OP and ED are shallow

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
During the 2nd season of S&M and the Tales of Monkey Island series, the opening and ending credit sequences of each episode was different, new, related to the episode!

In the 3rd season of S&M, it feels like the OP and ED credit sequences are not a part of the game anymore, and begins to be boring to watch.

Please do something original to the OP and ED, something that will make me watch them and feel the same way as we felt while watching Murry's ending from ToMI.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here. Are you talking about the credit sequences that bookend each episode or the narrator's opening and closing sequences?
  • edited June 2010
    If you are talking about the credit sequences I personally love the opening credits for season 3. It makes it feel like some kind of cheesy buddy-cop TV show, which is awesome. The ending credits are pretty bland, but oh well.
  • edited June 2010
    Oh, i'm not talking about the narrator parts, I really like those,

I'm talking only about the credit sequences.
  • edited June 2010
    Amaterasu wrote: »
    Oh, i'm not talking about the narrator parts, I really like those,

I'm talking only about the credit sequences.

Then I have to disagree with your premise that "the 2nd season of S&M and the Tales of Monkey Island series, the opening and ending credit sequences of each episode was different, new, related to the episode" since S2 used the same opening credit sequence each time (give or take something to shoot) and I don't recall ToMI having any opening credit sequence at all past a title card. I'll go with you on the ending, I kinda miss the individualized (musically at least) ending credits, but, the way they've done it, it fits with the TV show aesthetic that Telltale seems to be going for.
  • edited June 2010
    Well, Sam and Max season 2 only added a new target to shoot. I was expecting a colour change. Maybe like the first two seasons, maybe we'll get special end of season credits? Not a song, but just different music and pictures from season 3?
    Monkey island didn't have openings, just credits over cutscenes. Which was alright. Anyway, one thing I though would be good was if in episode 302 that the opening had Sammeth and Maximus in similar car, or just completely different opening. Not sure how it would work for the rest of the season though. Oh Well.
  • edited June 2010
    For 303 it would have been cool to put the opening in the middle of the episode, with
    the brain in a jar instead of Max
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, season 2 had different openings for each episode before the car and shooting stuff.

So, yeah...
  • edited June 2010
    The intro is fine. It's the outro that disappoints me. I want a lyrical song in this season! Somewhere! ::cries:: ;(
  • edited June 2010
    Actually, season 2 had different openings for each episode before the car and shooting stuff.

So, yeah...

I though we were talking about the opening credits. At least I was.
    The intro is fine. It's the outro that disappoints me. I want a lyrical song in this season! Somewhere! ::cries:: ;(

Same! I miss them. :( Hopefully episode 5 will have one, possibly not as the season seems to be a different tone whereas seasons 1 and 2 were random.
  • edited June 2010
    Nintomster wrote: »
    Same! I miss them. :( Hopefully episode 5 will have one, possibly not as the season seems to be a different tone whereas seasons 1 and 2 were random.

Yeah, they only way I can see one is probably in the final episode. Having one in the 4th seems out of place.

Or perhaps the intro has lyrics? (But I can't figure out a way to have some in that song...)

If there is no song in this season, I think SOMEONE has to take it upon themselves to make one. I just hope that person isn't me because I'm horrible at writing lyrics (or writing in general)... ^^;
  • edited June 2010
    Nintomster wrote: »
    I though we were talking about the opening credits. At least I was.
    So am I.

Just pop in the season 2 DVD and look up the movies section, it contains the credits sequence.
    Compare all 5, they start all differently.
  • edited June 2010
    Well I'm not sure if this counts, but in The Devil's Playhouse, in each subsequent episode I've noticed that a new sound effect is added to the opening. In 302 you can hear the phone ring, and in 303 you can hear that and the train. It might just be an oversight, however.
  • edited July 2010
    For 303 it would have been cool to put the opening in the middle of the episode, with

I second this emotion.
  • edited July 2010
    Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter

So am I.

Just pop in the season 2 DVD and look up the movies section, it contains the credits sequence.
    Compare all 5, they start all differently.

I can't do that, I don't have the season 2 dvd - I played them on XBLA.
    The Devil's Playhouse is the first Telltale Game I bought for PC.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, I suppose you can play all till their intro, but that takes quite a bit longer... (203 excluded)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Amaterasu wrote: »
    During the 2nd season of S&M and the Tales of Monkey Island series, the opening and ending credit sequences of each episode was different, new, related to the episode!

In the 3rd season of S&M, it feels like the OP and ED credit sequences are not a part of the game anymore, and begins to be boring to watch.

Please do something original to the OP and ED, something that will make me watch them and feel the same way as we felt while watching Murry's ending from ToMI.

The opening credits to each Season Two episode are different, it's true, but the difference was just the title card, and each episode in Season Three continues to have that, the title card just appears in a cutscene instead of in the opening credits.

In seasons one and two, the closing credits were identical in each episode, but the music was different. In Season Three there are 80s style freeze frames unique to each episode. The same goes for Tales of MI, except for the Murray episode, and finale.

The opening is the same in all Devil's Playhouse episodes, I know. We didn't have time to do special ones. We hoped that keeping a full opening in, along with unique narrator intros, and uniquely designed title cards each month would be enough. I guess for you it's not.

Episode 5 will have some special credits stuff, though, I promise :)

If we were clever this would have happened. That's a great idea.
  • edited July 2010
    Jake wrote: »

Will it have flying monkeys, and giant slugs that fall from the sky in a dramatic (but hilarious) free fall that crushes innocent civilians as they land?!

And will Max be wearing that jacket mentioned in 301? He has to buy it!!!
  • edited July 2010
    The opening is the same in all Devil's Playhouse episodes, I know. We didn't have time to do special ones. We hoped that keeping a full opening in, along with unique narrator intros, and uniquely designed title cards each month would be enough. I guess for you it's not.

/me hugs Jake.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    Will it have flying monkeys, and giant slugs that fall from the sky in a dramatic (but hilarious) free fall that crushes innocent civilians as they land?!

Yes. Both those things. That's exactly what's going in.
  • edited July 2010

Hahaha!!
  • edited July 2010
    I LOVE the opening credits. That's a really cool scene. :D

What I don't love, though, are the ending credits. TOO MANY DIRECTIONS. The background is spinning, the names are going up, the pictures are flipping and getting bigger, augh, it's crazy. :(
  • edited July 2010
    I do like the new opening, it is rather good. I don't wan't to sound like I'm moaning, (sorry if I have though) but I do miss the songs. I'm used to not having them, but it would be brilliant if there was one.

It probably won't happen (unless Telltale have a surprise somewhere).

One more thing:
    Originally Posted by Jake

Sorry, is that opening, end or both? Anyway, I can't wait to see it.
    Maybe the song is the surprise? Nah, maybe not. I'm just going to wait for episode 4 before I guess...
  • edited July 2010

Maybe Guybrush will finally have someone to sell his fine leather jackets to
  • edited July 2010
    If you do freeze-frame credits, there needs to be the A-Team/Remington Steele thing where it's 'This is stuff you'll see in this episode' at the begining.
  • edited July 2010
    Is it just me or does the opening theme remind you of this too?
  • edited July 2010
    Jake, I was thinking about this. The way you said "We hoped that keeping a full opening in, along with unique narrator intros, and uniquely designed title cards each month would be enough. I guess for you it's not." made me feel a bit bad. I'm sorry (I know it is not just me) about wanting songs. I know you guys have a lot of work at the moment, people are unhappy about the Monkey Island dvds etc. I know you guys are really putting a lot of work into this season, and, may I say, you are doing a fantastic job too. So maybe I was asking for too much. So, sorry about that, don't let it get in the way of the season, really make the last two episodes totally awesome, and I shall be happy. :)

Last thing: if you did do extra stuff, like special credits or an added song because of this thread and many people (including me) and you read this, don't get angry at me.
  • edited July 2010

Well, the episodes themselves are plain awesome, and I really enjoy each and every moment.

We learn for a better tomorrow!

Thanks! :D
  • edited July 2010
    I love the opening credits, honestly. I never stick around for the end credits, though.
  • edited July 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    Yeah, they only way I can see one is probably in the final episode. Having one in the 4th seems out of place.

Gustav Freytag begs to differ:

http://www.englishbiz.co.uk/images/freytagpyramid.gif

:winslow:

edit: then again, it says 'plot with unity of action'...
Sign in to comment in this discussion.