What's Wrong With Season 3?

edited July 2010 in Sam & Max
I swear, a lot of people say some Season 3 episodes (or all) are not what they want. Honestly? There is still inventory Gameplay, still Sam and Max, very wacky and crazy happenings (much as in the comics and TV show) and the best graphics out of all the Seasons, not in a very bland style like usually. So I want all of the naysayers to post on this: What makes it bad? :confused:

(P.S I think this is the best Sam And Max Season yet, not to mention 303 is my favorite Sam and Max episode of all time.)

Comments

• edited July 2010
    BoneFreak wrote: »
    I swear, a lot of people say some Season 3 episodes (or all) are not what they want. Honestly? There is still inventory Gameplay, still Sam and Max, very wacky and crazy happenings (much as in the comics and TV show) and the best graphics out of all the Seasons, not in a very bland style like usually. So I want all of the naysayers to post on this: What makes it bad? :confused:

(P.S I think this is the best Sam And Max Season yet, not to mention 303 is my favorite Sam and Max episode of all time.)

you and I are one in the same, The Devil's Playhouse is so far the greatest season yet!!! The Penal Zone is my favorite episode.

The problem I think: either a: some people can't accept change or b: they hate the lack of Bosco, believe me I miss Bosco, but let's not forget about our favorite dog and lagamorph....and Superball
  • edited July 2010
    Just because you guys think this season is the best thing since sliced bread, doesn't mean it is. It's just an opinion, just like the ones who think that Season 3 could be so much better than so far.

I don't think I need to repeat my reasonings yet again. Two times were enough to people who just ignore my posts. There's been too many of these "fans VS fans" topics and if you are too lazy to listen to another's opinion the first 9-something times (I've counted at least 9 topics on the first page in the Sam & Max forum), you are just stroking a fire that shouldn't be.
  • edited July 2010
    Not everyone reads every thread, you know. For example, you've posted 195 times before this, yet this is the first time I've ever seen you here.
  • edited July 2010
    The only thing I have against season 3 is the puzzles are slightly too easy.

Other than that, I am loving it and have no buyer's remorse.

It's a good thing for me I love Sam n Max as well as Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited July 2010
    Breakman wrote: »
    Just because you guys think this season is the best thing since sliced bread, doesn't mean it is. It's just an opinion, just like the ones who think that Season 3 could be so much better than so far.

I don't think I need to repeat my reasonings yet again. Two times were enough to people who just ignore my posts. There's been too many of these "fans VS fans" topics and if you are too lazy to listen to another's opinion the first 9-something times (I've counted at least 9 topics on the first page in the Sam & Max forum), you are just stroking a fire that shouldn't be.

+1.

I would also add that not all of the criticisms of Season 3 come from people who aren't happy with it overall. There are at least some, like me, who offer quibbles because they love TDP and want to provide Telltale with their thoughts on making it better.

Following Breakman's precedent, I won't repeat my quibbles here.
  • edited July 2010
    Kolgax wrote: »
    The only thing I have against season 3 is the puzzles are slightly too easy.

Other than that, I am loving it and have no buyer's remorse.

It's a good thing for me I love Sam n Max as well as Tales of Monkey Island.

I understand that the puzzles may be too easy, but then again, most times in Season 2 I would end up walkthrough-searching, and it wouldn't be fun.

Also, Future Vision, although sometimes actually useful in moving the story forward
    example- using it on sam at toys!s to have skunkape come
    , sort of works as a hint system as well, yet the way you're supposed to work up to what happens in the vision is not seen, making sure that there is still some sort of challenge.

EDIT: Breakman, I found the reason why you didn't like the episode (303):
    The middle of the game was just the same old, same old: solve some easy puzzles and collect items. I didn't really mind the museum as much as the other-reality.

It seems to me that you didn't like the episode because it was the exact same as the first 2 seasons? Sure, the puzzles might have been easier, but this "same old" stuff is what Telltale Games is known for (excluding Puzzle Agent and Texas Hold'em), and you just mention it here? Sounds like you really don't have anything bad to say about it, just that you wanted more of what wasn't expected from the game.
  • edited July 2010
    If I HAD to pick something I dislike about Season 3, it'd be the lack of Musical Numbers, would've LOVED to see Papierwaite and Skunkape do a duet song about Sammun-Mak.
  • edited July 2010
    What the heck is this? I see a thread called "what's wrong with season 3" on most recently used thread for the forum, click it out of interest, and it's full of people refusing to say what's wrong with it :s I'm quite interested in hearing why it isn't what some people want, but am not about to trawl a forum to find their other posts in order to do so.
  • edited July 2010
    What the heck is this? I see a thread called "what's wrong with season 3" on most recently used thread for the forum, click it out of interest, and it's full of people refusing to say what's wrong with it :s I'm quite interested in hearing why it isn't what some people want, but am not about to trawl a forum to find their other posts in order to do so.

You're interested in a particular topic, but can't be bothered to look at threads with relevant titles?!? That's the whole point of a threaded forum. No trawling necessary: there's a stickied thread called Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: They Stole Max's Brain! Discussion!

The op is trolling for arguments to "refute" as if his/her own opinion is the only correct one, and it's not the first thread to do so.
  • edited July 2010
    There is another point you are forgetting. People like to complain. Even if people absolutely love something they will find something to complain about.
  • edited July 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    You're interested in a particular topic, but can't be bothered to look at threads with relevant titles?!? That's the whole point of a threaded forum. No trawling necessary: there's a stickied thread called Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse: They Stole Max's Brain! Discussion!

The op is trolling for arguments to "refute" as if his/her own opinion is the only correct one, and it's not the first thread to do so.

This is the only topic on the first page that looks to discuss all the reasons people do not like season 3.

Also I'm sure all that you've written so far, you could have just given a summary of things you don't like about the season?
  • edited July 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    There is another point you are forgetting. People like to complain. Even if people absolutely love something they will find something to complain about.

I realize that. It's called nitpicking, and some people only do it because they fear saying something has no problems is wrong for a reason.
  • edited July 2010
    And some people write off legitimate criticisms as nitpicking because they can't accept that their own opinion isn't the only correct one.
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, thom, I looked at your posts and saw that what you said about the season was mainly that puzzles were too easy. What would you have liked? A game that has puzzles that make you think (but aren't that easy), or ones that needed you to head for a walkthrough? I personally like this season for the fact that I don't need a walkthrough, and also, some puzzles
    like the one with Sal poking Tyrone's eyes
    required you to look at a lot of options.
  • edited July 2010
    The only thing I really, truly do not like about Season Three is the way the characters move. Maybe the Cool-Looking-But-Mega-Awkward-Click-And-Drag-To-Move-Anywhere-While-Camera-Spins-Around-Giving-The-Player-A-Splitting-Headache is technically more impressive, but for me with my laptop at least, it's an utter nightmare. And no, I'm not kidding about the headache.

It took me about twenty minutes to solve the first couple puzzles and
    maneuver Max to the tank with the Moleman in
    and by then I was just so fed up and dispirited that I quit. I mean, seriously, what's wrong with the Click Here to Move Here or Double-Click Here to Run Here method? Simple, effective and leaves you free to enjoy the game and concentrate on the puzzle-solving and dialogue.

Please, Telltale Games...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(On a side note, the movement engine is pretty much ALL I don't like about Season Three. Kinda like TTG's Monkey Island games. But it's a pretty big all).
  • edited July 2010
    Ok, thom, I looked at your posts and saw that what you said about the season was mainly that puzzles were too easy. What would you have liked? A game that has puzzles that make you think (but aren't that easy), or ones that needed you to head for a walkthrough? I personally like this season for the fact that I don't need a walkthrough, and also, some puzzles
    You should not be playing puzzle games.
  • edited July 2010
    JudasFm wrote: »
    The only thing I really, truly do not like about Season Three is the way the characters move.

WASD is your friend, if you haven't figured that out yet.

And Rather Dashing: I don't get it. Should I not be playing puzzle games because I don't want to look at walkthroughs? Back in "the day" you couldn't even find walkthroughs because there was no internet!
  • edited July 2010

What kind of question is that? Of course I don't want to go to a walkthrough, I want puzzles that make me think, logically and creatively, in a large and complex game-world. But I would much rather have a game in which I solved lots of tricky and satisfying puzzles and needed a walkthrough once, than a game where all the solutions were obvious immediately after I'd surveyed all the points of interaction.

If you
    visited the office and "took the tour"
    before giving
    Sal the headset
    , it was pretty obvious to me how to get him to do what you needed him to do, including that
    the tentacle exhibit had to be turned around
  • edited July 2010
    Nothing is WRONG with the season. Its just different. There are different people writing for it and thus the pacing is a little different and the humor is a little different. The only things I dislike about it are the change in controls and the dialogue feels a little more obvious in the joke setups. That being said, the season has changed in that the game has had some of the best settings and most varied locations of all the games.
  • edited July 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I love season 3 as much as I loved the first 2 seasons. However, to be the jerk in the room, here are my complaints

1) We keep getting introduced to all these cool powers and they keep getting taken away. I just hope in the last episode of the season, we get to use all of them.
    2) I'd like to see Bosco, Sybil, and Lincoln again. Also, we haven't seen Mama Bosco or Superball since episode 1. (Although, I have some suspicions about Superball)
    Notice how he was not guarding a door in episode 1. And, S could stand for Superball.
    3) I miss all the cool stuff to click on in the office.
    BANAGGGGGGG
  • edited July 2010
    some puzzles
    Why are people calling him Tyrone? His name is M'Gila. Tyrone is how Sam pretended to be called.
    Hal15900 wrote: »
    (Although, I have some suspicions about Superball)
    Notice how he was not guarding a door in episode 1. And, S could stand for Superball.
    Didn't the letter state that "S" wasn't human though?
  • edited July 2010
    Who ever said Superball was human?
  • edited July 2010
    Season 3 is the best season ever. For me.
    It's different from season 1 and 2. And after 2 season this is a good.
    Don't get mie wrong. I loved the other seasons.
    But i also love fresh and new.
  • edited July 2010
    WASD is your friend, if you haven't figured that out yet.

Yeah, I got that, thanks ;) But it's still more frustrating than being able to move characters to a spot with one single click.
  • edited July 2010
    I think TDP is by far the best season yet.
    Where in Seasons 1 and 2 I often found myself bored at how easy puzzles were and how few places and personnel there was available, the new approach through Max's psychic toys seems like a really good idea to me. It is an original way to make up for the TTG-style lack of inventory-embedded item combination, something I really missed until TDP.
    'Future Vision' for example takes the bad stuff out of twisted, weird, absurd plots (the often unfair difficulty to figure it out) and leaves you with the fun of it.
  • edited July 2010
    thom-22 wrote: »
    But I would much rather have a game in which I solved lots of tricky and satisfying puzzles and needed a walkthrough once, than a game where all the solutions were obvious immediately after I'd surveyed all the points of interaction.

Well obviously, if you look at everything you could possibly do, then you're bound to find out a solution.
    3) I miss all the cool stuff to click on in the office.

There's still some stuff to click, and with funny remarks.
    Try clicking on the gizmo in BoscoTech that's closest to the molemen hole.
  • edited July 2010
    Hal15900 wrote: »
    2) I'd like to see Bosco, Sybil, and Lincoln again. Also, we haven't seen Mama Bosco or Superball since episode 1. (Although, I have some suspicions about Superball)

I have this probably-correct suspicion that you only think you want them back. I have a crazy hunch that says you shouldn't bring back characters in anything for the sake of it. Both Momma Bosco and Superball made story sense in 301, so they came back. They don't have a role in either 302 or 303. Had they been there, you would have liked them less.
  • edited July 2010
    Sybil's Building was destroyed by the flagship anyway, right? Her belongings were moved out of the building as well.
  • edited July 2010
    I think this is the best season so far. Under every point of view.
  • edited July 2010
    I don't play favorites with seasons, just episodes. I always end up with 3 episodes per season I really really like, & 2 that feel like filler episodes.
  • edited July 2010
    I am enjoying this season the most out of the 3, but the criticisms being raised so far probably aren't unfair.
  • edited July 2010
    I am enjoying this season the most out of the 3, but the criticisms being raised so far probably aren't unfair.

But then again, I have seen Breakman's thoughts on Puzzle Agent and claims it to be better then Season 3 so far, and that is a little overboard.

First, Season 3 has obviously had a lot more playtime (me, I've played about 14 hours total) while puzzle agent is about 30 minute's worth.

Second, the games are completely different, so they shouldn't even be compared in the first place.
  • edited July 2010
    To me, Season 3 seems to bear more and more resemblance to Dreamfall - the story was top notch, the presentation was first class, and then the puzzles seemed to be of secondary importance. The result with Dreamfall is that I can't really consider it an adventure game, it's more like an interactive movie - and I had very similar feeling with S3E3. I loved the noir part, the museum was awesome to explore, and the transformed city was very funny; however, once the cool exploration was over, the puzzle solutions were simply obvious - and to be honest, annoyingly simplistic. In the noir part, there was nothing but interrogation, in the other two parts, with a slight exaggeration, there was
    nothing but rhinoplasty

What keeps nagging me is if the psychic power stuff was combined with inventory puzzles, and the interrogation would appear here and there in act 2 and 3, for example, to uncover items or to get clues to impossibly difficult riddles, then the gameplay could have been really badass. The hints are at level 4 by default, so there could be help for less experienced players.

I love Season 3 as a whole, but I do sense a huge missed opportunity in the puzzle design.
  • edited July 2010
    But then again, I have seen Breakman's thoughts on Puzzle Agent and claims it to be better then Season 3 so far, and that is a little overboard.

[...]

Second, the games are completely different, so they shouldn't even be compared in the first place.

I see what you're saying, but I think the comparison would have only been problematic if she had gotten into the particulars. As it is, it could be taken as saying, "I think Puzzle Agent is a better game of its kind than Season 3 has been as an adventure game."

Talking about games in different genres doesn't mean we can't evaluate their quality against each other. It only becomes a matter of comparing apples to oranges when someone comes into a game in a different genre with certain expectations which don't make any sense, and then goes on to criticize that game based on those misguided expectations. I don't see Breakman doing that here.

(Now, there is the quandary of what makes something a good representative of its genre. What makes an adventure game an adventure game? What makes it a great one? Some might say the quality of both puzzles and storytelling should be on equal footing; others might say puzzles should be the emphasis, with good storytelling as an added yet welcome bonus. And so on. But that, I think, is a discussion for another thread ... )

On a different note -- and for the record -- Pantagruel's Friend's post right above mine gets a huge "THIS" from me.

... Aaannd to cover more bases on this topic in general: along with the puzzle criticisms, I've seen some rumblings about the storytelling -- how it might not be headed in a direction a Sam & Max game should go in, and/or that it's lost some of Sam & Max's essential appeal along the way of becoming more story-driven and less gag-driven than the first two seasons. (Anyone who thinks I'm misrepresenting their views can jump in and correct me, of course. ^^; ) I can understand where this is coming from, but aside from missing the side gags inherent in having more selectable objects to click, I find it hard to be happier with the way Telltale has been able to tell a more cohesive Sam & Max story without betraying what makes the core of the main characters and their world so appealing. So even the story isn't universally praised, if still one of the least-challenged aspects of TDP.
    First, Season 3 has obviously had a lot more playtime (me, I've played about 14 hours total) while puzzle agent is about 30 minute's worth.

Wait, what? If it's taking someone only 30 minutes to complete Puzzle Agent, that has to be one hell of a speedrun. Or just an anomaly; I've seen some scattered complaints of short play time, but if 30 minutes was anywhere near the average, there would almost certainly be tons more of them. (FWIW, it took me about an hour less to complete than a normal Telltale episode.)
  • edited July 2010
    Good posts from light_rises and Pantagruel's Friend.

I have to believe that Telltale is getting the message about the importance of puzzles. Not only from the forum -- TSMB has the lowest Metacritic rating of all the S&M episodes so far; it's one of only two episodes rated below 79 (103 is 74 and 303 is 72; note that I only looked at PC version ratings, not console). They're getting similar messages wrt Puzzle Agent -- many forum comments and reviews say the puzzles are too easy, too repetitive, too vague, too boring, etc. (I liked 'em myself). I think they're running a big risk if they ignore all this feedback.

At the same time, I don't think the criticisms of TSMB (well, most anyway, not all) suggest that drastic changes are in order. All I really want is that TSMB not be part of a trend toward less challenging gameplay. If it's just a "low point" in the normal variation of difficulty level from episode to episode then I'm fine with that. If otoh 304 and 305 don't provide more complex and challenging puzzles, then I'll be very sad. I think we just have to wait and see.
  • edited July 2010
    The thing I dont like with Season 3 is the lack of the simple mouse-control, I still dont understand why it was removed. Steering with the keyboard sucks and gamepads arent supported (unless they are XBox-Controllers... yuck).
    Story and gameplay is great, of course not perfect but compared to the first 2 seasons which had real lowpoints (the episode in the casino was horrible for example) its very solid so far.

If I had to nitpick I`d have to say that in 303 I really felt like they shouldn`t cut the already short episode in even smaller disconnected parts. It works in longer games, but in Episodes you quickly feel trapped in a pretty small cage (nearly everything in the museum happens in one room). Also the riddles in the "alternate reality" were pretty simple, particularly because there were only 3 simple independent ones (more cutting down the game into small pieces).
    In Episode 2 you atleast could(/had to) switch between the section, so they weren't totally disconnected.
  • edited July 2010
    nolange wrote: »
    If I had to nitpick I'd have to say that in 303 I really felt like they shouldn`t cut the already short episode in even smaller disconnected parts. It works in longer games, but in Episodes you quickly feel trapped in a pretty small cage (nearly everything in the museum happens in one room).

That's definitely a good part of the reason why TSMB was less challenging.
    nolange wrote: »
    The thing I dont like with Season 3 is the lack of the simple mouse-control, I still dont understand why it was removed.

I don't think we're going back to that, it would probably require significant changes to the Telltale game engine. Most people have gotten used to it, some even like it better. (I actually use my iPod touch as a trackpad for navigating the game, works pretty well. :) )
  • edited July 2010
    Just to let you guys know, it would be hard for Telltale to make a single episode to have so many locations. There would be so many characters, plot developments, dialogue, and other wacky stuff that would need to be put in. In fact, the 1st episode had Meesta Pizza and Hard Luck, but you couldn't actually see the owner(s) or the interior.

I don't know how this arises as such a problem now: 201 Had only Straight & Narrow, Santa's Workshop, and if you count the locations in the flashbacks (which are all reused but 1).
  • edited July 2010
    Personally, I don't think these games are quite as difficult as the old ones. With these, I've spent maybe 3-4 hourse tops playing through them. With the others, I was taking days, and mulling over different possibilities.

Also, I don't think the same charm is there as the past ones. The Devil's Playhouse seems a lot darker, and less...quirky. It's all a cumulitive thing.
  • edited July 2010
    along with the puzzle criticisms, I've seen some rumblings about the storytelling -- how it might not be headed in a direction a Sam & Max game should go in, and/or that it's lost some of Sam & Max's essential appeal along the way of becoming more story-driven and less gag-driven than the first two seasons.

... aaaaaand, to complicate things a little further: as much as I love Season 2, probably the one thing I can criticise it for is the weak overarching story. while Season 1 was great with the
    hypnosis theme and the surprising solution to the Hugh Bliss mystery
    , and Season 3 is shaping up to be great around the Toys of Power, Season 2's story was more of an excuse to enable travelling in the timestream and visiting extraordinary locations. this is probably more in line with the approach of the comics, but it's less appropriate in an adventure game. in my book, at least.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.