Sam & Max 203 on Mac: black screen

edited September 2010 in Game Support
Hi,

Played through the first two episodes of Sam & Max Season 2 on Mac without problems, now installed the third episode which launches into a black screen but with the audio playing (from the sound of it, the intro runs through just fine). I tried copying the prefs file from ep 202 but that didn't help. Haven't had any problems with Season 3. Any suggestions?

My setup: MacBook Pro 2.26 GHz w/ NVidia GeForce 9400M.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Hey Joonas, could you try booting it one more time?
  • edited June 2010
    Well, what do you know, third time's the charm.

All glory to Will's psychic tech support skills!
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw the same thing happen for 4 and 5 the first time you boot up. CMD-Q out of the game and then boot it up again and it should work. It's a nasty bug I'm trying to get cleaned up, sorry!
  • edited June 2010
    I had the same problem the first time I started up 204 from Steam. the screen was black but I could hear the intro playing so I quit and restarted. now every time I open the game my mouse (and my usb gaming mouse) stop working, the cursor just sticks in the top left corner, and while I can use the arrow keys (and the ' key for some reason) to navigate the main menu, I can't select any of the choices (new game, options, save/load) no matter what I do. I end up having to manually quit the program. I tried deleting the game and reinstalling it but it changed nothing. I also had a heck of a time searching these forums for this error, as sam, max, and 204 are all too short to search for...
    edited June 2010
    Don't delete the game, just open it up a second time and it should clear up for you. Also, I hate the search function on the forums, it's absolutely worthless. One of these days we will get a free moment to update the BB code.
  • edited June 2010
    Trust me, I've tried opening the game over and over, and either I get the frozen menu and I have to command+Q to get out, or it fails before the game even launches. attached is an error report from when the game crashes, and my system specs. the real problem, the frozen menu, doesn't crash the game so my computer doesn't create an error report, but I hope this can be of some help.
    edited June 2010
    Oh. Hrm. Every other time it's just been the screen overlay issue. Sorry about that! Ok, so just to clarify a few things, this only happens on 204? The rest of your episodes are fine?

Could you try going to Library\Preferences\ and delete the com.apple.telltale files? If you can find the 204 file, you can probably just delete that one. Does that affect anything?
  • edited September 2010
    It took me awhile to find this thread.

I've been having the exact same problem Padalock was having only it's with all the episodes.

I'm running Season 2 on Steam and Episode 201 worked perfectly! I played it for about an hour and a half and then the next time I started it up again it went to the loading screen and got stuck there (mouse trapped in left hand corner).

I attempted to play Episode 202 next. It loaded with a black screen but I could hear audio. I heard about this before so I quit and then restarted it and I got the loading screen freeze again.

I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics chip.

Any ideas? Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.