What is your favourite Musical Number?

edited May 2010 in Sam & Max
Personally, I like The War Song, Good For You (Good For Me), I just can't get that out of my head.

Comments

• edited May 2010
    in b4 "The Toybox Song".
  • edited May 2010
    Useful to Boot is my favorite, though the Ted E. Bear song gets stuck in my head real easy.
  • edited May 2010
    La Canción de los Mariachis
  • edited May 2010
    Falanca is right, the poll is missing the toybox musical number from 301. Why is that?
  • edited May 2010
    It's gotta be the war song, it's still yet to be topped in terms of sheer spectacle. Second would come Useful to Boot because it cracks me up
  • edited May 2010
    caeska wrote: »
    Falanca is right, the poll is missing the toybox musical number from 301. Why is that?

The Sam & Max wiki does not class it as a legit musical number.
  • edited May 2010
    Good for You(Good for Me) wins for the "choreography", the dance and sets are just...amazing. My sides were splitting at how it came out of nowhere, at how extravagant it was. I don't know how much work went on behind the scenes in creating that number, but it's greatly appreciated. I like the song La Canción De Los Mariachis just as much, if not more, but it just doesn't match the visual delight of the Season One masterpiece.
  • edited May 2010
    Hatley wrote: »
    The Sam & Max wiki does not class it as a legit musical number.

If the banjo song is going to be classified as a "musical number", there's no reason to not include the song the mole people have been working hard for 6000 years to make.
  • edited May 2010
    I recognise most of these but im not sure where some of them came from - can anybody write which episode they are all from?
  • edited May 2010
    i never heard that song
  • edited May 2010
    tabstis wrote: »
    I recognise most of these but im not sure where some of them came from - can anybody write which episode they are all from?

More Than Jerks-Culture Shock
    Sam's Banjo Song-Situation:Comedy
    Just You And Me (And Ted E. Bear)-The Mole, The Mob and The Meatball
    Good For You (Good For Me)-Abe Lincoln Must Die
    Useful To Boot-Reality 2.0
    World of Max-Bright Side of The Moon
    The Friendly Demon Song-Ice Station Santa
    Rapa Nui Choo Choo-Moai Better Blues
    La Canción De Los Mariachis-Chariots of The Dogs
  • edited May 2010
    Can we really consider More than Jerks to be a musical number? Isn't it just a credits song? I mean, World of Max counts because it has visual elements unique to the song, but More than jerks only has the standard Sam and Max driving credits bit, right?
  • edited May 2010
    Can we really consider More than Jerks to be a musical number? Isn't it just a credits song? I mean, World of Max counts because it has visual elements unique to the song, but More than jerks only has the standard Sam and Max driving credits bit, right?

I'm pretty sure More Than Jerks also plays when you chase Whizzer after un-hypnotising him.
  • edited May 2010
    I think I managed to get through 301 without hearing a musical number :S what are you guys referring to?
  • edited May 2010
    Hatley wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure More Than Jerks also plays when you chase Whizzer after un-hypnotising him.
    Ah, right, but it didn't have any dance or special visual elements. I think a musical number can't be, um, background music.
  • edited May 2010
    I think I managed to get through 301 without hearing a musical number :S what are you guys referring to?

You kinda get a musical number if you ask the strange molemen about the Toybox.
  • edited May 2010

Whizzer sings it if you ask him enough times.

I chose The World of Max, I love that song.
  • edited May 2010
    The Midtown Cowboys Themesong
    Just You And Me (And Ted E. Bear)
    World Of Max
    New Location Unlocked (Midtown Remix)
  • edited May 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    The MIdtown Cowboys Themesong
    This has been the ringtone on my phone for ages. No plans to change it, either. Still cracks me up.
  • edited May 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    This has been the ringtone on my phone for ages. No plans to change it, either. Still cracks me up.

If I had one of those useless things this would be my ringtone too.
  • edited May 2010
    New Location Unlocked...
  • edited May 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    in b4 "The Toybox Song".

...I was going to say that. ;_;

Fine, fine, fine. Good for You (Good for Me) is almost as good as The Toybox Song.
  • edited May 2010
    Nothing beats the supreme audiological gravy that is World of Max.

Though I might hesitate to really call it a musical number.
  • edited May 2010
    I hate World of Max.
    I know most people really like it, but I don't. Most of it is too slow and makes me want to fast forward it, and the rest is too fast and makes me want to slow it down. As a result I don't understand any of the lyrics (I forget the beginning of the slow ones before it reaches the end, and the fast one are just too fast to get).

Plus I don't like the way Jared's voice sounds in it. At all.
    It's my least favourite song of all the Sam&Max ones.
  • edited May 2010
    I looove World of Max.
    I chose it, and Good For You.
  • edited May 2010
    If World of Max stayed in the loungey style that it starts off with, then I would love it much more. The Mariachi song takes the prize for me, though, since it's one of my favorite things to pull out of context. The Toy Box Song gets an honorable mention, though.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I hate World of Max.
    I know most people really like it, but I don't. Most of it is too slow and makes me want to fast forward it, and the rest is too fast and makes me want to slow it down. As a result I don't understand any of the lyrics (I forget the beginning of the slow ones before it reaches the end, and the fast one are just too fast to get).

Do you think it may be partially a language thing for you? Do you think you might enjoy it more if you had a transcription of the lyrics in front of you as you listened to it?
  • edited May 2010
    Do you think it may be partially a language thing for you? Do you think you might enjoy it more if you had a transcription of the lyrics in front of you as you listened to it?

I found a transcription, but it was pretty much the same thing, that is, too long to wait for him to say the slow parts while I was reading them, too fast to follow with the transcript in the fast parts.

I think I'd probably be okay if it was all done fast, though, it's really the slow bits I don't like.
  • edited May 2010
    I hate World of Max.

I see you are from Stuttgart and you cut the cucumber lengthwise.

I adore this song. The lyrics, the style, the 2 different tempos, the voice of Jared... everything is just perfect.
  • edited May 2010
    I see you are from Stuttgart and you cut the cucumber lengthwise.

:eek: I've been found out!
  • edited May 2010
    I love World of Max, and The War Song.

Season 2 was a dud there were no good songs, it needed more umph and less "recycle the old locations". But I did
    like the Mariachi Song. That's it.
  • edited May 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Season 2 was a dud there were no good songs, it needed more umph and less "recycle the old locations". But I did like the Mariachi Song. That's it.

Seriously? "El Molcajete De Almas," "Fugue And Dies Irae," "Twilight Eternal," and "Jurgen's Lair Suite" and none of those tickled your fancy? Only low point I found was maybe 202.
  • edited May 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Seriously? "El Molcajete De Almas," "Fugue And Dies Irae," "Twilight Eternal," and "Jurgen's Lair Suite" and none of those tickled your fancy? Only low point I found was maybe 202.

Erm, if I'm not mistaken, none of these are songs. I mean, it's not a song if there is no singing, it's just a tune/music.

I did miss songs in Season 2, it seemed pretty much each episode in Season 1 had one, and in Season 2 there was what, the demon song and the mariachi song?
  • edited May 2010
    Erm, if I'm not mistaken, none of these are songs. I mean, it's not a song if there is no singing, it's just a tune/music.
    Right and still Rapa Nui is on this list.
    I did miss songs in Season 2, it seemed pretty much each episode in Season 1 had one, and in Season 2 there was what, the demon song and the mariachi song?
    Every episode in Season one had at least one.

101: More Than Jerks
    102: Midtown Cowboys & Sam's Song
    103: Just You And Me (and Ted E. Bear)
    104 Good For You (Good For ME)
    105: Useful To Boot
    106: World Of Max

And yes I also missed those in Season 2. But Season 2 had the better background music.
    Arctic Hush, Unholy Workshop, Woo!, New Location Unlocked (Midtown Remix), Silent Shootout, Radical!, La Oficina del Futuro, Fugue and Dies Iræ, Grotesque Burlesque...
  • edited May 2010
    Right and still Rapa Nui is on this list.

Yes, but the poll didn't mention "songs" but "musical numbers". I was just pointing out that the music Avel listed as "songs" wasn't.
    And yes I also missed those in Season 2. But Season 2 had the better background music.
    Arctic Hush, Unholy Workshop, Woo!, New Location Unlocked (Midtown Remix), Silent Shootout, Radical!, La Oficina del Futuro, Fugue and Dies Iræ, Grotesque Burlesque...

That's possible, but these are just names to me and I can't really think of the tune when I read the name. And I'm not sure I'd recognise it either. With background music, honestly I don't even realise it's there. Which I guess is the point anyway.
  • edited May 2010

The 'less recycle the old locations' line led me to believe that it was more about the music period since the recycling was with the Street and Office themes. Unless the jukebox in season 2 somehow makes it so...

Also:
    El Molcajete De Almas: the background music in the soul sucking room in 204.
    Fugue And Dies Irae: the background music in Sam and Max's soul storage room in 205.
    Twilight Eternal: the soul train theme from 205.
    Jurgen's Lair Suite; everything that plays in Jurgen's room in 203.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks :) I ordered the Season 1 + 2 soundtracks with my ToMI DVD so I'll have the opportunity to listen to them with more attention.
  • edited May 2010
    i don't think there was barely any reused music in episode 302, based on my results on the music extractor! that's good, because after the 80 track or so galore of the season 1 soundtrack, i was really disappointed by season 2's, not because of the music, but the fact that there wasn't as much of it!
  • edited May 2010
    but the fact that there wasn't as much of it!

There is much but they are noticeably longer.

@Avistew: Good choice on the soundtracks. They are both amazing.
  • edited May 2010
    Considering the overall presentation and style, nothing can beat "Good For You". In fact after playing 104 for free over steam, the war song was one main reason for me to buy the whole season.

But if I just consider the "mind-stickiness" I would definitely vote for "Just You And Me".
Sign in to comment in this discussion.