Sam and Max S2 all games crashing

edited July 2010 in Game Support
I recently purchased the Telltale Complete pack through Steam. I am not sure if you support your games on Steam but the lack of help on their forum is maddening.

Whenever I try and run one of the games, the game crashes. I have tried running all of Sam and Max Season 2, Strongbad E1, Tales of Monkey Island E1, and they all do the same thing. I click PLAY and the screen flickers for a second, and no game screen ever comes up. Just, nothing. I have tried turning off anti-virus, changing my resolution, running in admin, reinstalling, and nothing is working. I love your games, I so desperately want to play them!

The weird thing is, Sam and Max Season 3 runs fine. I purchased that one separately when the season launched and all three episodes thus far have had no hitches.

Any ideas what the problem is? Please help me. Thank you for your assistance in advance.

MY SPECS: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Windows Vista x64

Comments

• Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
    ©DjNDB 2009
  • edited June 2010
    Some TT games sometimes have issues with the Steam overlay. Try turning that off, and see if the problem persists.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Didero wrote: »
    Some TT games sometimes have issues with the Steam overlay. Try turning that off, and see if the problem persists.

actually, that's not true anymore. All of our games should play with the overlay just fine these days.
  • edited July 2010
    @Macfly:

Yes, my current settings are at 32-bit color but I have tried lowering that to 16-bit and it fails. I have also tried messing with the resolution. Somewhere I read something about having to start the game with a resolution of 800 x 600, but that didn't fix anything either.

Developments:

I am currently trying to install the game on a friend's computer. We have the exact same laptop, courtesy of our graduate program in (believe it or not) game design. If it works on his machine, then I at least know my machine has a shot at running them.

Thanks, I really appreciate that people are willing to help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    What graphics chip does your laptop have? Do you have the latest drivers installed?

A dxdiag log might be helpful too.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited July 2010
    @DjNDB:

Here is the requested file. I have updated my drivers and direct x to their latest versions. I should have mentioned that, sorry. I can confirm that the game DOES run on my friend's machine (which is the same as my machine) so I know its possible to run them with my specs. I just can't find the thing that's bugging my games.
  • edited July 2010
    Will wrote: »
    actually, that's not true anymore. All of our games should play with the overlay just fine these days.
    Oh, that's good to know. Thanks for the update, and sorry for spreading misinformation.

A thing that can also interfere with Telltale games (please correct me again if I'm wrong :)), is if you have LUA installed. If that is the case, you could try removing the LUA_PATH global variable like this:
    kerm wrote: »
    I found an older thread about deleting Lua environment variables from Contol Panel > System > Advanced > Environment Variables. Specifically, I deleted the LUA_PATH and LUA_DEV system variables and restarted the computer.
    Maybe that'll work.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Some games had problems with certain DirectInput devices (e.g. graphics tablets).
    I noticed these in your dxdiag log, which you could try to disconnect/uninstall:
    Device Name: Nintendo RVL-CNT-01
    Attached: 1
    Controller ID: 0x0
    Vendor/Product ID: 0x057E, 0x0306
    FF Driver: n/a

Device Name: Bluetooth Remote Control HID Device
    Attached: 1
    Controller ID: 0x0
    Vendor/Product ID: 0xFFFE, 0xFFFE
    FF Driver: n/a

It might also be helpful to have a dxdiag log of your friends system for comparison.
  • edited July 2010
    OK, so I compared the two dxdiag files and found some updated drivers for my system. No fix. Unfortunately, there is one major difference I can't fix right now: he is running Windows 7. I am attaching the files to see if someone else might catch anything I missed.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    The "Bluetooth Remote Control HID Device" is still there.

You should also try a clean boot.

Booting clean in Windows Vista / 7:
    1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited July 2010
    OK, I tried completely uninstalling the Bluetooth device and the clean boot procedure. It still didn't work. The screen still flashes, it looks like a window pops up, but then it closes instantly and the game doesn't run.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I am running out of reasonable ideas now, so i'll post the more obscure ones.
    Did you change the location of your "My Documents" folder?
    Did you install to the default location?
    Have you tried creating a new Windows user account and starting the game from there?
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I am running out of reasonable ideas now, so i'll post the more obscure ones.
    Did you change the location of your "My Documents" folder?
    Did you install to the default location?
    Have you tried creating a new Windows user account and starting the game from there?

No on all fronts. Things like this have happened before. On my old machine, it refused to install Windows 7. Again I tried every trick in the book and nothing worked. I think I just need to resign myself to the idea that life just isn't reasonable. Or, that may computers have a mind of their own. I knew I shouldn't have bought my computer from Cyberdyne.
This discussion has been closed.