Error when trying to run Ep2 of Sam & Max - unpacking error

edited January 2007 in Game Support
I have downloaded Situation Comedy, install it and then when I try to run it, I get this:

"Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author"

So I am reporting this to the author of the program. What does it mean and how do I fix it?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Great error message. It tells you to report it to us, yet we've never heard of it either. :p

Something may have gone wrong with your download. I suggest deleting any temporary files that remain on the computer (do a search for Situation Comedy) and then downloading again. Let us know if it works or not.
  • edited January 2007
    Got this same error message. Followed the prescribed steps (and even went whole hog and deleted all references to Situation Comedy in the registry, just to be on the safe side), and redownloaded, both from the "Find My Order" page and the direct link from the email I got telling me the second episode was out. Downloaded it in both Opera (my normal browser) and IE. Exact same error every single time.

Just for kicks, I downloaded the direct link version that has to be activated from the sticky. Got a nearly identical error message:

Error while unpacking program, code 5-11. Please report to author.

And then I go back to the same splash screen, with an ad for the game I've already bought and been spending hours trying to play.
  • MelMel
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if this will help but try disabling any spyware programs (and maybe turning off your antivirus too).
  • edited January 2007
    Nope. Shut down AVG, turned off every running program... even did the no-no bad thing and completely disabled my firewall... exact same message. My system is set up exactly the same way it was when I installed Episode 1 with absolutely no problem, so I'm pretty stumped. I'm starting to lose track of how many times I've uninstalled and reinstalled, downloaded and deleted this game.
  • edited January 2007
    Got the same thing after removing it, deleting every trace I could find..

What is going on?!?!? :mad:
  • edited January 2007
    Yep, I'm getting the same problem as well and have tried all that I could think of. Here's hoping for a quick fix:D
  • edited January 2007
    I waited for a week or so and then downloaded episode 2 again. I then installed it again. I then ran it and got the same damn error that I mentioned in the other thread Strange error.

I can't do it anymore. I wanted to play all of the episodes, but I just can't keep downloading them and then finding out they don't work on my machine. I really don't want to do this, but I would like to get my money back. Just the amount I paid for the upgrade to the season package..since I could play the first episode, I am willing to pay for that one.

So Emily, should I PM you about that?
  • edited January 2007
    Yeah, I'm kinda still waiting for an answer on this issue too, after having Emily forward the issue on to the "tech guys" on the 7th. No word since, and I also just recently tried redownloading and installing the program again, with the same code LP5 error.

I'm crossing my fingers that maybe, by the time episode three is released, this issue is taken care of. If not, however, I might be pursuing similar measures.

Much as I liked the first part, I kinda expected a little more for my dollar. Like having the other five episodes work.
  • edited January 2007
    Out of curiosity, for those of you getting the LP5 error, are you running any sort of anti-spyware programs that keep running (as opposed to doing a single scan). Alternatively, do any of you use AOL?
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Hi guys,

We just learned this morning that this error is caused by antivirus software detecting the game as a virus (even though it isn't). We're trying to get more information but in the meantime, one solution would be to turn your virus software off before running the game.

There are also some workarounds that we've been provided with but they depend on what antivirus software you're using. If you could tell us that, we might be able to suggest a workaround that will resolve this.

Please understand that this is not an error with our software, it's a conflict between the activation system (which is made by another company) and certain antivirus programs (which are of course completely out of our control). This makes it extremely difficult for us to track down the problem. The fact that it's taken a little while for us to figure out what's going on isn't because we don't care, it's because we honestly don't know what the issue is and sometimes don't even know where to start looking.

Anyone who doesn't want to wait for the antivirus guys to fix this (which I'm told could take a few months) and wants their money back, please email support@telltalegames.com to ask for that. I'll still probably be the one who answers you, but it's just easier for me to keep track of these requests when they come in through email than when posted in the forum or PMs. Thanks.
  • edited January 2007
    I'll try running it without my anti-virus software running and see what happens. If it still doesn't work, then I'll be sending in that email as soon as I can.
This discussion has been closed.