Game glitch in the Tomb gets you stuck [Spoilers!]

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
Hi, sorry if this has been reported elsewhere but I am avidly avoiding any possible spoilers in this forum right now!

But I thought I should report this slight bug while I still remember it clearly... I'm playing the PC version, don't know if this affects any others.

So I'm the Tomb (on reel 2) and just found Jurgen stuck in the wall. He's pointed out the bust of Sammun Mak.

I exit that conversation, and notice Maximus has somehow found his way to the upper ledge and is walking around up there. (I haven't yet used the sconce so don't know how to get up there myself)

I guess I was experiencing residual effects from Ep1's Future Vision because I pretty much thought, "I wonder, if I use the can o' nuts will it...?" which I tried ... instantly Maximus was back down next to Sameth and the usual animation played out. But immediately after they came back out of the can, suddenly both characters teleported instantly to the upper ledge where the bust is.

Luckily I'd saved the game recently because otherwise I had no way back down! (Having not yet raised the stairs) If I'd just been on autosave, my game would gave been permanently 'bust' from the autosave right after grabbing the bust!

So just thought I'd let TTG know about this, as it looks to me like one of those random things that's hard to find in playtesting.

And I honestly swear I had some kind of unexplainable premonition it was gonna happen. I just knew it, and that made it all the weirder...

Back to the game :)

P.S. Any jobs available for a psychic playtester? Think Minority Report Beta hehehe ;) ...

Comments

• BlitzciBlitzci Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Good catch! If anyone does get autosave-stuck on this bug, there's a way out:

1. On the ledge where you get stuck, walk over to the right, as far as you can go.
    2. Use the Can O Nuts.
    3. Although you'll still be on the upper ledge, you should now be in a camera angle that lets you
    select the sconce that raises the stairs.

And you can certainly apply as a playtester, but you might want to keep the "psychic" thing on the down-low... we've all been a little jumpy about psychic powers ever since Max got his hands on them.
  • edited May 2010
    Catfish33 wrote: »
    Actually, I remember reading in another thread that they're trying to figure this out [i.e. they're working on it]
    Other bug (the bust one).

But surely they do work on all the reel 2 gamebreaking bugs reported so far...
  • edited May 2010
    Other bug (the bust one).

But surely they do work on all the reel 2 gamebreaking bugs reported so far...

*deleted*

That's what I get for not reading the entire OP. LOL

*facepalm*

:o
  • edited May 2010
    Realised afterwards there's a door on the far-right that takes you back down to the stairs by Gramps... or is that shut at that time?
  • edited May 2010
    Blitzci wrote: »
    And you can certainly apply as a playtester, but you might want to keep the "psychic" thing on the down-low... we've all been a little jumpy about psychic powers ever since Max got his hands on them.

Aww, and I thought you of all people would appreciate the merits of psychic powers in life-or-death puzzle solving scenarios.

But to be honest, if I was thinking of moving to the States for a job, I'd probably be applying as a programmer rather than a tester; even then, I'd rather be writing my own games, great as it would be working with all you fine people :)
  • edited May 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    Realised afterwards there's a door on the far-right that takes you back down to the stairs by Gramps... or is that shut at that time?

Oh yeah, I can't remember which side the sconce is on that opens it though.
  • edited May 2010
    Aww, and I thought you of all people would appreciate the merits of psychic powers in life-or-death puzzle solving scenarios.

But to be honest, if I was thinking of moving to the States for a job, I'd probably be applying as a programmer rather than a tester; even then, I'd rather be writing my own games, great as it would be working with all you fine people :)

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I should apply just for the summer, but I don't know if it's full-time only or temporary...? Gotta go back to college in the fall... Wouldn't mind taking the summer off if I knew I'd be testing games for TT... Maybe I'll look into it....

edit: oops sorry for double posting..
  • edited May 2010
    Writing your own game seems rather... unlikely.
    Of course you might get a sleeper hit than Audiosurf, but that's pretty rare.
    Catfish33 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I can't remember which side the sconce is on that opens it though.
    It's on the other side. So it really depends if you hit the lever to open it before getting you up a level wheter you can get out that way.

EDIT:
    I wouldn't mind beta-testing for TTG. Only problem is I am European. Hey, I am jobless anyway, and I like breaking stuff. I am weird like that.
  • edited May 2010
    Writing your own game seems rather... unlikely.

Would seem unlikely, yes. But I've been programming since about 1985 when I first started on the ZX Spectrum, I learned to program by writing really simple games in BASIC. Currently I'm half-way through making a game in XNA, will probably be a year or so before it's finished, but certainly far from unlikely ;)
  • edited May 2010
    I'm kind of late, but I just had to mention this. The same bug happened to me. I did continue from there, I did get autosave, I did get stuck, but I did not ever load an earlier save nor did I use the method posted by blitzci.

Somehow, I walked as near as I could to that area with Sam. Then I switched to Max. When I switched back to Sam, I was back where I should be.

So awesome, that there are two bugs that cancel each other out. :)

I don't know how easy it is to reproduce. But I'd like to say, the Can O' Nuts looks like a solution because you could place it where you want to go, then get sucked into it, then come out. Or at least, in theory you can, but at no point in the game does that happen. :(
Sign in to comment in this discussion.