A Sign of Things to Come?

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
So I noticed that if you do the wrong things in 302, you get "death" scenes. Could that mean we could actually see things like king's quest or space quest from telltale? This game proves that they can come up with them.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I wouldn't put it past them, but the things you get killed for make complete sense, not "You plugged in a toaster, you get electrocuted and die" and it always brings you back to right before it, so maybe more like prince of Persia Sands of Time in adventure format.
  • edited May 2010
    Think Full Throttle - "Let me try that again". It's long been a staple of Lucasarts adventures that you can't get truly stuck or killed, in stark contrast to Sierra's adventures where finding the many gruesome ways to release more of your precious bodily fluids than you could spare was something of a game all by itself (and as for getting stuck - try forgetting to write down the time machine's original setting in Space Quest 4, that was just brutal). Telltale has been carrying on the former tradition and I doubt they're going to change that. Imagine the outrage!

Unless someone's thinking of picking up some of those lovely old Sierra licenses?
  • edited May 2010
    did you have to do something specific to get him to say "Let me try that again"?

in all of the times I have played through what I could of Full Throttle I've never gotten him to say it. of coursed, all I have died was falling off of the bike after being defeated in a fight.
  • edited May 2010
    Helstrom wrote: »
    (and as for getting stuck - try forgetting to write down the time machine's original setting in Space Quest 4, that was just brutal).

Try this: trying to light the firecracker AFTER you already made the baby dragon swallow it, in Discworld. My Sister was PISSED, big time, at me, lol. :o
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    in all of the times I have played through what I could of Full Throttle I've never gotten him to say it. of coursed, all I have died was falling off of the bike after being defeated in a fight.

You can die in plenty of ways during the final puzzle, with all the out of control vehicles blasting down the highway towards the gorge.
  • edited May 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    did you have to do something specific to get him to say "Let me try that again"?

In the endgame sequence of FT, if you screw something up (take too long, etc) you can die. After the death cutscene plays, the screen goes black and Ben says "Damn. Let me try that again" and then you get sent back to do it over.

Edit: Haha, Jake beat me to it I see.
  • edited May 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    You can die in plenty of ways during the final puzzle, with all the out of control vehicles blasting down the highway towards the gorge.

I dont know why I thought the exclerator would help
  • edited May 2010
    King's Quest VII did the same thing though. If you died, you could just start at that same screen before you died. Although the way Sam and Max talk about It reminds me of the way Monkey island 2 Dealt with the acid pit death.
  • edited May 2010
    I have to say that I avoided doing anything that would cause me to die even though I knew I would be able to start over again. I also tried less things I might have tried otherwise in case it ended up killing me.
    Loved the episode, but definitely didn't try stuff I wasn't sure were the solution because of that.

Just sharing my personal opinion. Doesn't mean I wouldn't play the games if you went in that direction of allowing the characters to die in every game, but it would annoy me not being able to try any goofy thing I can think off for fear of getting killed.
  • edited May 2010
    ...So, am I the only one who didn't know what people were talking about for a minute because I didn't even consider them to be "death scenes"?

Seriously, they had the same severity of a slap on the wrist, if that. It felt very much like the Telltale standard "Oopsie, that wasn't it, try again" stuff.
  • edited May 2010
    Somehow, I was sure it would be the case, Dashing :p But I fear nothing short of "making an error will uninstall the game and you'll have to redownload it, reinstall it and replay from the start" would make you happy at this point.

You're like, opposite-me on that issue. There are so many things I didn't even try because I wasn't sure they wouldn't kill me.
    EDIT: also, after we
    got swallowed by the snake
    for trying something other than the obvious solution, I started stressing out every single time there was a time-sensitive thing (or something that seemed like it could be time-sensitive) in case I might end up messing up and getting killed somehow. Once my mouse got kinda stuck and didn't move on the icon I wanted right away and I actually screamed.
    I scared my husband, too.
    So I'll definitely say that this game was pretty stressful. But it was very good for a lot of reasons that made up for that.
  • edited May 2010
    ...So, am I the only one who didn't know what people were talking about for a minute because I didn't even consider them to be "death scenes"?

Seriously, they had the same severity of a slap on the wrist, if that. It felt very much like the Telltale standard "Oopsie, that wasn't it, try again" stuff.

It is about the same severity of dying in a Sierra game and then saying "Oopsie, time to reload my save from 10 seconds ago" too.
  • edited May 2010
    I didn't worry about doing things that would obviously kill Sameth and/or Maximus, because I knew Telltale wouldn't screw us over by having to replay too much. It's just fun to try the option that's obviously the wrong one.
    So just relax, Avistew, and trust Telltale a bit ;)
  • edited May 2010
    I don't think saying "relax" has ever relaxed a person who needed relaxing.

And I trust them. I knew I'd be able to replay if I did things wrong. But it suddenly went from "if you get things wrong nothing will happen and you can start again" to "if you get things wrong PEOPLE WILL DIE BECAUSE OF YOU".

No thanks.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    But it suddenly went from "if you get things wrong nothing will happen and you can start again" to "if you get things wrong PEOPLE WILL TEMPORARILY DIE FOR THREE SECONDS BECAUSE OF YOU and you can start again".

Fixed.
  • edited May 2010
    You can go back in time, but the ones who died died. You're just creating a parallel reality where they don't die when you replay it.
    That's the way I always live these things at least. They did die, in whichever painful way.

Either way, I don't see why I shouldn't be entitled to my feelings. It's not like I'm expecting Telltale to change things based on me. I know they won't. I'm just talking about how it felt to me. It was more stressful to play and I didn't try a lot of things I would have otherwise tried, in other words I didn't enjoy that.
    I'd feel better with wrong paths that don't cause you to die. I was fine with being kicked out of the train for instance because I didn't see that as dying, just being kicked out and being fine, but not being able to continue the story. Things like that wouldn't be a problem I guess.
    Although I felt there were way too many time-sensitive things. That's really what was the most un-nerving. I couldn't try goofing around because felt I always had to do the right thing as fast as possible.
    I'd rather do completely away with time-sensitive things and keep death scenes than the other way around. If you have all the time in the world to think about things, then I guess it really is your fault if you do something absolutely stupid.
    But being pressed by time was what got the best of me (is that the expression? I mean that it drove me crazy). Actually, the part where I screamed, I'm pretty sure there is no way I could have died, and it's even possible that there was no time limit this time (it was when
    you have to use the dummy on the girl to speak to Jurgen
    ) but previous time-sensitive things had just turned me paranoid.
  • edited May 2010
    You can go back in time, but the ones who died died. You're just creating a parallel reality where they don't die when you replay it.
    That's the way I always live these things at least. They did die, in whichever painful way.

You must have horrible problems playing any non-adventure game ever created then, if a character dying upsets you that much that you are afraid to play, because you don't want a fake digital person to die in an alternate reality.
  • edited May 2010
    I can understand. I used to be terrified of game over endings, although dying in games with a lives system was fine. Unless it was drowning...

I'm not anymore, but the deaths in 302 still freaked me out a bit. I had to remind myself that that wasn't what really fictionally happened.
  • edited May 2010
    It's interesting to think that, if Sam hadn't gone to the bathroom and Max's brain hadn't been stolen, they would have been able to try again and save their grandparents from that final death sequence.
  • edited May 2010
    Huh, I hadn't thought of it that way.
  • edited May 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    You must have horrible problems playing any non-adventure game ever created then, if a character dying upsets you that much that you are afraid to play, because you don't want a fake digital person to die in an alternate reality.

I do dislike most non-adventure games :p But really, it's a case of "I wasn't expecting it to happen therefore it's worse".
    Like, I'm arachnophobic, but when I'm outside I'm relatively okay with spiders, because it's "their home", if you will, it's normal for them to be there.
    But if I see one inside it's much, much worse, because I thought I was safe in there, it's my own home, and they got in anyways.

Here it's kind of the same. I thought I was "safe" in a Telltale adventure game and it still happened, so that made it worse.
    But yeah, I rarely enjoy games where you die easily. Most games where you can die, I play in such a way that I never do die, though. Just turn it off if I'm low on health, but I'm so careful that it rarely happens anyways.
  • edited May 2010
    If you're arachnophobic and afraid of death in games, Penumbra Overture is definitely the game for you. :p
  • edited May 2010
    I was kind of half and half on whether I wanted to purposely lead them into a situation where one or both of them would die. Touching the Toybox
    right after the protection curse was set
    ? Sure! Making Sameth
    go through the archway after he had been imbued with the Bad Luck curse
    ? Sure! But generally speaking, I wasn't out looking for every which way Sameth and Maximus could die -- not like I would if I were on the lookout for hilarious throwaway gags which only surface through experimentation. I was too fond of the characters to want to be anything more than a smidgen masochistic. Especially knowing they were going to die anyway, in a way I couldn't prevent.

Actually, I was caught off guard by how their really-for-real deaths hit me, when it happened. I didn't expect to be so ... sad. But I was. It didn't help that the deaths occurred as a result of
    a Terrible Misunderstanding
    , which is one of those storytelling devices that gets under my skin for some reason. Not because it's a bad device in and of itself, but because it frustrates me when such a simple mistake ends up doing so much damage.
    I'd feel better with wrong paths that don't cause you to die. I was fine with being kicked out of the train for instance because I didn't see that as dying, just being kicked out and being fine, but not being able to continue the story. Things like that wouldn't be a problem I guess.

Okay, now I don't feel so bad for pretending that "death" actually led to an alternate ending where they conveniently landed in soft water, sloughed off Papierwaite's "mission" as a bust once they realized there were plenty of things to do in places other than Egypt, and went on to have many more adventures until they retired to Florida at a ripe old age, somehow managing to be menaces to the smartass punks there whilst wielding only a walker, a malfunctioning hearing aide, and sheer nerve.

... Okay, so I'm in denial. I'll have to find something more productive to do with that than writing a long, fanfiction-esque run-on sentence in a forum post. :o
    It's interesting to think that, if Sam hadn't gone to the bathroom and Max's brain hadn't been stolen, they would have been able to try again and save their grandparents from that final death sequence.

I wondered that too. Namely what would have happened if Sam never left the boiler room (in regards to what occurred both within and outside of the film reel).
  • edited May 2010
    Adding to the "time-sensitive is worse than death" thing, I remember being underwater always stressed me out in any kind of game where it was timed, even if you didn't die when it ran out but were forced to come back up or something.

Although... I think most of them did lead to death, even if it was by slowly losing health...
    But I know the fact it was timed was the stressful thing. I want to be able to take my time. Especially in something like an adventure game that's supposed to be about thinking!
  • edited May 2010
    Adding to the "time-sensitive is worse than death" thing, I remember being underwater always stressed me out in any kind of game where it was timed, even if you didn't die when it ran out but were forced to come back up or something.

Although... I think most of them did lead to death, even if it was by slowly losing health...
    But I know the fact it was timed was the stressful thing. I want to be able to take my time. Especially in something like an adventure game that's supposed to be about thinking!

I love things that you have to think of a solution quickly or die. For example, a couple areas in Penumbra Overture, there are monsters chasing you trying to kill you and you have a short amount of time to escape and prevent them from following you or you get slaughtered. It's awesome.
  • edited May 2010
    To each his own, I guess. I play games to relax, not to stress out more :S
  • edited May 2010
    To each his own, I guess. I play games to relax, not to stress out more :S

It's a horror game, it's only fitting to be stressed out and occasionally scared. I wouldn't watch a horror movie that didn't put the characters in mortal danger from time to time.
  • edited May 2010
    I wouldn't watch a horror movie (or play a horror game, for that matter) period :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.