Sam and Max runs fine, the first time, but...

edited December 2006 in Game Support
My problem is a particularly weird one... Now, my computer uses a Radeon chipset (full stats below), but it's not a graphics glitch.

The first time or two I run the game, it runs just fine. But the second time, it crashes upon starting. At first, I got two error messages...

The instruction at "0x7e1f9af3" referenced memory at "0x7dc48950". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

and in a seperate "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" window, I'd get...

Runtime Error!

Program: ...& Max - Culture Shock Data\Sam & Max - Culture Shock.exe

R6025
- pure virtual function call

Reading reports on here, I downloaded the latest Radeon drivers and reinstalled the game entirely from scratch. It ran just fine, the first time.

And then the second time I tried running it (and every time since), I get the standard Windows XP "there's been an error and the program must close" message during the opening logo screens, and are then given the second error message I mentioned above (the C++ Runtime Library error). If the game is set to full-screen, it will crash entirely at that point.

If I delete prefs.prop to set it to run in a window, then the program will actually continue to run normally underneath until I acknowledge the generic Windows error message. I've learned through experimentation that if I set it to full-screen at that point, it will be full-screened with the error window behind it and I can more or less play the game normally. I could theoretically continue to play the game this way, but for obvious reasons I'd rather report the problem and find if there's a way to fix it.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+, 2.39GHz
Radeon XPress 200 chipset
RAM: 960MB of RAM

Now, it's possible that because my computer is out of the box without a 'proper' video card (and to keep things in perspective, I've never quite had a head for the intricacies of hardware), but graphics-wise the game works perfectly. The only problem is something that pops up when I try starting it.
This discussion has been closed.