it in each of the nooks, then put it back on the plinth, at which point it disappeared. Changing reels doesn't do anything. Like Hassat Hunter said, the trip plate also disappears, but I'm pretty sure I made the bust disappear before I got the ventriloquist dummy or got any curses.

Here's my savegame: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ydzm3yjmjzz
    Unfortunately, I progressed a while after it happened, thinking it would reappear, so it might not help.

edit: I did a little more testing, and it has something to do with the right niche. If you put the bust in the right niche, the trip plate disappears. You can see this if you run over to the trip plate after placing the bust in the niche, or while you're removing the bust. After you remove the bust, the trip plate reappears, but I can't recreate this bug so I'm not sure what's causing the trip plate to stay hidden.
This discussion has been closed.