Sam & max 301/302 launch issues

edited June 2010 in Game Support
Hi all, I can't launch 301/302, they both crash on launch. I played a couple of hours of 301 yesterday, which crashed on launch until I disabled my second monitor, and then it ran fine even with the second monitor enabled.

Today, neither will run, even with my second monitor disabled.

Any ideas?

[FYI i'm on the steam version, Win7 64bit, latest nvidia drivers]

Comments

• edited May 2010
    No-one? I've got the non-steam version as well (woo for supporting TTG), but it still doesn't launch. I Tried deleting my preferences, starting it without the second monitor...still crashes on start.

This is really pathetic guys, and I can't see anyone else with this problem...help?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Hey Faemir, I've never seen this problem before, but I'll take a stab at it.

Could you open up your start menu, go to run, and type regedit. Then click on FILE and export. This will create a backup for you just in case. This should bring up your Registry Editor. Then open up HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then software, and then find the Telltale folder and delete the whole Telltale folder.

Then go through and redelete your prefs.prop files and try to boot up the game.
  • edited May 2010
    No luck, still instacrashes :(

DirectX is fully updated too, forgot to mention.
    edited May 2010
    Did your display settings get accidentally set to 16bit instead of 32bit by any chance?
  • edited May 2010
    Nope, displaying at 32bit.
  • edited May 2010
    I just tested episode 102 and it works too, I guess it's only season 3 that doesn't work.
  • edited May 2010
    Okay, Tales of Monkey Island won't either now, but i'm still playing through Sam & Max season 1 happily. ARGH!!

I just tested Sam & Max 202.

So S&M Seasons 1 and 2 work, but ToMI and S&M Season 3 don't. Does that help?
    edited May 2010
    Hrmmmmmmm. The only thing I can think of would be some sort of DirectX or driver issue, but both of those are up to date.... Lemme loop someone else in.
  • edited May 2010
    Oh I also tried the nvidia beta driver, then rolled back to the latest stable as that did nothing. I downloaded the hefty directx feb 2010 update instead of the web installer, and nothing.
    edited May 2010
    Oh! One quick important question. Is it crashing when you press the Play Game button or is it crashing when you double click the game icon?
  • edited May 2010
    When I click play game. The screen goes back and flickers a bit (which a lot of games do a bit though, it's just windows 7 dual monitor sucking), then crashes.
  • edited May 2010
    bump.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited May 2010
    faemir wrote: »
    When I click play game. The screen goes back and flickers a bit (which a lot of games do a bit though, it's just windows 7 dual monitor sucking), then crashes.

Could you post a dxdiag log? Maybe it'll give us some more ideas.

Did you update your audio drivers too?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited June 2010
    Do you have more than one monitor? Try disabling your extra monitor(s), then start the game. Once you're in, you can change the game to windowed mode and re-enable your other monitors.

Here's a thread with the issue on these forums, and here's one on Valve's.
This discussion has been closed.