A Mistake in 303? (spoilers)

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Ok so Sammun-mak's brain was preserved and that is why most of the episode plays out. But the Egyptains considered the brain the most useless organ in the body (they believed the Heart was the seat of knowledge) and after using a tool (like the brain screw) to remove one from a soon to be mummified corpse they threw it out. So how could Sammun-mak know he would need his brain and how did the moles knew to take it out?

Also where was that cool scene from 301 (I'm not gonna rest until I find the guy who killed my partner!)?

Comments

• edited June 2010
    It was probably thought to be the source of the psychic power
  • edited June 2010
    He was a psychic pharaoh who was worshiped by molepeople, they weren't going for historical accuracy. He speaks English with a vaguely British accent, too, that would also be unlikely. Not to mention talking dog, lagomorph, cockroach and space gorillas.
  • edited June 2010
    Sammun-Mak says something about instructing his servants on how to treat his brain when he died. By this logic, we can assume that they received similar instructions for the rest of his body.

Also consider that they were likely brainwashed as well, so they would not have disobeyed despite religion or tradition.
  • edited June 2010
    Fecking double post.
  • edited June 2010
    You have a disembodied, talking lagomorph's brain in a jar on the back of a 6 foot tall talking dog in a suit along with a race of mole people and a giant cockroach security guard and Egyptians not keeping brains preserved is the greatest worry?

I do believe your suspension of disbelief needs servicing.

Edit: Slow posting.
    Omegabegin wrote: »
    Sammun-Mak says something about instructing his servants on how to treat his brain when he died. By this logic, we can assume that they received similar instructions for the rest of his body.

Didn't he state that that (pickle juice and crocodile tears) was joke and that the gift kept his brain alive?
    Lena_P wrote: »
    He was a psychic pharaoh who was worshiped by molepeople...

From the sound of it, the mole people were the rebels in the affair as well as food sometimes.
  • edited June 2010
    Sorry, that just stuck out at me.
  • edited June 2010
    Omegabegin wrote: »

Also consider that they were likely brainwashed as well, so they would not have disobeyed despite religion or tradition.
    The Ancient Egyptian religion was that the pharaoh was a god so what he said goes. Even if he says "We're monotheistic now, so get rid of all those other, rubbish priesthoods and set up a brand new city to the One, True Deity, Aten!" So Sammun-Mak could do what he liked with his brain, no questions asked.
  • edited June 2010
    Avel wrote: »
    Didn't he state that that (pickle juice and crocodile tears) was joke and that the gift kept his brain alive?

Yes, but they likely still would have thrown out the brain if he hadn't given them specific instructions for it. Foresight or not, that probably saved him :rolleyes:
  • edited June 2010
    What amazes me, though, is that Sam was able to
    remove the brain with a twisty metal pole through the nose without virtually any damage. Sam is good!
  • edited June 2010
    Psychonauts, anybody?
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, but Psychonauts was completely different. Sam is no dentist, let alone a mentally unbalanced one.
  • edited June 2010
    This thread confuses me. It's a talking rabbit and a dog with a gun.
  • edited June 2010
    So says the monkey.
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    So says the monkey.

I know. Now I'm even more confused :confused:
  • edited June 2010
    richforce wrote: »
    ok so sammun-mak's brain was preserved and that is why most of the episode plays out. But the egyptains considered the brain the most useless organ in the body (they believed the heart was the seat of knowledge) and after using a tool (like the brain screw) to remove one from a soon to be mummified corpse they threw it out. So how could sammun-mak know he would need his brain and how did the moles knew to take it out?

AHHHH! Giant Talking Dog!
    Also where was that cool scene from 301 (i'm not gonna rest until i find the guy who killed my partner!)?

...I'm going to put my money on, "Innnnnnnnn The Fuuuuutuuuuuuure!..."; since that scene came from the Eyes of Yog Soggoth...
  • edited June 2010
    I disagree with the people showing how absurd the rest of the game is to imply that mistakes in story telling can be ignored. Space gorilla is fine - we don't know what's out there in space. Giant talking dogs and cockroaches are fine - some sort of mutation could cover that. Keeping a brain in a jar is fine, etc... but having a claim about the egyptians which doesn't make sense with how the egyptians acted wouldn't be fine.
    No matter how wild a story is it should still make sense. That being said, there is no mistake here. As flyingman said, it's quite plausible that they saw the brain as the root of psychic power.
  • edited June 2010
    Sammun-mak acknowledged the potential plot hole by stating that he gave special instructions for how his special brain should be preserved. This implies that (probably because of gift/curse) he was aware that the power came from his brain, contrary to what other Egyptians may have believed at the time. He also said he was able to keep his brain alive using his powers, so even if it had been turned to goo, he'd be able to reconstruct it himself over time (maybe).

See, all it takes is a little imagination to fill in the gaps.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.