Sam and Max - Situation Comedy: Game Becomes Unresponsive When Leaving Bosco's

edited April 2007 in Game Support
I have loaded from an auto-save just outside Sam and Max's office for the first time and then proceeded to Bosco's; when I try to leave Bosco's, Sam merely stands at the door and I cannot do anything (the music still plays and Sam is still animated but there is no cursor and the game does not respond to the keyboard).

I also tried going to Sybil's first before visiting Bosco's but, while leaving Sybil's was fine, the same problem occurred at Bosco's.

For the sake of completeness: I exhausted all conversation topics with Bosco, tried to pick up the can of shaving cream and then tried to leave. A second time, I exhausted all lines of conversation except the ¨Do you have any...¨ and tried to leave immediately.

I am running the game on Windows XP Professional SP2 with an Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz, 2 GB of RAM and an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256 MB of video memory.

Thanks in advance,

-- Paul

Comments

• edited January 2007
    I get exactly the same problem. I've now finished Situation Comedy and the only time this happens is when leaving Bosco's.

I can get around it if I switch to Windowed display modebefore trying to leave Bosco's and then switch back to full screen mode when I'm outside. (Just press ALT+ENTER to switch between windowed & fullscreen)
  • edited January 2007
    Running into the same issue. Posted it at the wrong place first, didn't see this forum until now.

The problem does not occur at Sybil's, Sam & Max's office, or the studio.
    Workaround: make sure Sam, Max, and the door are all on the screen before clicking the door.
  • edited January 2007
    I have the same problem.... but I forgot to save so I have to start over again :(
  • edited January 2007
    I am having problems with the game when I go into Bosco's, after the rats take the shaving cream and I have too chase after them the game just freezes when I try too leave the shop. Please help!!
  • edited January 2007
    I have the same problem... played through it twice and it froze at the same exact spot.
  • edited January 2007
    There may already be some suggested workarounds / fixes in the Tech support forum here
  • edited January 2007
    I tried the workaround that was mentioned in this forum and it didn't work. I really want too play the game but it sucks when I am not even able too get past the 1st puzzle.
  • edited January 2007
    I am posting this again in the hopes that someone will actually be able too help me I am having trouble with Situation Comedy freezing. I tried the workaround mentioned in this forum but I am still freezing when I try too leave Bosco's even when I tried windowed mode. Please somebody help me, I really love playing Sam and Max again but it would be so much better without all the bugs, the 1st episode ran fine but now this :confused: .
  • edited January 2007
    Maybe this can help: When you are done talking to Bosco and watched the skinbodied rat sequence, SAVE and then procede to the door... it will of course freeze again but when you restart the game, it should let you go through the door.

I haven't tried, but you can try restarting the game after saving instead of making it freeze so it's up to you.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion, Frenchdork. Zenmax, can you try it and let us know how it goes?

Also I'm merging a few threads on this subject into the same thread. Please don't post a new thread to ask about the same question, it just makes it harder for us to keep track of the problems people are asking about. :o
  • edited January 2007
    frenchdork's workaround works for me. The other suggestions in this thread didn't.

Very frustrating that the game locks up 2 minutes in to the game. Episode 1 was flawless on my machine.

edit: 5 minutes later and the whole game locks up when I'm taking to Sybil. This is ridiculous. But I suppose thats for another thread.
  • edited January 2007
    I have the same problem. Very annoying. Dual screen setup for me, could that be the cause of the problem? Trying to find a common factor between all people that have this particular problem.
  • edited January 2007
    This problems makes the game unplayable on my machine as well. Can we get any sort of reply to this problem from TellTale? Maybe an official workaround or perhaps a patch? Or maybe a refund? :)
    edited January 2007
    Hi guys,

We're continuing to look into these problems and I'm told an updated version of the game is forthcoming. Sometimes it can be hard to track down what the problem is because not all crashes are caused by the same thing.

The problem with leaving Bosco's appears to happen if you do things in Bosco's in a certain order (but we don't know what order since we haven't been able to reproduce it). The workaround of saving after the rat sequence and then restarting the game seems to be working for people so that's what we recommend right now.

Grug, since you didn't post another thread about the Sybil crash, I'm not sure what the problem is. Are you still having trouble? If so, could you tell us your system specs?

Anyone else who's still having a problem - please try the workaround of saving the game then restarting if it's a freeze in Bosco's. If it's NOT a freeze in Bosco's that you're asking about, we need you to be more specific about what's happening, and also provide your system specs.

Ayaffe - if you want a refund, we can do that. Send an email to support@telltalegames.com and say why, and we'll take care of it.

Thanks everyone. Sorry we don't always have the answer immediately - I know it's frustrating. We're doing our best to get everyone's issues resolved but it takes time.
  • edited February 2007
    Just to confirm, this bug is still in the game (I downloaded it yesterday) but disabling full screen mode before leaving Bosco's and then enabling it again works.
    As it turns out, you have to do this every time you go into Bosco's, not just the first time.
    edited February 2007
    Yep, we have not released the new version of the game yet, but when we do I think this problem will be fixed. It will hopefully be within the next couple of weeks.
  • edited February 2007
    No need for a refund, but thanks for the thought :). Game seems to work OK in windowed mode.
  • edited March 2007
    Hi, I found the same problem, but I managed to get thru by NOT having conversation with Bosco ,before rats have left. I just said the last line to Bosco..
    It worked for me, thanks for the other advice..

Ps: I just bought the whole serie, and I haven't seen other bugs :)
  • edited April 2007
    Hi there,

I believe its been 2 months since Emely's post but no patches seems to have surfaced.:(

I just baught the whole season and I played through episode 1 without any problems.

When I got to episode 2 I can only play for 3 seconds (after introduction) then the game crashes instantly and every single time.:confused:

Im playing on Japanese Windows XP sp 2
    I have a an Nvidia GeForce 6800 with latest Forceware 93.71 (international version)
    I have 1 GB of ram.

I tried to update to the Omega drivers that were recommended in this forum but it didnt help so I reverted to the new Forceware. Same result anyhow.

Im a bit frustrated that I cant play episode 2 cause I refuse to go on to episode 3 in advance or I will feel like I missed something out.

Any good advice on what to do here? Any patches coming along?
  • edited April 2007
    I think it was mentioned elsewhere that patches werent going to be worked on until the rest of the season was finished.

In the meantime have you tried backdating to some of the previous versions of NVIDIA's official drivers Thrakhath?

Edit: Previous official drivers can be found here, make sure to download the correct language. You want to try backdating to about 8.50 or below. http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html
This discussion has been closed.