The Season 2 controls stink! Why can't they be more like Season 3??

edited September 2010 in Sam & Max
So I repurchased and downloaded Season 2 now that it's out for Mac (I must have played it on Gametap the first time around).

And it's strange...For all the spitting and gnashing of teeth about the WASD controls in ToMI and Season 3...I miss them!

It was automatically strange to be back to point-and-click. I've played through half of episode 4 (my favourite) and I'm still reaching to move Sam around using the arrow keys. Not only is it like second nature to me now, but *I actually miss direct control*.

So sorry to Mr. Telltale Controller Designer. We're a whiney bunch, and I was one of the whiners about the controls originally. But as is probably clear by now - they're not NEARLY as bad as many people initially reacted. Obviously we're not all the same, and I'm sure there's a handful that hate the WASD with all their heart and soul (if that's true, they need new souls). But I suspect there's even more people like me who've grown to actually prefer it.

It's strange, too, as when I go back to play older point+click games, I don't have this instinct. But it's become engrained for the 3d adventures, I guess.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Going back from season 3 to season 2 didn't bother me too much, but going back from season 2 to season 1 really bothered me, simply because I missed being able to run.
  • edited May 2010
    Yeah, not being able to run in Season 1 is annoying.
    I still keep trying to move by clicking on stuff in Season 3, though, and running into walls and getting stuck between screen when using direct control. I doubt I'll ever find it superior to point and click although I'm sincerely hoping I'll get used to it someday.
    It's already a lot better than for ToMI though.
  • edited May 2010
    the season 3 controls stink! why can't the be more like season 2??

urgh, i wish i could adapt as well as manyothers, but i still hate direct control and repeatedly scream out in frustration because of them.
    I get stuck everywhere, my left hand is never there for the occasions i need to move (weeell it's a minor inconvinience, but still annoying), and using the virtual analog stick is harder and my mouse keeps moving out to my second screen, ending up forcing the game to minimize.

i really don't feel that this has added anything at all to the game (in fact to me things like some camera angles and such have been worse in the new season). but ultimately it's Telltales decision and if they think it's better this way and it really seems that many people like it more, then i just have to get used to this. (giving up on telltale games just isn't an option ;) )
  • edited May 2010
    I dunno, I thought the Tomb was really cool, though slightly difficult to navigate.
  • edited May 2010
    I played The Whispered World before this, and I kept trying to bring up a 'coin', like how CMI does it, if you're not familiar with TWW. Got annoying after a little bit. =P
    But yeah, I never noticed how many clicks it takes to get to the other side of the screen in SM1&2 until after the fluency of click'n'dragging.
  • edited May 2010
    I was not happy with the controls at the start oof the first game that had them but after completing fright of the bumblebees I just wished every TTG-Episode had these controls. When I go back to the Point & Click games I always have problems with navigating. I constantly misclick a spot and Sam or Strong Bad move across the screen trying to click again while the characters are moving just makes it worse. I misclick even more often ending in an almost endless line of Sam moving to places I never intended him to go. Those problems are completely gone with the new controls. I just love my arrowkeys.
  • edited September 2010
    Ripcord wrote: »
    So I repurchased and downloaded Season 2 now that it's out for Mac (I must have played it on Gametap the first time around).

And it's strange...For all the spitting and gnashing of teeth about the WASD controls in ToMI and Season 3...I miss them!

It was automatically strange to be back to point-and-click. I've played through half of episode 4 (my favourite) and I'm still reaching to move Sam around using the arrow keys. Not only is it like second nature to me now, but *I actually miss direct control*.

So sorry to Mr. Telltale Controller Designer. We're a whiney bunch, and I was one of the whiners about the controls originally. But as is probably clear by now - they're not NEARLY as bad as many people initially reacted. Obviously we're not all the same, and I'm sure there's a handful that hate the WASD with all their heart and soul (if that's true, they need new souls). But I suspect there's even more people like me who've grown to actually prefer it.

It's strange, too, as when I go back to play older point+click games, I don't have this instinct. But it's become engrained for the 3d adventures, I guess.

The same thing happened to me when i first played wallace and gromit, only i was so used to pressing shift to run that i kept pressing it and bringing the inventory up by accident a lot, i finally kicked the habit the 3rd time playing it. Also in sam and max season 1 do you know of any way to make sam run, like a patch or something, as its tedious walking everywhere, takes a long time, and its the series with the most walking involved.
  • edited September 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Yeah, not being able to run in Season 1 is annoying.
    I still keep trying to move by clicking on stuff in Season 3, though, and running into walls and getting stuck between screen when using direct control. I doubt I'll ever find it superior to point and click although I'm sincerely hoping I'll get used to it someday.
    It's already a lot better than for ToMI though.

I never knew you could use the keyboard to run in the penal zone and coincidentally moved around by clicing on hotspots, like harry mole man, and the mind reading cards, you know you don't even need the controls in the intro, but then i got stuck after the intro, i don't remember when, i still got quite far tho by point and clicking. I would love to run in season 1 tho and would love to find a patch for it, can't they add WASP controls to season 1 and 2? surely all they'd need to do is let you download an updated version or something, with only the exe file accessible.
  • edited September 2010
    For the XBLA version, they added running in Sam & Max Season 1 the same way you run in Season 2.
  • edited September 2010
    For the XBLA and the Wii versions, they added running in Sam & Max Season 1 the same way you run in Season 2.

^Fixed.^
  • edited September 2010
    Fixed.

you mean its fixed for the pc version? where can i get the patch?
  • edited September 2010
    you mean its fixed for the pc version? where can i get the patch?

I meant that I fixed his post, sorry.
  • edited September 2010
    ^Fixed.^

i never understood what you meant at the time, i do now, and i was only joking, i know there is no patch out for the pc.
  • edited September 2010
    I'm prety sure there are some unofficial patches that allow you to run.
  • edited September 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    I'm prety sure there are some unofficial patches that allow you to run.

i was hoping there was, so i tried searching but couldn't find anything, do you know any sites i might find some?
  • edited September 2010
    Because Telltale didn't have future vision in the past seeing themself making better controls for a Sam & Max Season 3 in their future which is now our present. God, i feel like Doc Brown...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.