Puzzle Agent (Windows 7/64x): Could Not Initialize Direct3D

edited July 2010 in Game Support
This just popped up as soon as I click "Launch Game" - it becomes totally unresponsive & I need to kill the entire process via task manager.

I removed and reinstalled the most recent display driver I could find, and I used the DX websetup to check out my DX11.

Here's my dxdiag all zipped up.

The card is an ATI HD 5850, but that should be in the dxdiag anyway. Thanks in advance if you see something I missed.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    Try disabling your second display.
  • edited July 2010
    that worked - thank you.

any specific reason this happens, out of curiosity
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    hushed wrote: »
    that worked - thank you.

any specific reason this happens, out of curiosity

You're welcome. I don't really know why it happens. It's just something that happened in S&M S3 too.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Hmm, that's *still* happening? Ok, I'll reopen the bug. Thanks for the heads up and sorry about that!
  • edited July 2010
    Will wrote: »
    Hmm, that's *still* happening? Ok, I'll reopen the bug. Thanks for the heads up and sorry about that!
    Yes, it unfortunately is... :(
  • edited July 2010
    I am also getting that error, followed by another: "Unfortunately, this error cannot be recovered." :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2010
    xbskid wrote: »
    I am also getting that error, followed by another: "Unfortunately, this error cannot be recovered." :(

Have you made sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit?
    Did you disable your second display, if applicable?
  • edited July 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Have you made sure your display color depth is set to 32 bit?
    Did you disable your second display, if applicable?

Yes, my color depth is 32bit, and no, I did not disable my second display. I think it's a bit silly to have to rearrange my icons and disable a monitor in order to play Puzzle Agent when I don't have to do that for Sam & Max Season 3. The game does seem to run just fine if I enable compatibility mode for Vista (SP2)--even includes the text labels on the Yes/No quit menu buttons that wouldn't appear for me under Windows 7 x86.
  • edited July 2010
    Workaround that worked for me (since I use Win7 x64 + ATi and I refuse to disable my second screen, that's just plain dumb) - for Sam&Max S03E03, that is.

1. Set your previous episode (or maybe it would work with another TellTale game even) to run in windowed mode.
    2. Copy file prefs.prop from the previous game (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Telltale Games\The Tomb of Sammun-Mak) to the new game (in my case, C:\Users\username\Documents\Telltale Games\They Stole Maxs Brain)
  • edited July 2010
    analytik wrote: »
    Workaround that worked for me (since I use Win7 x64 + ATi and I refuse to disable my second screen, that's just plain dumb) - for Sam&Max S03E03, that is.

I too have an ATI card, and I also refuse to disable my second display. Have you tried just setting the compatibility mode to Vista SP2?
This discussion has been closed.