Tales of Monkey Island DVD Doesn't work

edited August 2010 in Game Support
My dad finally received the Tales of Monkey Island DVD and installed everything. When he launches the game he has the gallery, video, wallpaper etc on the left and the 5 stages on the right.

When he selects 'launch of the screaming narwhal' the standard Windows error message pops up with the option to send error report to Microsoft.

All other games seem to work fine but are very dark (not really concerned about this at the moment but it will need to be sorted out).

His machine is running XP and meets the minimum requirements.

Please help as he's waited about 4 months for the DVD to be delivered!

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Anyone?
  • edited July 2010
    Jon-Paul wrote: »
    His machine is running XP and meets the minimum requirements.

This concerns me. Do you have his system specs handy? I'm wondering if he has an onboard video chip, and if it even supports the minimum DirectX (8.1).
  • edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    This concerns me. Do you have his system specs handy? I'm wondering if he has an onboard video chip, and if it even supports the minimum DirectX (8.1).

If you don't, click start>Run, and then type in "dxdiag" and press enter.
  • edited July 2010
    Hi, sorry for not getting back to you sooner only I've been really busy.

The graphics card is a 128mb Geforce Ti 4200 AGP 8x which should definitely support DX 8.1 (HL2 was fine!). The OS is XP 32 bit but he only has 512mb installed (we're buying 2 gig today as we need that for something else).

The other chapters work fine, it's just the first one that doesn't work properly.

If you need any other info then let me know. Ta.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh, the graphics drivers are all up to date too.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    The graphics card is a 128mb Geforce Ti 4200 AGP 8x which should definitely support DX 8.1 (HL2 was fine!).

It's a known issue with that card. I don't know a solution though except using another graphics card.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok thanks, although that page doesn't mention a crash like I'm getting. So I assume that you will release a patch or give me a refund?

I don't imagine you'd give compensation for the time taken to first get the game delivered and then the hassle of sorting this out (which has been months in total). We'd settle for an AGP graphics card that works.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok thanks, although that page doesn't mention a crash like I'm getting. So I assume that you will release a patch or give me a refund?

I don't imagine you'd give compensation for the time taken to first get the game delivered and then the hassle of sorting this out (which has been months in total). We'd settle for an AGP graphics card that works.

I don't think that will happen.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2010

I was refering to the "darkness". I thought you meant the missing Graphics, like the main menu and the inventory? Can you see them in the working episodes? In that case it might be worth looking further into it.

The error message might be a different issue, like interfering security software. You can try a clean boot in that case. You can also try the Download Version of that episode.

I can further take a look at your dxdiag log.

For a refund you would have to contact TTG via support@telltalegames.com

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.

Booting clean in Windows XP:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah I know they won't send us a graphics card or anything. All I got from them is their apologies.

Will have to see my dad if he wants to spend any more time on this. If he does, I'll post the dxdiag and try the clean boot (although I doubt that will work).

It's probably going to be easier to just get a refund.
This discussion has been closed.