Things to do in Maximus's mind - The Tomb of Sammun-Mak "Did You Try?" list!

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Just like the last one, this repeats itself. This Psychic walkthrough is shorter and less complicated;
Spoilers anyway.

For Previous Episode(s), go here:
The Penal Zone, Alternate Thread

Psychic Powers:
Charlie Ho-Tep = Psychic Ventriliquism: Like a comic holding a dummy, you may thrust your voice into any object, or person who is near you.
Can O' Nuts = Fail-Proof Hiding Place: Snakes in a Can, or Bunny in a can... Doesn't matter unless you're in need of a quick hiding spot.
Astral Projection = Past Vision: Future Vision is handy, but when needed this lets you view things that did, not can happen.

Using the Powers:

Psychic Ventriliquism:
*The Beginning*
-Use on Sameth
-Use on Kringle
-Use on Anubis Statue (behind Maximus)
-Use on Yogg-Saggoth Statue (default)

*The Tomb*
-Use on Benny
-Use on Neffertiti(???)
-Use on Gramps
-Use on Amelia
-Use on Yogg-Saggoth Statue
-Use on Sameth 7 times
-Use on Guardians while the bust is in the slots, and when it's not

*Train*
-Use on Sameth in Moles' Room
-Use on Neffertiti(???) in and out of the Moles' Room
-Use on The Mole Trunk
-Use on Benny
-Use on Jurgen while he's talking to Neffertiti
-Use on Jurgen while he's in front of the Sarcofacus
-Use on Sarcofascus while Jurgen's there
-Use on Slushie
-Use on Amelia once while she's sleeping, and once when Slushie is outside, and again when he's inside
-Use on knocked out Kringle
*The End*
-Use on Papierwaite in and out of the summoning circle
-Use on Sameth (Does the same it always does, but it gives you a close up of him without a hat)

Can O' Nuts

-Use near Mole Woman
-Use in front of Kringle in Reel 1
-Use anywhere near Benny
-Use in Neffertiti's Chamber
-Use on "The Tongue of the Sphunx"
-Use in front of Amelia (Before and after you wake her)
-Use after you jam the "Doorways of Life & Death" with the bust
-Use before and after placing the milk or cookies on Kringle's tray

Little Fun Bits:

Images in Maximus's Mind
*Sameth's Bowler Hat & Mustache*
-On any person, object, scattered out through the entire game
Time to Die
*The Train*
-Before clicking on the "Box", use Can of Nuts
-Don't shut the child up

*The Tomb*
-Don't listen to the Old Mole, and touch the Toy Box
-When using "Bad Luck Curse", walk through the doors of Life and Death
-When entering Neffertiti's room, don't move and the snake will do the rest
-Walk in the Buriel Chamber without permission

*The End*
-Take to long to say the "Magic Words"
-Say the "Magic Words"

Trophies

Special thanks to Dangerzone to pointing these out for us... Now hopefully that's all that I missed but until then... They Stole Max's Brain!

Comments

• edited May 2010
    You forgot the guardians in the tomb (they both have the same line though).

Also, Amelia... try it once when Slushie is "out".
  • edited May 2010
    Use Bust on Cow (.... its funny)
  • edited May 2010
    Any one else notice the head crab in little arctic circle ?
  • edited May 2010
    You forgot the guardians in the tomb (they both have the same line though).

Also, Amelia... try it once when Slushie is "out".

Oh, yeah... Thanks!
    Dage wrote: »

The who's it what now?
  • edited May 2010
    Have trying "to die"?

Help me out with this one:
    - Passing to the door with Bad luck
    - Enter into Nefertiti's Room and do nothing about the Snake
    - Touch the Toybox
    - Do nothing while you are in the Train in the Second Reel
    - Take too long in the last Reel
    - Say the Magic Words in the Last Reel

I'm sure there's another but I can think of that...
  • edited May 2010
    There was also walking into Grandpa's room without distracting him first.
  • edited May 2010
    I tired but you can't use Ventriliquism on the sarcophagus when jurgen is standing in front of it but try it when baby Amelia isn't standing in front of it in the tomb

edit:nevermind, was to be done before He's a vampire, try compleating reals in different orders
  • edited May 2010
    What's the crossover content?
  • edited May 2010
    Now I remember, you can use it also in the in the statue of the Chackal Headed guy (Don't remember the name) at the beginning
  • edited May 2010
    "-Use on Yogg-Saggoth Statue"
    It's already listed... twice, since you can also do it in reel 2.
  • edited May 2010
    "-Use on Yogg-Saggoth Statue"
    It's already listed... twice, since you can also do it in reel 2.

No in Yogg Saggoth, in Anubis (That's the name!). It's just behind you =P
  • edited May 2010
    richforce wrote: »
    I tired but you can't use Ventriliquism on the sarcophagus when jurgen is standing in front of it but try it when baby Amelia isn't standing in front of it in the tomb

You definitely can. Try it again.
  • edited May 2010
    I just added a Death List.

@GinnyN
    Huh? What Anubis, is it at the beginning or the middle?
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    @GinnyN
    Huh? What Anubis, is it at the beginning or the middle?

In the beginning, I'm sure. It's not great, but there's
  • edited May 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    In the beginning, I'm sure. It's not great, but there's

Okay, I'll replay it and post if I find it.

Edit: You were right.
  • edited May 2010
    The 9 Deaths that count towards the PS3 trophy:
    -Get Shot by Santa at the beginning of Reel 3 (automatic)
    -Get Thrown of the Train in Reel 2 (don't shut up the baby or just do nothing)
    -Touch the Devil's Toybox while the protection spells active in Reel 2
    -Let yourself be Eaten by the Asp in Reel 2 (While the snakes out, try a walk into the room further or do nothing)
    -Walk into the Burial Chamber without permission or a distraction in Reel 2 (Pre-knocking Baby Emelia into Grandpa Mole)
    -Get Scimtared walking through the Doors of Life & Death after being afflicted with the Bad Luck Whammy in Reel 2 (Pre-throwing the Bust through the door)
    -Have Max Say His Lines properly in Reel 4
    -Stall long enough for Sam to be Eaten by Flesh-Eating Ants in Reel 4
    -Get hit by the Protection Spell in Reel 4 (automatic)
  • edited May 2010
    It's
    , not [spoilers]. Also, the Did You Try list is for people who have finished the game, so I don't know that they're necessary anyway.
  • edited May 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    You definitely can. Try it again.

My problem was I couldn't do while jurgen was a Vampire
  • edited May 2010
    Dage wrote: »

In fact, all three of your inventory items have reasonably funny results.
  • edited May 2010
    Use Max's puppet on everything you can, especially on Sam in different situations! :O)
  • edited May 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    The 9 Deaths that count towards the PS3 trophy:
    -Get Shot by Santa at the beginning of Reel 3 (automatic)
    -Get Thrown of the Train in Reel 2 (don't shut up the baby or just do nothing)
    -Touch the Devil's Toybox while the protection spells active in Reel 2
    -Let yourself be Eaten by the Asp in Reel 2 (While the snakes out, try a walk into the room further or do nothing)
    -Walk into the Burial Chamber without permission or a distraction in Reel 2 (Pre-knocking Baby Emelia into Grandpa Mole)
    -Get Scimtared walking through the Doors of Life & Death after being afflicted with the Bad Luck Whammy in Reel 2 (Pre-throwing the Bust through the door)
    -Have Max Say His Lines properly in Reel 4
    -Stall long enough for Sam to be Eaten by Flesh-Eating Ants in Reel 4
    -Get hit by the Protection Spell in Reel 4 (automatic)

I posted all of these, actually. They're up top just not as well described as you.
  • edited May 2010
    Well, I tried to get eaten by the asp in Nefertiti's room in my second playthrough. I'm sorry to break it to the people haven't tried it, but I'll post what really happens. Sorry!

http://i47.tinypic.com/28i867n.jpg
    Edit: Yes, I'm horribly childish.
  • edited May 2010
    Funny!

I also notice if you talk to Max, you notice how much time you have... (since the snake just vanishes all of a sudden when your times up).
  • edited May 2010
    You mean Maximus, right?

Speaking of which, I've seen that there are times when Sameth calls Maximus "Max". I wonder if they're some nasty slips of writing or Max is also used as a short form of Maximus.
  • edited May 2010
    Maximus calls Sameth, Sam once in the beginning while the subtitles say "Sameth". So it must be blooper.
  • edited May 2010
    I posted all of these, actually. They're up top just not as well described as you.

Was typing on an unupdated thread, my stupid. Was thinking about doing a PS3 trophy guide, but I'm too lazy now that I've got the little 100% sign.
    Maximus calls Sameth, Sam once in the beginning while the subtitles say "Sameth". So it must be blooper.

Subtitles seem off in a lot of places. Try talking to Max while a bas-relief.
  • edited May 2010
    "Use bust with cow" has been mentioned, but have you tried using the cookies and newspaper with cow?
  • edited May 2010
    Use cookies or burning newspaper with Papierwaite in the final showdown.
  • edited May 2010
    PS3 trophy guide.

Hmm, that's a good idea; I oughta do that when I get the PS3 version.
  • edited May 2010
    well, there are 12 trophies... and getting them is as simple as doing what it says on the tin... (personally, i really didn't need a "guide" as only one really required some thought)

Anyways, I'll give a few words of wisdom on how to attain them

Challenge of the Sphunx (Silver)
    - Completed Monsieur Papierwaite's challenge

Looters of the Lost Toybox (Silver)
    - Successfully raided the Tomb of Sammun-Mak.

Mystery on the Disorient Express (Silver)
    - Foiled an onboard sneak-thief.

Horror Show (Gold)
    - Stop a seriously sinister ceremony.
    These first 4 are awarded for completing the 4 reels of the game, nothing more to it... these are the only 4 that are impossible to miss

Say Hi to the Nice People, Charlie (Bronze)
    - Throw your voice to every available target.
    again, there are lists of people and things you can throw your voice into... just be anal about looking around the 3 sets where you have the dummy, and make sure its the first thing you get in the tomb

Chrono Logic (Bronze)
    - Complete the four reels in sequential order.
    this one isn't very hard either... just work reel 3 untill you have all the clues to solve reels one and two (solve the puzzle with the elves and learn what the secret toy is and about grandpas hatred of Stuttgart) then complete the trail of the sphunx, inside the tomb, the journey home, and the final reward in that order

Nine Lives of Sameth & Maximus (Bronze)
    - See Sameth and/or Maximus die at nine distinct points in the game.
    again there is a list of the nine deaths around

Doppel Fluch (Bronze)
    - Cause German train passenger to be saddled with two curses at the same time.
    for this one, find a way to turn jergen into a vampire BEFORE showing the love letter to benny

Double-Crossed (Bronze)
    - Cause your little buddy to lose both his luck and his rabbithood at the same time.
    another simple one... tease Nefertiti into turning max into a cow while he is under the bad luck whammy curse (for an added bonus, try getting max under all THREE curses avlaible in the tomb at the same time)

Secret Handshake (Bronze)
    - Fool a Yog Soggoth devotee into thinking you’re a member of the Brotherhood.
    this one requires some explaining... first, search jergens compartment to find his shrine in the closet. Second, DO NOT send him to the other train car... Third, solve santas puzzle and get the clue in his trunk... Finally, go back to jergen while he is in his compartment (providing you never sent him to the other car) and ask him about the brotherhood

Curse the Luck
    - Get zapped with fewer than six Mole Curses.
    3 in the tomb, 2 on the train... set everything up so you only need one hit of each curse to complete those reels

Open Wide (Silver)
    - Make it through the Mouth of the Sphunx the first time it opens.
    another simple one... simply have the can, and know how to read hieroglyphics before attempting the trial of the sphunx (also known as, never fail and get sprayed by it)

Hope this helps the PS3 users, and gives the PC users some replayability
  • edited May 2010
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    Doppel Fluch (Bronze)
    - Cause German train passenger to be saddled with two curses at the same time.
    for this one, find a way to turn jergen into a vampire BEFORE showing the love letter to benny

Note that this one is somewhat glitch prone, as in you meet the condition, but don't get the trophy.
    Secret Handshake (Bronze)
    - Fool a Yog Soggoth devotee into thinking you’re a member of the Brotherhood.

And this one was full-on crash-prone for me. After asking Secret Handshake option you get the unescaple dialogue wheel of doom.
    another simple one... tease Nefertiti into turning max into a cow while he is under the bad luck whammy curse (for an added bonus, try getting max under all THREE curses avlaible in the tomb at the same time)
    I'm not sure it'd be possible to have all three since you can only get the cow curse by talking to Nefertiti and you can't do that with the Sexo-Rejexo, which I'm assuming is the challenge of the trophy.
  • edited May 2010
    I just added Trophies section, it looks sloppy and kinda hard to read, but it's there.
  • edited May 2010
    actually you need the can AND knowledge of hieroglyphics before trying the challenge of the sphunx... as getting through the gate without failing is what that trophy is all about

and yeah... the dialogue wheel locked up for me as well after i got the secret handshake trophy, (I had to restart the game to escape it) better call the glitch police! >_>
  • edited May 2010
    better call the glitch police! >_>

there still looking for missingno
  • edited May 2010
    I'm not sure it'd be possible to have all three since you can only get the cow curse by talking to Nefertiti and you can't do that with the Sexo-Rejexo, which I'm assuming is the challenge of the trophy.
    Also I don't get how you can even get to her when with the bad luck curse you just die when you go through the doors of life and death.
  • edited May 2010
    Apparently you can if you use
    the can on the door
  • edited May 2010
    When you throw the bust of Sammun-Mak through one of the doors under the bad luck curse, the mechanism jams.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh? I didn't realise that. Of course I didn't need to since that was the last thing I needed to do in that reel. People have mentioned that the stuff I suggested above happened to them though.
  • edited May 2010
    They do mention you get killed when going back outside, so you have to reload a save though...
  • edited May 2010
    Can't seem to get that Doppel Fluch trophy to work. I've already finished the game twice now. I can't figure out how
    to turn Jurgen into a vampire without giving the love letter to the Moleman first.
    It's driving me crazy.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.