Stron Bad Ep3 Random Crashes - DLL Error

This might be an issue with my computer (I've recently acquired it), but I have an issue so far with SB episode 3 only. It seems that after about 5-10 minutes of gameplay the game crashes spitting out a DLL error message of some kind. At first I thought it might be because I was running it through Steam as a non-Steam game shortcut so I can keep the Steam overlay (even though it never did that before on my old computer) so I ran it Steamless and it still crashes.

I tried running another TTG game (S&M 201) but no crash so far and I've been playing for a while. Is it a possibility this could be the result of bad RAM? I've gotten some crashes on some Source engine games saying it can't read memory and while some say it's because of bad RAM, officially it's for other reasons. The reason I'm saying this is because I want to see if I can rule out my bad RAM altogether.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Bad RAM wouldn't give DLL errors, I think.
    Maybe the install got corrupted, and didn't copy all the required DLLs over. Did you try reinstalling?
    Also, what's the exact error message?
  • edited June 2010
    It was a Windows error not a game error. It just said that the problem was in the game exec. And mentioned DLL in there. Didn't mention a specific DLL file...I'm running it again as I type and it hasn't crashed yet....this is after a system shutdown. So maybe it was an isolated incident? I'll keep you informed.
  • edited June 2010
    Ok, it just happened again. Seems to be randomly when certain events are triggered.

Here's the Windows error:

"DLL has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

And then says "Please tell Microsoft about this problem" below. I can view nonsensical technical data that tells me nothing other than the problem occurred in "Homestar103.exe"

I'll try reinstalling the game.

EDIT: Whoa! Just tried it one more time to get up to certain point again so I could save and lo and behold Bubs had no eyes!
  • edited June 2010
    I've been playing for quite a while now and I think it's been solved. Originally I had copied over my old save games from a backup disk and it must have been every time it tried to autosave that it crashed. Maybe my auto save file was corrupt or something or right-protected. Either way I deleted it before I reinstalled and now I'm not running into any crashes.
This discussion has been closed.