Puzzle Agent Ep. 1 - initialization error

edited December 2010 in Game Support
Hi. I downloaded the first ep. of Puzzle Agent. Immediately after starting the program I get an error message: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002). Click to terminate the application." Any insights?

gbcraw

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Please post a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then zip the file and attach it to a reply in this Thread.
  • edited July 2010
    Thx DjDNB. zipped dxdiag file attached.
    gbcraw
  • SegSeg
    edited July 2010
    gbcraw: Can you please update your graphics drivers? They're very old and likely the cause of the problems:

Intel GM965 Express Chipset Family
  • edited July 2010
    Thx Seg. Updated my drivers successfully (see updated dxdiag zip file, attached) but same error msg when firing up the game. Hmm.
    gbcraw
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    I can't see where it's coming from.
    Did you run the DirectX updater?
    You can also try installing Windows XP SP3 and the other windows updates.

If you want a more systematic approach run dependencywalker/ and load the Grickle101.exe. It might show some useful error messages.
  • edited July 2010
    That exit code has the identifier STATUS_SXS_CANT_GEN_ACTCTX. Microsoft defines this as "Windows was unble to process the application binding information. Refer to the system event log for further information."

Open the event log and check the error message you get. Most likely, the application depends on some version of a system DLL, but it can't find that version on your system.

If you follow the steps described at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive/2007/06/12/diagnose-sidebyside-failures-in-windows-xp-windows-server-2003.aspx, that might help you to determine what file it can't find - you can then tell us, and we can probably tell you what you need to do.

However, you should probably install SP3 first, in case it's provided there.
  • edited July 2010
    In my case, same error, QtGui4 couldn't resolve the Microsoft.VC90.CRT assembly.

A quick install of the VC2008-SP1 vcredist file, and I was up and away:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/7/7/977B481A-7BA6-4E30-AC40-ED51EB2028F2/vcredist_x86.exe

Oddly, the Qt/Webkit launcher with Sam and Max S3 worked fine. Something changed in the build there?

(Now I can worry about figuring out why Wine hates fmod later :)
  • edited July 2010
    Another user with same 'failed to initialize' error... I went out on a limb and tried the Visual C++ redistributable, Puzzle Agent now working without even having to restart! Thanx.
    Ender2 wrote: »
    In my case, same error, QtGui4 couldn't resolve the Microsoft.VC90.CRT assembly.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/7/7/977B481A-7BA6-4E30-AC40-ED51EB2028F2/vcredist_x86.exe
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Ender2 wrote: »

This worked for me! Thanks, Ender2. :)
  • edited November 2010
    ok im running windows xp my video card is intel (R) gme graphics controler or somthing and it keeps saying direct 3d failed to intilize plz plz plz plz plz help me
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2010
    oneupgamer wrote: »
    ok im running windows xp my video card is intel (R) gme graphics controler or somthing and it keeps saying direct 3d failed to intilize plz plz plz plz plz help me

Make sure your display color depth is set to 32-Bit.

Please also post a dxdiag log as described above.
  • edited December 2010
    I can't get Puzzle Agent up and running either... can't initialize Direct 3D.

Here's the files that Dependency Walker says are missing:

AMSDK.DLL
    BINKW32.DLL
    GPSVC.DLL
    IESHIMS.DLL

Is it as simple as getting those files? My display is set to 32-bit... I can run Back to the Future at max setting and it runs fine! I have an ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series, first issue I've ever had trying to run any game. Dragon Age and Mass Effect run great, but Puzzle Agent won't load? Weird!

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2010
    I can't get Puzzle Agent up and running either... can't initialize Direct 3D.

I don't think it's the DLLs in this case.
    Do you have multiple displays running?

Please also post dxdiag log as described above.
  • edited December 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I don't think it's the DLLs in this case.
    Do you have multiple displays running?

Please also post dxdiag log as described above.

Ah! It was the multiple displays... I disable the other display when I play games, but I had to actually go into my control panel and set this monitor to be the only display possible.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.