Tales of Monkey Island DVD Install

edited July 2010 in Game Support
Today I received my Tales of Monkey Island DVD. I tried to install it on my PC Laptop and all I get is this very loud buzzing sound in the disk drive when it tries to load and I am unable to install the program. All the other Telltale game (i.e. Sam & Max, Strong Bad) disks work fine when I install them. I can't seem to find what the problem is. Is it a bad disk? I know I am putting the disk in right in the DVD drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated!:confused:

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Try another computer or CD drive?
  • edited June 2010
    I don't have another computer I can use!:(
  • edited June 2010
    Nevermind, I got it to work!:)
  • edited June 2010
    How?

Someone else might get the same problem, maybe we'll be able to help him.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, I decided to give it one more try and it was a LONG installation process. For some reason, during the whole installation process my DVD drive was vibrating and making a loud grinding sound like a plane engine. I kept looking at the progress bar during the installation and it kept moving slowly. After it finished downloading, the noise completely stopped, it was the weirdest thing.
    No problem with playing with Tales of Monkey Island, but if you put the disk back into the drive it makes that same buzzing sound again. Really Strange!:confused:
  • edited June 2010
    Well you're not the first to report that noise..

Either the DVDs are of low quality enough to mess up that big, or both of you have some bad drives (well, not necessarily BAD, but something's definitely not working between the disc and the drive).
  • edited June 2010
    It is most likely the drive. A lot of the cheaper drives are noisy and spin the disc at the fastest setting and have problems reading the disc. Lite-On, LG, and some other drives have this problem. Older drives were smart enough to spin down the disc and read it at a slower rate. Why manufacturers are spinning at max speed now is beyond me. Especially if it causes problems.

How I wish we still had 4X and 8X CD drive read rates. They were quiet and accurate in reading discs.
  • edited June 2010
    Wile_E wrote: »
    It is most likely the drive. A lot of the cheaper drives are noisy and spin the disc at the fastest setting and have problems reading the disc. Lite-On, LG, and some other drives have this problem. Older drives were smart enough to spin down the disc and read it at a slower rate. Why manufacturers are spinning at max speed now is beyond me. Especially if it causes problems.

How I wish we still had 4X and 8X CD drive read rates. They were quiet and accurate in reading discs.
    or atleast have the option to adjust the speed of the reading
  • me7me7
    edited June 2010
    @Wile_E, mightypiratetm: do you have the dvd and does it work normal for you?

I got my dvd today and tried it in the two drives I own. One of them reads the dvd very slow, opening a picture from the gallery folder takes >10 seconds, starting the launcher takes >one minute. The other drive has no speed issues (at least at first glance) but sounds like a saw while reading the disc. I own a launch X360 with a very loud fan and dvd-drive, but the sounds that ToMI produces in my drive surprise even me.

With my limited knowledge about drives, I suspect that the drive is getting a lot of read errors from the disc and is seeking like crazy to collect error correction data and reconstruct the files.
  • edited June 2010
    I got this problem too, one of my drives doesn't open the dvd at all and the other has a demented fit every time I put the dvd in. Hopefully I'll get it to work soon.
  • edited June 2010
    It begs to ask what duplicate company TT uses, and if they use HQ discs!

My DVD is on its way, and if it fails/chuggers on all 4 PC's, then it has to be the quality of disc.
  • edited June 2010
    My DVD drive that is old and a little picky on DVDs has no problem with the disc once it loaded it for the first time.
  • edited July 2010
    Got my deluxe version today and while the install runs normally, the buzzing is driving me nuts. It starts happening when I open the disc and will not stop.
  • edited July 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    Got my deluxe version today and while the install runs normally, the buzzing is driving me nuts. It starts happening when I open the disc and will not stop.

you can copy all the extra stuff to your comp so you wont need the disc in there
  • edited July 2010
    NeatNit wrote: »
    Well you're not the first to report that noise..

Either the DVDs are of low quality enough to mess up that big, or both of you have some bad drives (well, not necessarily BAD, but something's definitely not working between the disc and the drive).
    Well, mine made a similair noise (only for a second , just after i put it in), and my drive is pretty decent (heck, it plays Blu-rays!).
  • edited July 2010
    Probably the discs are not very balanced; which causes them to vibe in the drive (which cause noise, and if the spin is too fast (over 16x) may also cause data reading error); the oldies had the "slow down until it works well" feature, but now it's unusual to find a drive with this function.

Disc unbalanced unfortunately are a problem that will never vanish (until someone can create an error-free optical discs production line).
  • edited July 2010
    Disc unbalanced unfortunately are a problem that will never vanish (until someone can create an error-free optical discs production line).

Or we move to a system that doesn't rely on spinning discs, like holographic storage cubes.
  • edited July 2010
    mateo360 wrote: »
    Like I wrote in another thread - try CD Throttle, it allows you to slow down your drive to keep the noise down...

np: Pawel - Muscles (Pawel)
This discussion has been closed.