Direct 3D Problem S&M Season 3

edited June 2010 in Game Support
I installed and finished Episodes 1 and 2 Season 3 no problems (technically). BTW Install was thru Steam. When I installed Ep 3 and launch I now get the message that Direct 3D could not initialize. So, I installed new NVidia drivers (Win 7 64 Bit). Then I updated to the latest Direct X Build (6/08/10). Still no good. On a folly (lark is a bird), I tried running the earlier S 3 episodes and got the same error. They worked perfectly until today. I hope I provided enough information.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Check in DXDIAG to see if something has disabled graphics acceleration.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Do you have multiple displays running? Have you tried disabling all except one?
  • edited June 2010
    I am also using win7(64) with a 9800GTx lastest drivers directx up todate and I keep getting a driver failing to respond recovering driver message which occurs over and over making the game unplayable. Ive tried reducing the graphics quality in the game but no change. DXdiag says all is ok. I am running only one display. Ive have even tried running in xp emulation mode. I am only upto s302. problem came out of the blue yesterday evening.

No problems (yet) with other programs

I wonder if Microsoft is playing silly *s again as when I reran the Drectx update, Microsofts site demanded I reatictivate windows. (Which I did with no probs). I've checked all my drivers are up to date.

Help
  • edited June 2010
    One monitor. DirectX11 is running. Still no good. I don't get why it won't run eps 1 and 2 anymore either.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Jayeff2020 wrote: »
    One monitor. DirectX11 is running. Still no good. I don't get why it won't run eps 1 and 2 anymore either.

Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2010
    ratall wrote: »
    I am also using win7(64) with a 9800GTx lastest drivers directx up todate and I keep getting a driver failing to respond recovering driver message which occurs over and over making the game unplayable.

I can only guess.

Have you tried completely uninstalling the driver, rebooting, and installing it again?
    You could also try the version before the latest.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited June 2010
    Also, even if you are running DX11, you should still try updating your DirectX. For some reason DX11 doesn't ship with all of the necessary DX9 files.
  • edited June 2010
    Jayeff2020 wrote: »
    Then I updated to the latest Direct X Build (6/08/10). Still no good.

Did.
    edited June 2010
    Ah, that's what I get for trying to scan posts during my lunch break. Sorry!
  • edited June 2010
    Don't worry. We know you're busy. Got it fixed. Somehow some gremlin turned my graphics down to 16-bit. I swear I was at 32-bit before this. BTW didn't mean to troll.
  • edited June 2010
    hi
    think I fixed it I removed a utility called gamerhub supposed to optimise display card for max speed been installed since day one with no problems but as it has to do with the dispay I killed it just to make sure. no errors since (fingers crossed)

thanks for the help

I aspoke too soon just delays the onset ?
    backto the drawing board
    will trty a rollback of the driver
  • edited June 2010
    hi again
    just did some more investigating found this message in the event logs

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

anyone else had this
    edited June 2010
    Hmm, definitely sounds like your Nvidia driver is freaking out. I suppose it's always worth a shot to redownload and reinstall your drivers yet again, though this time make sure virus scanner is off when you install it (you may want to be disconnected from the net, just in case).

Then after that, Let's try a clean reboot just in case:

To Boot Clean in Windows 7

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Unclick "Load Startup Items"
    4. Click on the Services tab
    5. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    6. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    7. Click OK
    8. Click Restart
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited June 2010
    I was receiving the same error, I'm using and ATI HD5700 with win 7 x64. I have 2 monitors with my desktop stretched across both, changing to duplicated desktops allowed the game to load with out the d3d error. A bit anoying considering the previous episodes of S&M didn't have this problem.
This discussion has been closed.