Grammar error in Start Menu/Desktop shortcuts for 303.

edited June 2010 in Sam & Max
Hey Telltale,

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the support forum. I'm loving playing the game so far, but one thing instantly bothered me when I finished installing it: The shortcut on the desktop and in the start menu reads "They Stole Maxs Brain". I'm pretty sure the title should read "They Stole Max's Brain" or even "They Stole Max's Brain!".

Am I being too much of a stickler? Probably. But I thought I would point it out anyway...

Comments

• edited June 2010
    They Stole Maxs Apostrophe!

... Was it:

- The grammar police?
    - Zombie Margaret Thatcher?
    - MAJUS?
    - Max (thinking it was a fly that landed on his screen)?
    - The Tipex Corporation?
    - "That Guy"?
    - Mind Worms?
    - Space Pirates? (gasp!)
  • edited June 2010
    bobhobbit wrote: »
    Am I being too much of a stickler? Probably. But I thought I would point it out anyway...

you are.
  • edited June 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    you are.

Sam and Max are supposed to be educational, remember?

So I have to point out that you should have capitalised the "y".

Can't have kids claiming they learned their erroneous ways from this forum now, can we?
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure they'll sort this problem out in the next episode shortcut, Beyond the Alley of the Doll's
  • edited June 2010
    My shortcuts have the apostrophe...

But in older OS isn't apostrophe one of the invalid characters for file/shortcut names?
  • edited June 2010
    Emo Hoe wrote: »
    My shortcuts have the apostrophe...

But in older OS isn't apostrophe one of the invalid characters for file/shortcut names?

I think this is very possibly the case. I'm using Windows 7 and the apostrophe is there in my Games menu (I didn't install the other shortcuts). But I do vaguely remember a problem like this back in the olden days ;)
  • edited June 2010
    I'm sure they'll sort this problem out in the next episode shortcut, Beyond the Alley of the Doll's

there is not apstrophe when refering to a multiple of an item but only to show possesion and when it is an abbreviation like with their's.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    jaden551 wrote: »
    there is not apstrophe when refering to a multiple of an item but only to show possesion and when it is an abbreviation like with their's.

It was a joke, what he said.
  • edited June 2010

Not only did you miss the joke, but "their's" is not remotely correct ;)

See:
    http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000262.htm

Of course, you should generally run a spell checker over your posts before you start making grammatical assertions...

/Pedant
  • edited June 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    It was a joke, what he said.

their are some people who do not understand grammar properly tho' so without a :p or a ;) it looks like they are serious.

Edit:I hate the word their/there.
  • edited June 2010
    their are some people who do not understand grammar properly tho' so without a :p or a ;) it looks like they are serious.

Edit:I hate the word their/there.

There are some people who do not understand grammar properly. It looks like they're serious. See? ;)
  • edited June 2010
    bobhobbit wrote: »

No, you're not. I saw that immediately after install and I wondered whether the person at TTG who coded the shortcut's title made a typo or didn't know how to spell.

Nouns get apostrophes when possessive.
    Pronouns don't get apostrophes when possessive.

Jake's; his; Nikasaur's; hers/her; Telltale's; theirs/their; our/ours; your/yours; its
  • PsyPsy
    edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    No, you're not. I saw that immediately after install and I wondered whether the person at TTG who coded the shortcut's title made a typo or didn't know how to spell.
    Ouch.
    I believe I simply decided that apostrophes aren't safe characters. I don't recall if I had a reason for thinking that or not.
  • edited June 2010
    To build up on what Chyron said, the cases that can lead to confusion are:

- a singular ending in "S" (Ross's sister)
    - a regular plural (my parents' place)
    - a plural without an "S" (people's stuff)

But it's rather easy: 's at all times except plurals ending in S, when you only add the apostrophe with nothing after.
    I'm talking about nouns, obviously.

Also, you're not supposed to put an apostrophe to express plurals, as previously stated, so it's "the 60s" and "my CDs", for instance.

Yay grammar!
  • edited June 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    I think this is very possibly the case. I'm using Windows 7 and the apostrophe is there in my Games menu (I didn't install the other shortcuts). But I do vaguely remember a problem like this back in the olden days ;)

Hmm so maybe the mystery is solved. Now that I look at it, my start menu folder for Wallace and Gromit reads "Wallace and Gromits Grand Adventures" so maybe the apostrophe does freak out older OSes. I just always thought our problems with file name limitations were through back when Win95 introduced long file names, but I guess I was wrong.

I just renamed the shortcut to add the missing ' and it seems to work just fine. What version of Windows didn't support the flying comma (apostrophe) in shortcut names?
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    To build up on what Chyron said, the cases that can lead to confusion are:

- a singular ending in "S" (Ross's sister)
    - a regular plural (my parents' place)
    - a plural without an "S" (people's stuff)

But it's rather easy: 's at all times except plurals ending in S, when you only add the apostrophe with nothing after.
    I'm talking about nouns, obviously.

Also, you're not supposed to put an apostrophe to express plurals, as previously stated, so it's "the 60s" and "my CDs", for instance.

Yay grammar!

One thing I never found a good answer for: what happens when you pluralise "s"?

As in, SSSSSSSSSS

One of the Ss is bold.
    However I write that it looks wrong.
  • edited June 2010
    One boss, many bosses, you use "es" instead of just "s". This also applies to churches and boxes.
  • edited June 2010
    One of the Ses is bold?
  • edited June 2010
    Sometimes people spell out the names of letters, like so:

One of the esses is bold.
  • edited June 2010
    One thing I never found a good answer for: what happens when you pluralise "s"?

As in, SSSSSSSSSS

One of the Ss is bold.
    However I write that it looks wrong.

Things like "the 60's," "CD's," and "S's" are actually correct. when you do a plural of an abbreviation of something, a letter, or a number, you use an apostrophe. That is what I have been taught in my English classes.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.